Ayanamsa

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

To RohiniRanjanji

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:35 pm

Dear Dada,

I did not read the book yet, but I propose to. And thank you for the wisdom.

Rishirahul

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:56 pm

Sometimes Dada, you speak my mind,which I was uncomfortable to share with many.

Lovingly,

RishiRahul

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:00 pm

[quote="RishiRahul"]Sometimes Dada, you speak my mind,which I was uncomfortable to share with many.

Lovingly,

RishiRahul[/quote]

Haha! Without a quote or context I have not a clue which message or thing you were referring to, Rishi! But I am glad I could help!

RR

Votive

Post by Votive » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:20 am

Rishiji,

I was out and could not respond to the points you raised. Meanwhile, Ranjanji has elaborated on Sri Yukteswar's proposal on the Ayanamsha issue.

We generally agree that as of now perhaps no unique acceptable value exists and the votaries of different values will need to learn to coexist with each other while the actual consumer will go on merrily predicting and getting predicted upon irrespective of the fact that the contentious issue of Ayanamsha has time and again raised many inconclusive debates. Several sets of values still continue being used with equal effectiveness by their supporters. Similar debates have raged on Yuga theories, dating of Ramayana and Mahabharata with passionate and committed support from involved participants.

The suggestion put forth by Sri Yukteswar in his book needs to be pondered upon more carefully since it links the Precessional cycle with the Yuga concept. For, Ayanamsha is but a measurement of the now well known astronomical cycle of the Precession of the Equinoxes.

All ancient civilisations spread in different corners of the world, be they the Egyptian, the Mayans, the Chinese or others had the concept of the "great Year" as the Precessional cycle was termed. The cycle of nearly 24000-26000 years has been understood in different ages. The present astronomical calculations suggest that the present rate is 5028.23 arcseconds/century. We, as of now, do not know if it is a constant rate or has it been varying or will vary. While the issue is of constant astronomical interest and has an archaeological and historical relevance likes accurately dating the Egyptian Pyramids, it has little practical value for most as of now. This, however, has a considerable significance for Jyotisha since Ayanamsha is used here as a critical tool.

It is intriguing to note that none of the Hindu or Vedic time cycles have a reference to the Precessional year. The Yuga cycles are taken as even larger cycles and the 25000 year cycle is not even referred to. Considering that all ancient civilisations defined this year, it is all the more surprising that it does not find a prominent mention even in Indian myths. And this, despite the fact that Jyotish and Panchangs use the precessional changes on a daily basis.

'The Holy Sciences' positively co-relates the Yuga Cycle with the Precession of the Equinoxes and goes on to suggest that the generally accepted calculations of the Yugas had gone awry in the dark phase of "kali" ages.

Further, even if the Yuga Cycle is larger in terms of hundreds of thousands of years, still there are bound to be sub-cycles which wax and wane like the Moon does and in these smaller cycles somewhere the universally understood 24/26000 cycle has to play a significant astrological role in defining human existence on this earth.

I could go on but I suppose this would be testing the patience and bandwidth of the Forum and its readers.

Votive

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:59 am

Sometimes I wonder, and this is not based on research or empirical studies, that since Time is not a real entity but relative, all its cycles have a holographic nature with each cycle having the same properties as another cycle. Hence, there is no right or wrong cycle and the same information can be obtained through the use of any of these. Call it the magic of nature or simply *natural*! A similar subluxivity exists also regarding symbolism of elements of jyotish, the building blocks. Minds more attuned to Newtonian Universe will therefore find it somewhat disconcerting and mind-boggling in their Black and White take on reality and in worst cases even unbelievable but such appear to be the nature of things jyotish. Perhaps the zones of duality and non-duality, my realms A and B are not black and white themselves at least at the dualistic end of the pole where shades of duality create the differences in interpretation and symbols as understood and explained by different individuals.

Otherwise it would all be too simple, readily and consistently predictable and rather Newtonian :-)

RR

The annual rate of precession does vary, by the way, and is a measurable quantity but you will have to ask an astrophysicist before you trust my words!

RR

[quote="Votive"]Rishiji,

I was out and could not respond to the points you raised. Meanwhile, Ranjanji has elaborated on Sri Yukteswar's proposal on the Ayanamsha issue.

