Jupter's Exaltation Sign?

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Kissna

Jupter's Exaltation Sign?

Post by Kissna » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:52 pm

Rishi Parashar states Cancer as Jupiter's exaltation sign. This is highly regarded by many astrologers around the world. However, since the ancient days, some astrologers have also stated that Jupiter is exalted in Aquarius. Now, this gets really interesting.

Cancer is a Cardinal Water sign, whilst Aquarius is a Fixed Air sign. Using logic, Jupiter's better placement does seem to be Aquarius. Plus, there is a special intrigue in the sign Aquarius and especially in conditions when Jupiter is in Aquarius.

What do you experts reckon?

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:01 pm

I am no expert, but according to my limited knowledge, Jupiter is Exaltated in Cancer [ 5 Degrees], Debilitated in Capricorn [5 Degrees], Moola Trikona in Sagittarius [0 to 13 degrees], & in it's own sign if it is in Sagittarius & Pisces, but only between [13 to 30 Degrees].

Kissna

Post by Kissna » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:07 pm

Obviously, we all know that, but I'm talking about this at a much broader level - not just, what is written in the basics of Astrology.

Why did so many seers claim Aquarius as Jupiter's exaltation sign? There must be something hidden....

dhana yoga

jupiter

Post by dhana yoga » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:22 pm

exaltion planet means a planet with strength. But it must be known than wat matters is the numerical strength on the planet or the % shadbala. Strength below 1 is considered weak, more or equal to 1.2-quiet strong ,
more or equal to 1.3-very strong. so it any planet with more than 1.3 as its strength is considered powerful enough to give the results of an exaltion planet. jupiter may be weakest in cancer or aquries if jup strenght is less then 1 and it can be more powerful in capricorn if its strenght is more than 1.3.
i love vedic astrology and studing on this subject for 4 years now.

arian_1c

re:

Post by arian_1c » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:56 pm

hi kissna(beautiful name by the way),
right, firstly, honestly speaking, i haven't really read or heard abt Jup being exalted in Aquarius, but, it is really considered a good placement for Jup.
Cancer, may be exaltation for jup, but many consider it <OK>, because posited in cancer Jup is always in the 8th house from its mooltrikona sign, Sagittarius and hence is unable to do any good for Sagittarius and its concerned house.

Aquarius is Saturn's positive and mooltrokona sign, it has got all the positive attributes related to saturn, viz. charity, kindness, thoughtfulness, leadership, trying to make the world a better place. Jup in Aquarius really finds itself a really supportive house, and so enhances the good qualities of jup. If such Jup, is also in a trikona, it makes the person really religious and charitable.

can u mention a text or a link regarding jup's exaltation in aquarius

cheers
sahil

Rohiniranjan

Re: Jupter's Exaltation Sign?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:24 am

even if I am not an expert, Kissna, I like your style! :-)

I have always treated exaltation-debilitation (180 degrees apart) as something akin to the lunar phases. Amavasya (Newmoon) is 180 degrees apart from Purnima (full moon) but again if you look at a cycle, it is not (explore that!).

But generally speaking it is and so the uchchabala in shadbala is calculated on that 180 degree reference. The strength of a planet on this scale is calculated by how far ahead it is with zero being the point of debility and 60 (100%) being the point of extreme exaltation! Very lunar phase (pakshabala like!)

Full moon is strong in quality -- it is a benefic and amavasya moon is malefic!

I wondered if that is the key for the shadbala strength (not just exaltation, but also digbala which is also based on the same 180 degree model!)

I would take the exaltation bal as an indicator of beneficience and not just strength!

Malefics that are exalted turn into benefics, lose their sharp destructive properties, unlessly severely afflicted otherwise (always look for other factors when one factor begins to look too sweet! To be true!!).

And if the exalted planet (in rashi at first glance) also turn out to be quantitatively strong overall (shadbala) and spiritually (vimshopaka) and ready to pounce into action and like tree laden with ripe fruits desperately ready to give (ashtakavarga), then you have a karmic windfall waiting for you to open your arms and receive!

