Does the mention of Kalsarpa yoga, also known as KSY exist in classics?

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Rohiniranjan

Does the mention of Kalsarpa yoga, also known as KSY exist in classics?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:37 am

Has anyone looked and what did you find?

RR

arian_1c

re:

Post by arian_1c » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:02 am

well, first of all, I have only read a few classics, like BPHS, Saravali, Laghu Parashari, Garga Hora, and a few more...
I have never really came across anything to with Kal Sarpa Yoga. Its not just about the words KSY, I may be wrong but i don't even remember reading about any yoga whereing, all the planets are hemmed between Rah and Ket....

It is worthwhile finding the origin of Kal Sarpa Yoga, the origin as in when it was first mentioned....

Regards to all
Sahil

astrobhadauria

Post by astrobhadauria » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:32 am

We can make all in short like KSY !!!! try for this type formations perhaps world give perfection for this short word.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:04 am

[quote="astrobhadauria"]We can make all in short like KSY !!!! try for this type formations perhaps world give perfection for this short word.[/quote]

Mr. Astrobhaduria,

I am not sure what you were trying to convey! Please rephrase if you do not mind.

Thanks!

RR

Rohiniranjan

Re: re:

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:07 am

[quote="arian_1c"]well, first of all, I have only read a few classics, like BPHS, Saravali, Laghu Parashari, Garga Hora, and a few more...
I have never really came across anything to with Kal Sarpa Yoga. Its not just about the words KSY, I may be wrong but i don't even remember reading about any yoga whereing, all the planets are hemmed between Rah and Ket....

It is worthwhile finding the origin of Kal Sarpa Yoga, the origin as in when it was first mentioned....

Regards to all
Sahil[/quote]

Yes Sahil, it is generally believed that it is a modern creation and some have boldly stated so on the forums on jyotish.

But is it? Is this powerful space-occupier in modern literature just a figment of morbid jyotish imagination?

What do knowledgeable readers/researchers think?

RR

Rohiniranjan

Re: re:

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:19 am

Since nothing significant or substantial came forth -- the answer is: Varahamihira! :-)

RR

[quote="arian_1c"]well, first of all, I have only read a few classics, like BPHS, Saravali, Laghu Parashari, Garga Hora, and a few more...

Regards to all
Sahil[/quote]

Milind

Post by Milind » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:06 am

Dear all,

I think, this Topic has been discussed earlier, I have posted my views on this link,

http://mysticboard.org/vi ... sc&start=5

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:11 am

Hi,

Nice thread and thanks for bringing it to our notice.

You mentioned (or one of the contributors did) Varahamihira but would you share a bit more about 'where'? You sound knowledgeable in exploring the lunar nodes and their machinations.

Where did the thought come about that KSY existed only since 1930s?

RR

[quote="Milind"]Dear all,

I think, this Topic has been discussed earlier, I have posted my views on this link,

http://mysticboard.org/vi ... sc&start=5[/quote]

Milind

Post by Milind » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:39 am

I read it in "Date Panchanga" (A Popular Marathi Almanac). If I mistake not then, this Particular Article was published in between 1998 to 2001 Edition of the yearly version of Almanac. Probably 1999-2000 Almanac.

The Writer Mr. Date himself was a Well known Astrologer and Writer of Almanac, who gave detailed Analysis about KSY.

Whatever I have wrote was from there only.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 am

[quote="Milind"]I read it in "Date Panchanga" (A Popular Marathi Almanac). If I mistake not then, this Particular Article was published in between 1998 to 2001 Edition of the yearly version of Almanac. Probably 1999-2000 Almanac.

The Writer Mr. Date himself was a Well known Astrologer and Writer of Almanac, who gave detailed Analysis about KSY.

Whatever I have wrote was from there only.[/quote]
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Milind ji,

Thank you for the information about Daatey Panchang as being the source of your information about the origin of KSY in circa 1930.

Varahamihira was born way before 1930 and despite some astro-archeologists splitting hair over whether he was pre buddha or just post buddha etc (and at least one source even stated that he was probably Greek!) and all those controversies around the exact dating -- I think Varahamihira very clearly defined KSY even though he may not have called it KSY, and definitely I remember that it was not in the context of Sarpa yoga which to my understanding has no similarity with KSY!

How are we doing? ...

RR

Return to “Vedic Astrology”