We generally agree that as of now perhaps no unique acceptable value exists and the votaries of different values will need to learn to coexist with each other while the actual consumer will go on merrily predicting and getting predicted upon irrespective of the fact that the contentious issue of Ayanamsha has time and again raised many inconclusive debates. Several sets of values still continue being used with equal effectiveness by their supporters. Similar debates have raged on Yuga theories, dating of Ramayana and Mahabharata with passionate and committed support from involved participants.

The suggestion put forth by Sri Yukteswar in his book needs to be pondered upon more carefully since it links the Precessional cycle with the Yuga concept. For, Ayanamsha is but a measurement of the now well known astronomical cycle of the Precession of the Equinoxes.

All ancient civilisations spread in different corners of the world, be they the Egyptian, the Mayans, the Chinese or others had the concept of the "great Year" as the Precessional cycle was termed. The cycle of nearly 24000-26000 years has been understood in different ages. The present astronomical calculations suggest that the present rate is 5028.23 arcseconds/century. We, as of now, do not know if it is a constant rate or has it been varying or will vary. While the issue is of constant astronomical interest and has an archaeological and historical relevance likes accurately dating the Egyptian Pyramids, it has little practical value for most as of now. This, however, has a considerable significance for Jyotisha since Ayanamsha is used here as a critical tool.

It is intriguing to note that none of the Hindu or Vedic time cycles have a reference to the Precessional year. The Yuga cycles are taken as even larger cycles and the 25000 year cycle is not even referred to. Considering that all ancient civilisations defined this year, it is all the more surprising that it does not find a prominent mention even in Indian myths. And this, despite the fact that Jyotish and Panchangs use the precessional changes on a daily basis.

'The Holy Sciences' positively co-relates the Yuga Cycle with the Precession of the Equinoxes and goes on to suggest that the generally accepted calculations of the Yugas had gone awry in the dark phase of "kali" ages.

Further, even if the Yuga Cycle is larger in terms of hundreds of thousands of years, still there are bound to be sub-cycles which wax and wane like the Moon does and in these smaller cycles somewhere the universally understood 24/26000 cycle has to play a significant astrological role in defining human existence on this earth.

I could go on but I suppose this would be testing the patience and bandwidth of the Forum and its readers.

Votive[/quote]

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:04 am

Vtiveji and Dada,

Sometimes in 'Hindi films' and in films some change in picture is needed for making the movie interesting.

In this ayanamsa sphere (I am pretty bad at astronomy) I think it best not to find out the validity of ayanamsa scientifically. There is no need.. at all.

Let us take different ayanamsas as different values/thoughts in progresiions... if we want to proceed in DEVELOPING Astrology, accepting that due to the yuga cycles or whatever beyond our comprehention and mathematical misunderstanding could be incorrect.

In palmisrty/ through Palmistry I have learnt that every point of life has its progressed time in unequal proportions. This is no palmistry reading, but an understanding and realisation through some sciences like palmistry and numerlogy. Mind you, at the time of realisation I did not have much idea of numerology. In fact I should call it palmistry and progressions instead of palmistry and numerology.

RishiRahul

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:13 am

Pardon my being obsessive about this but this is incorrect (read on ...):
[quote="Votive"]Rishiji,

I was out and could not respond to the points you raised. Meanwhile, Ranjanji has elaborated on Sri Yukteswar's proposal on the Ayanamsha issue. ...
Votive[/quote]

I think lot of people (most!) make this mistake about thinking that the ayanamsha value given by Swami Yukteshwar Giri in The Holy Science is a proposal or endorsement by him. Quite the contrary! He clearly refers to 'astronomical books' or ephemeris/panjikas from which he took the value. Since he was discussing YUGAS and not nativities, there was perhaps less need for supreme precision or accuracy (what is a year or two off in a cycle of 25000 years!) and could easily tolerate a wrong annual rate of 54" and even an inaccuracy of several minutes or even a degree. However, from that statement in The Holy Science, students and software vendors *ran with it* and began calling it Yukteshwar Ayanamsha. This is incorrect attribution :-)

I think in my written references about this ayanamsha I clarified that or at least did not IMPLY that the ayanamsha was somehow tested and endorsed by Yukteshwar ji!