RR

[quote="Kissna"]Rishi Parashar states Cancer as Jupiter's exaltation sign. This is highly regarded by many astrologers around the world. However, since the ancient days, some astrologers have also stated that Jupiter is exalted in Aquarius. Now, this gets really interesting.

Cancer is a Cardinal Water sign, whilst Aquarius is a Fixed Air sign. Using logic, Jupiter's better placement does seem to be Aquarius. Plus, there is a special intrigue in the sign Aquarius and especially in conditions when Jupiter is in Aquarius.

What do you experts reckon?[/quote]

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:29 am

Kissna wrote:Rishi Parashar states Cancer as Jupiter's exaltation sign. This is highly regarded by many astrologers around the world. However, since the ancient days, some astrologers have also stated that Jupiter is exalted in Aquarius. Now, this gets really interesting.

What do you experts reckon?
Our understanding is still far behind compared to Rishi Parashara,
He is the ultimate authority and all others are just trying to explain what he said.
Aquarius is the pot of nectar of which Rahu got to taste a drop hence he is the co lord of Kumbha. Rahu is the anti thesis of Guru, how can Guru feel happy in that sign.
Exaltation means the Planet is happiest like it is on a picnic (no worries),
Moola trikona means it is in office,
swakshetra means it is at home.
Kumbha is also the natural bhadak sign of the rasi chakra.

Have you seen Elephants bathing in water?
Is it not when it is the happiest?

for now,
vivek

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:05 am

Mr. Shetty,

While appreciating your posting which is quite interesting, I must ask a few things --

If Parashara was so great and perfect, why did he leave it to the very mortals of kaliyuga whom he mocks in his chapter on ashtakavarga, to explain and elaborate on what he meant? Heck -- if I knew I was going to be followed by an army of dunces, I would make sure that I wrote in details with example charts and horoscopes so that there was no confusion attributed to what I wrote! Makes sense? And yet none of these all knowing super astrologers of yore left anything behind other than a bunch of verses! NO examples, no charts, no horoscopes! One wonders why ...!

If you are getting the impression that I am not enamoured by the religion of astrology, you are getting the right impression!

Truth be told, the rishis don't care what we received or what we get out of it and all prostrations aside, we would have to figure it all out for ourselves. There are also those who believe that the original BPHS remaining from the oral tradition had some 300 slokas and then it was embellished over the centuries hence!

Since it was oral tradition, it makes sense that there were hundreds and not thousands of slokas! Assuming that there was a Neanderthal man with a smaller brain in our past!

There is only one recourse -- bite the bullet and start digging for terra ferma. No amount of religious and new-agey belief will resurrect astrology from the morass of superstition and muck it has fallen into.

That said, I like your analogy of the planet being in its home, office (area of balance and strength). I think you are thinking of exultation when you said that the exalted planet is like an elephant frolicking in a pond! I would say it is more like the eagle high up in the sky looking down upon the earth from its high viewpoint!

RR

[quote="vivekvshetty"][quote="Kissna"]Rishi Parashar states Cancer as Jupiter's exaltation sign. This is highly regarded by many astrologers around the world. However, since the ancient days, some astrologers have also stated that Jupiter is exalted in Aquarius. Now, this gets really interesting.

What do you experts reckon?[/quote]

Our understanding is still far behind compared to Rishi Parashara,
He is the ultimate authority and all others are just trying to explain what he said.
Aquarius is the pot of nectar of which Rahu got to taste a drop hence he is the co lord of Kumbha. Rahu is the anti thesis of Guru, how can Guru feel happy in that sign.
Exaltation means the Planet is happiest like it is on a picnic (no worries),
Moola trikona means it is in office,
swakshetra means it is at home.
Kumbha is also the natural bhadak sign of the rasi chakra.

