Validity of jyotish softwares pls

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

cms

Validity of jyotish softwares pls

Post by cms » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:09 am

hi

are paid astro softwares credible ( like parasharas light , goravani , divyadrishti p ro , jyotish deepika etc )
if yes , does this mean the consultations with astrologers are soon a history .

also just now happened to see this vjyotish software site which claims that its highly accurate and considers all aspects of jyotish like asgtakavargas etc ,. and provides info abt everything required ( seeing which made me open this thread ) . Developed by some astrologer , shyam it seems . www.howisyourdaytoday.com/ListIdx.htm
www.howisyourdaytoday.com/faq/faqvj/faqusg04.htm

Rohiniranjan

Re: Validity of jyotish softwares pls

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:42 am

cms wrote:hi

are paid astro softwares credible ( like parasharas light , goravani , divyadrishti p ro , jyotish deepika etc )
if yes , does this mean the consultations with astrologers are soon a history .

also just now happened to see this vjyotish software site which claims that its highly accurate and considers all aspects of jyotish like asgtakavargas etc ,. and provides info abt everything required ( seeing which made me open this thread ) . Developed by some astrologer , shyam it seems . www.howisyourdaytoday.com/ListIdx.htm
www.howisyourdaytoday.com/faq/faqvj/faqusg04.htm

My dear young friend,

I am not sure how deeply interested you have been in Jyotish or from which platform you are speaking, dear, but simply consider this:

Wordprocessing software have been available for longer than Jyotish software have been, right? But not till this day has there been created a word-processor that can create the prose or poetry that only a living human being can!

Tools must not be confused with what they help us humans to create! They just make certain tedious steps faster, easier!

Even 'automatic' hammers need to be controlled by human hands in order to 'hit the nail on its head -- squarely, so that it hits 'home'!

What helps is to actually use the 'longer' way so that when the automaton makes an error, there is some chance of revelation...

But everyone is after sliced bread, toasted and served already buttered, these days! No one, it seems, is into the joy of taking the grains, milling them and then using the flour to be mixed with a little bit of salt of common sense and water in judicious amounts and using the third house, kneading the mixture into a dough, and then flattening it skilfully and then baking a chapaati. Yes it takes time, but all the time one spends in making the final product with human attention, labour and love is what creates the 'food' that is fit for the athiti, whom some of us simpler Indian Souls treat as God!

Naa samjhay woh anaa(r)di hain!

Love, Light, Patience, Hard work!

cms

Post by cms » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:59 am

^ Ok that said, but are those  software interpretations as good as personal astrology consultation .. Cos, if that is , why to pay , when the ful version torrents are available :P ... Sorry abt the leeching , but its a tempting offer .

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:16 am

cms wrote:^ Ok that said, but are those  software interpretations as good as personal astrology consultation .. Cos, if that is , why to pay , when the ful version torrents are available :P ... Sorry abt the leeching , but its a tempting offer .
Perhaps a larger chunk of the 7billion and bloating daily, in numbers and physical sizes, CMS, never seek beyond the newspaper astrology columns! And Dell Horoscope candies! Why are you 'tempted' to be any different? Just because a 'candy store (Lala ka thelaa)' seems to be *seemingly* around? :-)

Love, Light, Candles!

cms

Post by cms » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:26 am

Precisely ! and also that i am not THE cms . :D

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:15 am

cms wrote:Precisely ! and also that i am not THE cms . :D
I KNOW! The forum software is LINEAR, and so even when something gets written for ALL who care to read, it gets posted as if responding to a particular post or poster! Which raises the confusion in certain minds as you have kindly illustrated through your confession-sonfusion...?! ;-)

Love, Light, Sharing!,

Brahma Mihira

Post by Brahma Mihira » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 am

These commercial astrology software need to be used by only professional astrologers. Modern astrological software can do calculations correctly but if programmer has less skills, then these software can be wrong in some cases such as avasthas and other narrow or complex calculations. This can lead to certain mistakes related with data types and decimal points in programming languages such as java, vb or c++. Hence amateur astrologers and students firstly master every calculation in astrology manual way before use software.  Also some programs using default ayanamsa and certain settings can be changed with normal settings used by your astrology school. Software can’t do readings because astrology is spiritual subject, so does more correct reading astrologer must shine his intuition or divine abilities. Before give final readings, astrologer must evaluate traditional or manual calculations then want to compare those data with data received by software. Better you bond to one software then do more researching.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:36 pm

Brahma Mihira wrote:These commercial astrology software need to be used by only professional astrologers. Modern astrological software can do calculations correctly but if programmer has less skills, then these software can be wrong in some cases such as avasthas and other narrow or complex calculations. This can lead to certain mistakes related with data types and decimal points in programming languages such as java, vb or c++. Hence amateur astrologers and students firstly master every calculation in astrology manual way before use software.  Also some programs using default ayanamsa and certain settings can be changed with normal settings used by your astrology school. Software can’t do readings because astrology is spiritual subject, so does more correct reading astrologer must shine his intuition or divine abilities. Before give final readings, astrologer must evaluate traditional or manual calculations then want to compare those data with data received by software. Better you bond to one software then do more researching.
Yes like they say, "A known devil is better than an unknown devil!" :-)

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:31 am

I personally think using a software is quite beneficial to a beginner, specially for some one who does not have great math skills but is still interested in astrology. Software like JHora and Parashara light have a large following. A user has enough means to find out and keep track of known defects/problems with them. I will rather trust the mathemetical ability of PVR Narasimha than my own! It just helps me to focus on astrology.