RR

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:19 am

I am okay with that Rishirahul, and that is why I do not seriously question difference ayanamshas including zero ayanamsha (tropical) which many jyotishis rather strongly do.

I would have done that fiercely if I was convinced that astrology is black and white or Newtonian as I have repeated ad nauseum.

The simple concordance that astrology is not newtonian is because the human experience it is defining or describing is not Newtonian either -- at least not solely Newtonian, like a car or pencil perhaps!

That is why I cringe when devotees of the Church of Science label Astrology as Science! Without serious thought or scientific proof!

How is the hindi movie turning out, brother?

RR

[quote="RishiRahul"]Vtiveji and Dada,

Sometimes in 'Hindi films' and in films some change in picture is needed for making the movie interesting.

In this ayanamsa sphere (I am pretty bad at astronomy) I think it best not to find out the validity of ayanamsa scientifically. There is no need.. at all.

Let us take different ayanamsas as different values/thoughts in progresiions... if we want to proceed in DEVELOPING Astrology, accepting that due to the yuga cycles or whatever beyond our comprehention and mathematical misunderstanding could be incorrect.

In palmisrty/ through Palmistry I have learnt that every point of life has its progressed time in unequal proportions. This is no palmistry reading, but an understanding and realisation through some sciences like palmistry and numerlogy. Mind you, at the time of realisation I did not have much idea of numerology. In fact I should call it palmistry and progressions instead of palmistry and numerology.

RishiRahul[/quote]

Votive

Post by Votive » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:05 am

rohiniranjan wrote:Pardon my being obsessive about this but this is incorrect (read on ...):
Votive wrote:Rishiji,

I was out and could not respond to the points you raised. Meanwhile, Ranjanji has elaborated on Sri Yukteswar's proposal on the Ayanamsha issue. ...
Votive

I think lot of people (most!) make this mistake about thinking that the ayanamsha value given by Swami Yukteshwar Giri in The Holy Science is a proposal or endorsement by him. Quite the contrary! He clearly refers to 'astronomical books' or ephemeris/panjikas from which he took the value. Since he was discussing YUGAS and not nativities, there was perhaps less need for supreme precision or accuracy (what is a year or two off in a cycle of 25000 years!) and could easily tolerate a wrong annual rate of 54" and even an inaccuracy of several minutes or even a degree. However, from that statement in The Holy Science, students and software vendors *ran with it* and began calling it Yukteshwar Ayanamsha. This is incorrect attribution :-)

I think in my written references about this ayanamsha I clarified that or at least did not IMPLY that the ayanamsha was somehow tested and endorsed by Yukteshwar ji!

RR

Attempting again for my first reply got hit by a strange key!

If I may respond, firstly to complete that quoted sentence, "The suggestion put forth by Sri Yukteswar in his book needs to be pondered upon more carefully since it links the Precessional cycle with the Yuga concept. "

I agree, Sir, indeed no where has it been claimed in the book that the value has been generated by Sri Yukteswar. He does suggest the rate though.

I am not attributing any particular value nor rate to the Ayanamsha. My suggestion is that in all Hindu/Vedic available literature this is the most prominent hypothesis which links the Precessional Cycle with the Yuga theory and thereby also factors in the Ayanamsha. An approach far different from most contemporary Ayanamsha values which are focussed on the longitudinal differences of Chitra, Revati, Moola, aldebaran or other stars from the vernal equinox on any given day.

This slim volume of a book contains more than what appears on the face of it, therefore, I beg to differ on the "could easily tolerate a wrong annual rate of 54" and even an inaccuracy of several minutes or even a degree.".....

Sometime, some day, some year, Ranjanda, when you are willing to listen I will venture to enter into a dialogue on it!!

Votive

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:33 am

[quote="Votive"]Attempting again for my first reply got hit by a strange key!

If I may respond, firstly to complete that quoted sentence, "The suggestion put forth by Sri Yukteswar in his book needs to be pondered upon more carefully since it links the Precessional cycle with the Yuga concept. "

I agree, Sir, indeed no where has it been claimed in the book that the value has been generated by Sri Yukteswar. He does suggest the rate though.