Have you seen Elephants bathing in water?
Is it not when it is the happiest?

for now,
vivek[/quote]

vivekvshetty

Exaltaion and debiliation

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:10 am

Namaskaar All,
Jupiter is the Elephant, Kark is the lake or river, Guru is bathing in Kark and is the happiest there.

Makara is the crocodile and Jupiter (elephant) is caught in its vice like grip, this is debiliation. Break (bhanga) is Gajendra moksha.

We have still a lot to understand.

for now,
vivek

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:01 am

Oh we still do have a lot to understand.

Since the topic of Shadbala has come up here, I would like to ask the following:
1. How come there is no Shadbala for Rahu & Ketu?
2. If a planet is exalted but the Shadbala value is less, will the native not recieve any benefit out of it?
3. How come some planets or Rahu or Ketu, are Exalted or in own sign or in Moolatrinkona, but still shown as Mealific or Neutral instead of benific (in function)?
4. What affect does a planet, which has low Shadbala value, is Enemy in Dignity, & still benefic, have on the native?
5. Is there any move by anyone to try calculating the Shadbala of the planets Uranus, Neptune & Pluto, (I know many ppl have & will be angry on me for asking this & called & will call me an idiot & say Vedic Astrology doens't count these 3 planets, but I beg to differ, I think these 3 planets also have an importance here).

I for one feel that a lot of the real vedic texts are in one way or the other still being hidden form everyone & very few ppl know about them. I believe that, Vedic astrology might know everything, but the astrologers don't. & they should try to search for it bring out the truth, that way it helps everyone.

P.S: Ready for brickbats, if u didn't like my views or questions. :).

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:59 pm

[color=blue]Dear friend,

None of us should feel that we cannot speak or debate freely and by questioning some rigid minds with archaic and sometimes arcane thinking, that brickbats would necessarily ensue :-) On some forums run by religious organizations that may be the norm but I know at least one large forum which has links with such vedic organizations and yet the moderators are very open-minded and allow such questioning without interference. I am hoping that this one is similar too. I will address your points below as there are so many. Hopefully my experiment with font colour will work![/color]
[quote="Vishwas"]Oh we still do have a lot to understand.

Since the topic of Shadbala has come up here, I would like to ask the following:
[color=blue]RR=This is exactly what got me wondering about the differences in BPHS where early on no lordships were described but later chapters do indicate that nodes have lordships etc. This has been described with specifics in the astrotreasures article I wrote for www.boloji.com/astro
Shadbala requires certain parameters which are given for the planets with 'body' but not for the mathematical points such as lunar nodes and upagrahas (mandi, pranapada etc). Obviously these must be treated differently than the seven classical planets! The nodes steal the bala of the planets they are surrogates of! I will not go any further on this.[/color]
2. If a planet is exalted but the Shadbala value is less, will the native not recieve any benefit out of it?
[color=blue]RR=Exaltation changes the quality of the planet primarily (like pakshabala of moon-- same model!) so its strength of expression and perception will be tied with the shadbala and its awastha (for behaviour during dashas etc)[/color]
3. How come some planets or Rahu or Ketu, are Exalted or in own sign or in Moolatrinkona, but still shown as Mealific or Neutral instead of benific (in function)?
[color=blue]RR=see answer to 1[/color]
4. What affect does a planet, which has low Shadbala value, is Enemy in Dignity, & still benefic, have on the native?
[color=blue]RR=Hope you are familiar with the expression: Garib ki bibi, joru gaon ki![/color]
5. Is there any move by anyone to try calculating the Shadbala of the planets Uranus, Neptune & Pluto, (I know many ppl have & will be angry on me for asking this & called & will call me an idiot & say Vedic Astrology doens't count these 3 planets, but I beg to differ, I think these 3 planets also have an importance here).
[color=blue]RR=You are welcome to demonstrate their influences and people will begin to listen. People generally make claims but do not carry through with products. This sadly has been the case with the transsaturnines in jyotish. Just to add a bit of variation on the theme, the so called uranian, plutonian and neptunian signatures/colour/effects/influences can also be seen through the classical planet scheme of 2 lights, 5 planets and 2 nodes. More later on this and possibly elsewhere ;-)[/color]