As in all professions specialization happens. We can look at this as "astro maths" and "astro reading"

srimedico

Post by srimedico » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:06 am

I once used such software for horoscope compatiability .. It gave our ashtkoot compatiability as 25/36 and said that its a excelent match with no nadi or brihkoot dosh .. However , seems that our kuja intensity disparity is beyond the permissibility of a match ( with me having 64% and girl's only 14% ) ... And our suns and ascendants are in 2-12 ( it claims that its bad positioning ) and that our moons and venuses at 4-10( bad again it seems ) ... So basing on this it denies us :(

so may be these softwares help after all
Last edited by srimedico on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:57 pm

srimedico wrote:I recently used such software for horoscope compatiability .. It gave our ashtkoot compatiability as 25/36 and said that its a excelent match with no nadi or brihkoot dosh .. However , seems that our kuja intensity disparity is beyond the permissability of a match ( with me having 64% and girl's only 14% ) ... And our suns and ascendants are in 2-12 ( it claims that its bad positioning ) and that our moons and venuses at 4-10( bad again it seems ) ... So basing on this it denies us :(

so may be these softwares help after all
Search for peace in Ghalib's poems:
http://www.urdupoetry.com/ghalib.html

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:32 am

mysbcrs wrote:I personally think using a software is quite beneficial to a beginner, specially for some one who does not have great math skills but is still interested in astrology. Software like JHora and Parashara light have a large following. A user has enough means to find out and keep track of known defects/problems with them. I will rather trust the mathemetical ability of PVR Narasimha than my own! It just helps me to focus on astrology.

As in all professions specialization happens. We can look at this as "astro maths" and "astro reading"
Dear Forum-friend,

If your posting was triggered by something I wrote, which may have seemed a bit 'anti-softwareish' let me clarify that I think software is very important tool. It is a 'utility' which cuts down the time required. My math abilities are limited and I recall that when I prepared charts manually, it used to exhaust me. Very few times it so happened that I cast the chart and soon after I read it! With software that gap has vanished. Initially, I tried a few software but they were making errors in simple things like shadbala (some, not all balas). Each had their strong and weak points because in order to make their products attractive, a lot of features were hastily employed and in most cases the customers became the paying beta testers! Go ahead, call me cynical! :-) But despite their spots and warts, my work would come to a stand-still without those. I am getting familiarised with Narasimha's software because then I wish to try out Vinay Jha's 'default SSS' settings as I have promised him. I am slow :-(

And this is true too that a human calculating manually risks making different errors each time, whereas the same version of software will keep making the same error and is easier to catch. But some commercial software have been changing code significantly between versions and then that becomes a while new ball game! And new headaches for the customers.

One 'problem' with Narasimha's software is that he has been too generous (I say that gleefully and not critically!) and there are many things that the enthusiastic beginner can over do and change many defaults at one time and then forget to reset and that can get a bit hairy! It is good that Vinay's settings are a one click 'reset' without having to reset multiple things. Why a beginner, which I am definitely not, in commercial software I have from time to time I have set things then got confusing charts because I was using the experimental set and suddenly the charts did not make sense! So, from that point on, I write down the parameters changed so that I can reset them to Rohiniranjan default settings :-), tedious process but a life-saver, this non-aversion of mine to use pencil and paper along with the software! Call me puritanical!!

More worrisome were the rare moments when I was reading the wrong charts, but the readings were coming out accurately. Prabhu ki maya. I have stopped questioning those things and moments.

Love and Light and Learning,

Brahma Mihira

Post by Brahma Mihira » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:18 am

Yes, software are only tools, as every tools, different software have different calculating options and different end results, such as degrees of planets, sayanadhi avastas, shadbala graphs, etc. So it is good bond to one software then research with your astrology school and its teaching. After sometime, you can find out calculating option suit as same as manual calculating. I'm also not anti-softwareish as i use mainly Jhora with Horoscope Explorer 5 and Kundli 7.0 Pro. Also in astrology, we don't have advance maths as we learn in university. Hence beginners should master astro maths even with hard. It helps to get more benefit from astro software.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:28 am

Brahma Mihira wrote:Yes, software are only tools, as every tools, different software have different calculating options and different end results, such as degrees of planets, sayanadhi avastas, shadbala graphs, etc. So it is good bond to one software then research with your astrology school and its teaching. After sometime, you can find out calculating option suit as same as manual calculating. I'm also not anti-softwareish as i use mainly Jhora with Horoscope Explorer 5 and Kundli 7.0 Pro. Also in astrology, we don't have advance maths as we learn in university. Hence beginners should master astro maths even with hard. It helps to get more benefit from astro software.
Agree! Though, spherical trigonometry was something I ended up scratching my head over  :smt017

Maybe you went to a better school than I did, or in more advanced times, considering that you are nearly half my age ;-)

Love and Light

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:18 am

Dear RR ji and Brahma Mihira ji,

I was just trying to gibe a beginner's perspective as against the ones given by more experienced people like you. I completely agree with Brahma Mihira that learning the maths part of it will definitely make a better astrologer out of us. But for those who are weak at maths need not feel deterred as they can use these software. They just need to keep their mind alert and look for tell tale signs of "something amiss"! Be active (atleast read) in the various astro fora, specially those dedicated to the software. Also all beginners have to traverse quite a distance (may be years) before they can  start experimenting with finer and "discretionary" features provided by these software.

Return to “Vedic Astrology”