What makes a good astrologer?

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

dhana yoga

What makes a good astrologer?

Post by dhana yoga » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:43 am

i want all to express.
i love vedic astrology and studing on this subject for 4 years now.

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:09 am

This is what I had said in another thread on the same site & am repeating the same thing.

"Ok I am no expert but I will say this, to be a Astrologer is like a roof supported by pillars, the pillars are, 1. Knowledge, 2. Intution, 3. Decency & Civility, 4. Communication, 5. Selfless nature, 6. Universal Love & Brotherhood, 7. A desire to help ppl, & I think a couple of other pillars, whose name I am not sure about. If & only if a person has these pillars (can also be called values or charactersitics) can they be called a real Astrologer."

Rohiniranjan

Re: What makes a good astrologer?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:50 pm

If I may, the following would be the desirable attributes of anyone who would win the prize of being a good astrologer:

Good personal qualities, such as an enquiring mind, not plagued by superstition, emotional lability, too much arrogance and an even-keeled world-view generally.

The ability to not get frustrated easily, and the persistence to follow difficult leads, classics being full of those.

The ability to recognize failures and to learn from those and try and surmount those through justifiable explanations (not thok-peet jyotish, which tries to fit the world into a box according to the world-view of the astrologer!)

Not to give up studying books and charts on a regular basis and to pronounce things cautiously and with words reflecting the level of certainty (jyotishis are not all the time absolutely sure of all they say because some are based on firm rules, others a bit more experimental etc -- the client, paying or not should be made aware of the level of likelihood.

Critically examine one's performance in an ongoing manner and if possible to realize that astrologer is human too and affected by happenings and events in their lives and in their chart.

If predictions fail, they should be revisited for personal study and learning and not swept under the rug.

RR-CP

[quote="dhana yoga"]i want all to express.[/quote]

Rohiniranjan

Re: What makes a good astrologer?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:09 am

Prctice, practice, practice with charts charts and charts!

And I mean practical experience and not what one charges!!

RR

[quote="dhana yoga"]i want all to express.[/quote]

Return to “Vedic Astrology”