mystery of eclipses !

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Phantom

mystery of eclipses !

Post by Phantom » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:04 am

2 eclipses this month made me think about my age old doubt again

Rahu is in aquarius at 22 degrees and ketu is in leo at 22 deg.

and moon has just entered leo and when it was at 13deg lunar eclipse occured today early morning in india
why didnt it happen when both moon and ketu at 22 deg ?

also sun is moving into pisces on 19th march and moon too is close to sun.
then how come there's only solar eclpise happening in first degree of pisces with rahu staying 8 degrees away from sun ?

why doesnt eclipse happen 8 days back ??

Rohiniranjan

Re: mystery of eclipses !

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:16 am

BECAuse ... eclipse is 3 dimensional!
Longitude is one dimension
Latitude is second dimension
declination is third dimension

in astrology!

Western astrologers got that very early on, but eastern ones are still catching on, it seems ...

That said, it does raise an issue that I have raised a few days ago on other forums where experts gather ;-)

No answers so far, if you must know

signed

<X>

[quote="Phantom"]2 eclipses this month made me think about my age old doubt again

Rahu is in aquarius at 22 degrees and ketu is in leo at 22 deg.

and moon has just entered leo and when it was at 13deg lunar eclipse occured today early morning in india
why didnt it happen when both moon and ketu at 22 deg ?

also sun is moving into pisces on 19th march and moon too is close to sun.
then how come there's only solar eclpise happening in first degree of pisces with rahu staying 8 degrees away from sun ?

why doesnt eclipse happen 8 days back ??[/quote]

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:00 pm

if eastern astrologers didnt get it so far, then how come they've been predicting exact time of eclipses in their panchangs for so many years ?

my doubt might be silly because all i thought was logically moon and ketu wud be at same degree in leo when lunar eclipse happened 2 days back

i never studied methods used to calculate panchang

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:45 am

Mr. Phantom,

Your posting itself reveals and illustrates exactly what I commented upon :-)

You are also confusing between eastern astrologers and panchang makers. They are not one and the same! That said, it is well known that panchaangs in India varied so much from one another that govt had to step in and that brought about the Poona conference and they decided to pick one ayanamsha etc.

Not many 'astrologers' really bother to learn even the basics of astronomy and come up with confusions. There is a difference between newmoon/fullmoon and eclipses! Eclipses occur when we move away from 'longitudes' or griha spashtas.

There are many very simple books available on astronomy and each jyotishi should spend some time in learning those basics is what my advice will be!

Take it easy, Betaal (that is Phantom in Hindi, by the way!),

RR

[quote="Phantom"]if eastern astrologers didnt get it so far, then how come they've been predicting exact time of eclipses in their panchangs for so many years ?

my doubt might be silly because all i thought was logically moon and ketu wud be at same degree in leo when lunar eclipse happened 2 days back

i never studied methods used to calculate panchang[/quote]

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:07 am

thanks RR.

btw phantom is vetaal in hindi (i've read this in a comic strip long back)
betaal is ghost ! and i'm sure i'm alive

i understand that fullmoon comes when sun-moon are exactly opp to each other, 180deg apart and newmoon when both on same degree in same sign

can you suggest any book on how to understand and calculate eclipses plz

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:35 pm

Chiranjeev,

It is Betaal not Vetaal :-)
Phantom of Indrajaal comics (the original american comic strip created by Lee Falk in 1936 (Feb 17)) depicts the ghost that walks! Hence the other name: Walker. Christopher Walker was the original Phantom and I believe the 21st generation Phantom was Kit Walker if memory serves me rightly.

Regarding your kind question about learning about eclipses and so on, you sound like a person who is independent and has strong convictions, hopefully based on practical experience. There are many books on eclipse astronomy but I would urge you to first try material that is available on the web (google and altavista search) and I am sure even that might be all you need.

Hopefully, this email helps you some...

RR

[quote="Phantom"]thanks RR.

btw phantom is vetaal in hindi (i've read this in a comic strip long back)
betaal is ghost ! and i'm sure i'm alive

i understand that fullmoon comes when sun-moon are exactly opp to each other, 180deg apart and newmoon when both on same degree in same sign

can you suggest any book on how to understand and calculate eclipses plz[/quote]

Return to “Vedic Astrology”