I for one feel that a lot of the real vedic texts are in one way or the other still being hidden form everyone & very few ppl know about them. I believe that, Vedic astrology might know everything, but the astrologers don't. & they should try to search for it bring out the truth, that way it helps everyone.
[color=blue]RR=Possibly and others say that some of the texts that are available have been doctored and patched as well. One person who researches these things called me the other day and told that original BPHS had only a few hundred slokas but grew over time! I don't know, that is not my area of interest -- i.e., astro-archeology!![/color]

P.S: Ready for brickbats, if u didn't like my views or questions. :).[/quote][color=blue][/color][color=red][/color][color=darkred][/color][color=blue][/color]

Rohiniranjan

Re: re:

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:06 am

Sahil,

Just because a planet is in 8th house from its sign or MT does not mean it would not be able to help the house! I know there is a rule that says that planets should not be in 6,8,12 from their houses but it should not be applied too literally. What in the case where cancer is lagna and jupiter in it? Will all individuals with Hamsa mahapurusha yoga plagued by illnesses and enemies because 6th lord is in lagna, or would you interpret that since the 6th lord is in 8th from that house, this will spell an end to enemies and illnesses (to pick 2 attributes)? Will it also mean that Hamsa yoga born will never have a good service (6th house) or a maternal uncle (also 6th)?

In fact I can recall a few cases where jupiter was in 8th house in cancer (sag rising) and the individual had a very strong constitution and good looks etc. Should have been other way round if this one factor theory worked. In one case if I recall, the 12th lord mars was aspecting and adding its malefic flavour to the lagnesha.

Hope you don't mind my pointing this out. I know generally people get upset when someone comments on their messages or favouite set of rules. Sorry if that is the case,

RR

[quote="arian_1c"]hi kissna(beautiful name by the way),
right, firstly, honestly speaking, i haven't really read or heard abt Jup being exalted in Aquarius, but, it is really considered a good placement for Jup.
Cancer, may be exaltation for jup, but many consider it <OK>, because posited in cancer Jup is always in the 8th house from its mooltrikona sign, Sagittarius and hence is unable to do any good for Sagittarius and its concerned house.

Aquarius is Saturn's positive and mooltrokona sign, it has got all the positive attributes related to saturn, viz. charity, kindness, thoughtfulness, leadership, trying to make the world a better place. Jup in Aquarius really finds itself a really supportive house, and so enhances the good qualities of jup. If such Jup, is also in a trikona, it makes the person really religious and charitable.

can u mention a text or a link regarding jup's exaltation in aquarius

cheers
sahil[/quote]

astrobhadauria

Post by astrobhadauria » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:40 am

RR=This is exactly what got me wondering about the differences in BPHS where early on no lordships were described but later chapters do indicate that nodes have lordships etc.
Every Image have light and dark
When you are walking in the front of light there are a shadow with you,a black image,if light on your head,the shadow is small,and when light in front of your feet,the shadow is long,it is the regulation of light and shadow,Rahu is light and Ketu is Shadow,but other stars generate like,Sun pink,Moon silver,Mars Red,Mercury green,Jupiter yellow,venus light blue,saturn dark black.
Two parts of Saturn front Rahu and back Ketu like a snake,Rahu is head and ketu is tail,every star has opposite star,like Sun has saturn,like number 108,here one is Sun zero is earth,and eight is Saturn,everyday,you can see the effects of Sun and Saturn,night is Saturn,and light is Sun,both side of earth,Sun in front we say day,and when Sun behind we say night.Starting of night and completing of day,the time of Rahu,and ending of night and starting of day,the time of Ketu,You can check,the in any chart those have fault of Kalsharp yoga,how many stars near Rahu,and how many star near ketu,You can see the image of this in [urlwww.astrobhadauria.com[/url] in Hindi,section.
Rahu and Ketu every where,Rahu like the idea of fight and ketu like idea for achivements.when time of Rahu complete the time of Saturn Start and when time of Saturn complete,the time of ketu start,like when we start the work first we use our knowledge, and after getting full knowledge about work,we start work,after completing work,we get results,first when we start a work that time we want the knowledge,the name of knowledge is Rahu,it is Vidhya or education,Goddess Sarswati,and if we have full knowledge.
next in other topic......
Good person want to make good everywhere.

