What does Al and UL stand for......biltu

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

biltu

Post by biltu » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:31 pm

What is AL and UL stands for
I think AL is Ascendant Lord
and what is UL ?

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:48 am

biltu wrote:What is AL and UL stands for
I think AL is Ascendant Lord
and what is UL ?
Dear Bittu,

None of these acronyms are universally followed or mean the same thing. We create those as we go,  as we try to capture sanskrit original and express that and those terms in english. AL to me would represent arudha-lagna, UL will be upapada-lagna. AL could also mean ascendant-lord, but I prefer L1. Navamsha is often acronymed as D-9, but I prefer V-9 (Varga), some see GK and think it represents Gulika, but to me it represents GnatiKaraka.

You say, "Tomato" but it sounds like my "Tomaato" :-)

Hence, serious publications DEMAND that when we use acronyms and abbreviations, they be explained, elaborated at least in footnotes or annotations, the first time they get used in a publication. But let us not lose our perspective. We are not writing for NATURE or SCIENCE, but just an internet forum. Where contexts change and so do meanings!

Love, Light, Levity,

biltu

Post by biltu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:34 pm

Thank you very much Rohiniranjan to clear my quarries :)

Another question I have below

upapada-lagna mean that the lagna we get from the Bhava Chalit ?

anyone welcome to reply my answare :)

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:30 pm

biltu wrote:Thank you very much Rohiniranjan to clear my quarries :)

Another question I have below

upapada-lagna mean that the lagna we get from the Bhava Chalit ?

anyone welcome to reply my answare :)
Time to open the books, Bittu...! Instead of Internet explorer  ;-)

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi biltu ji,
Rightly said by Rohiniranjan ji .. back to books  :) OR if IE is your favorite place then u cn try
Learning Forum in mysticboard and go through lessons present there .Its Free :)
Hope it would be helpful

Regards,
Raman Deep Singh

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:41 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Hi biltu ji,
Rightly said by Rohiniranjan ji .. back to books  :) OR if IE is your favorite place then u cn try
Learning Forum in mysticboard and go through lessons present there .Its Free :)
Hope it would be helpful

Regards,
Raman Deep Singh
Ha ha! Book or E-Book or PDF or 'organized' lessons is what I meant by 'books' :-)

Love, Light, Levity,

biltu

Post by biltu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:32 pm

upapada-lagna is the 12th house of the lagna, just I read it from the internet.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:13 pm

biltu wrote:Is it so hard to telling it here ?
Hmm...I am not an Astrologer, but I will give you my view.

When RR told you;

None of these acronyms are universally followed or mean the same thing. We create those as we go,  as we try to capture sanskrit original and express that and those terms in english.

Then you have got your answer to your question, BECAUSE you have never told us where these acronyms of you appear.

If your first acronym is AI....then it might reefer  to Artificial Intelligence, which is used in PC, an make us able to make Astrology Software.

I investigated a bit on the net by putting in "What do UL mean in Vedic Astrology" then I got a nice information about Upapada Lagna.

I invested a bit Further, because if Your question about AI, rather was AL, then this takes us to Arudha Lagna.

I am not sure this is the information you seek, but I tell you this because it show a way to do thing, and at the same time urge you to give as much information as you can, when asking about acronym, because the same acronym, can have different meanings in different settings.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:37 pm

biltu wrote:upapada-lagna is the 12th house of the lagna, just I read it from the internet.
No Bittu, it is generally not so, though it can be at times! ;-)

Love, Light, Exploration...

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Rhutobello wrote:
biltu wrote:Is it so hard to telling it here ?
Hmm...I am not an Astrologer, but I will give you my view.

When RR told you;

None of these acronyms are universally followed or mean the same thing. We create those as we go,  as we try to capture sanskrit original and express that and those terms in english.

Then you have got your answer to your question, BECAUSE you have never told us where these acronyms of you appear.

If your first acronym is AI....then it might reefer  to Artificial Intelligence, which is used in PC, an make us able to make Astrology Software.

I investigated a bit on the net by putting in "What do UL mean in Vedic Astrology" then I got a nice information about Upapada Lagna.

I invested a bit Further, because if Your question about AI, rather was AL, then this takes us to Arudha Lagna.

I am not sure this is the information you seek, but I tell you this because it show a way to do thing, and at the same time urge you to give as much information as you can, when asking about acronym, because the same acronym, can have different meanings in different settings.
Grandpa,

Although you are a baby boomer (like some more of us and I am strictly talking about normal human beings who walk on the planet earth and put on their trousers one leg at a time ;-)), you have shown a simple and logical way to Bittu, which I thought all younger folks raised in computer generations should have in them as second nature! Like a knee-jerk reflex, they should go to search engines and begin searching! Just as you did or I would. It is only when I do not find answers there that I come and ask questions on the forum etc. Unless those times, when I post a new topic and initiate some discussions and thinking amongst my friends here :-)

I never do that to 'show off my knowledge' which is very meagre, or to test people or set up a mental trap! Some suspicious people with loaded sixth houses have earlier questioned my motives for initiating discussions. Perhaps not here, and I do not specifically remember or pay attention, where as a matter of fact. :-(

I do love to challenge and poke people into 'thinking'. A beautiful mind is crime to waste through indolence, I remind them! And, collectively, we all do have a beautiful mind!!..

I hope I am doing the 'healthy' thing...?

Love and Light,

Return to “Vedic Astrology”