arian_1c

re:

Post by arian_1c » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:49 am

rohiniranjan ji,
you can expect me to be less temperamental than that. please be free to speak your mind, after all at the end of the day, it helps me to clear my doubts.

as far as present topic is concerned, the logic I've for placements in 8th, etc. is that :
I remember posting it elsewhere too, but here it goes, we often speak of the aspects, but saying that we often forget about the partial aspects, I mean consider this, Jup is fully aspecting a house A, also aspected by Sat and Rah, and then Jup is having 50% or 75% partial aspect on a house B, unaspected by any malefic. So, won't it be right to say, house B is getting the better deal here. What I am trying to establish here is the fact that houses are not un-affected by planets we 'THINK' are not aspecting them(there are other ways of affecting too, but lets just talk about aspects here) because there will always be partial aspects we forgot to take into account, at some level i think it is a similar way of thinking as the ashtakvargas.
"The point which is 30 or 150 degrees from the planet gets no aspect at all."
So, a benefic planet like Jup will have no affect-by-aspect on the houses 2nd, 12th, 6th and 8th from it...
there is one more important thing that has skipped from my mind, but i will try and remember it.
anyways, the following topic needs a bit of serious advice as well rr ji... http://mysticboard.org/vi ... sc&start=0 , i l let my imagination wild here, but i do need some constructive scrutinizing.
regards
sahil

Rohiniranjan

Re: re:

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:17 am

Sahil ji,

Encouraged by your encouragement, I will be brave and say what is on my mind without mincing words.

Even full aspects are not black and white so including partial aspects with such confidence and strong belief in readings that one does is the work of very brave individuals.

I am still waiting for someone to definitively and without doubt demonstrate cases where such partial aspects really played a significant role in jyotish readings!

I know in bala determinations these are used but more by convention rather than definitive evidence. Not all 'components' in bala determinations should be taken as gospel would be my caveat for anyone who is interested!

RR

[quote="arian_1c"]rohiniranjan ji,
you can expect me to be less temperamental than that. please be free to speak your mind, after all at the end of the day, it helps me to clear my doubts.

as far as present topic is concerned, the logic I've for placements in 8th, etc. is that :
I remember posting it elsewhere too, but here it goes, we often speak of the aspects, but saying that we often forget about the partial aspects, I mean consider this, Jup is fully aspecting a house A, also aspected by Sat and Rah, and then Jup is having 50% or 75% partial aspect on a house B, unaspected by any malefic. So, won't it be right to say, house B is getting the better deal here. What I am trying to establish here is the fact that houses are not un-affected by planets we 'THINK' are not aspecting them(there are other ways of affecting too, but lets just talk about aspects here) because there will always be partial aspects we forgot to take into account, at some level i think it is a similar way of thinking as the ashtakvargas.
"The point which is 30 or 150 degrees from the planet gets no aspect at all."
So, a benefic planet like Jup will have no affect-by-aspect on the houses 2nd, 12th, 6th and 8th from it...
there is one more important thing that has skipped from my mind, but i will try and remember it.
anyways, the following topic needs a bit of serious advice as well rr ji... http://mysticboard.org/vi ... sc&start=0 , i l let my imagination wild here, but i do need some constructive scrutinizing.
regards
sahil[/quote]

Return to “Vedic Astrology”