I am not attributing any particular value nor rate to the Ayanamsha. My suggestion is that in all Hindu/Vedic available literature this is the most prominent hypothesis which links the Precessional Cycle with the Yuga theory and thereby also factors in the Ayanamsha. An approach far different from most contemporary Ayanamsha values which are focussed on the longitudinal differences of Chitra, Revati, Moola, aldebaran or other stars from the vernal equinox on any given day.

This slim volume of a book contains more than what appears on the face of it, therefore, I beg to differ on the "could easily tolerate a wrong annual rate of 54" and even an inaccuracy of several minutes or even a degree.".....

Sometime, some day, some year, Ranjanda, when you are willing to listen I will venture to enter into a dialogue on it!!

Votive[/quote]

Dear Votive Candle (Who?...) that yet again promises to illuminate (so the prayer went and goes...) or not (Fear and **past** experiences await for yet another confirmation ;-)

All poetry aside: Yukteshwar did not *recommend* the rate of annual precession (of 54") either! To my understanding he was still quoting the astronomy 'text' he was referring to. Those who know more beyond the book or his writings are welcome to contribute!

Many years ago someone claimed that they have seen an ancient trunk-full of books that belonged to Swami Yukteshwara Giri in Calcutta (hmmm!) claimed to bring me the actual proof. I am still waiting nearly a decade since!

When will this Maya of paramparas, and trunks full of writings only some stranger has seen and who claims, "ONLY I KNOW!" -- When will this MAYA end? <rhetorical question! Please do not answer!! ;-)

BUT hardly SATTWIK if they ask me! If MA ever asks me!! I hope I am not snitching on my brothers and sisters?

If the HOLY SATTWIK RIVER froths during its descent from the heavens at any point, it clouds the vision of those who peer into Her Soul and through her into GOD! Still pure and venerable -- she comes down a notch! Ma turns into a sister! Same potential, but different relationship now!

RR

-- the ant that I am

Votive

Post by Votive » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:55 am

rohiniranjan wrote:
Votive wrote:Attempting again for my first reply got hit by a strange key!

Votive
Dear Votive Candle (Who?...) that yet again promises to illuminate (so the prayer went and goes...) or not (Fear and **past** experiences await for yet another confirmation ;-)

All poetry aside: Yukteshwar did not *recommend* the rate of annual precession (of 54") either! To my understanding he was still quoting the astronomy 'text' he was referring to. Those who know more beyond the book or his writings are welcome to contribute!

Many years ago someone claimed that they have seen an ancient trunk-full of books that belonged to Swami Yukteshwara Giri in Calcutta (hmmm!) claimed to bring me the actual proof. I am still waiting nearly a decade since!

When will this Maya of paramparas, and trunks full of writings only some stranger has seen and who claims, "ONLY I KNOW!" -- When will this MAYA end? <rhetorical question! Please do not answer!! ;-)

BUT hardly SATTWIK if they ask me! If MA ever asks me!! I hope I am not snitching on my brothers and sisters?

If the HOLY SATTWIK RIVER froths during its descent from the heavens at any point, it clouds the vision of those who peer into Her Soul and through her into GOD! Still pure and venerable -- she comes down a notch! Ma turns into a sister! Same potential, but different relationship now!

RR

-- the ant that I am

I am afraid I have no ancient paramparas or documents to offer in the way of proof....I just have a few thoughts which I am trying to develop.
I am neither claiming to know the precise value or rate of ayanamsha.

For milleniums there have been hundreds of paths and approaches to life and all of them lead to the same point with different asumptions and logic....It will always be the same.

However, in projecting the 24000 year cycle, Sri Yukteswar has gone further than merly quoting a panchaang for 54" values.

Votive

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:00 am

What need is there for there for theoretical proof of things like ayanamsa which seems to be a theoretically problems thru the many past years.

The fruit of the cake lies in the eating. I have said what is the practical value of ayanamsa as I see it.

Any newer/other paractical understanding is welcome.

RishiRahul

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:05 am

[quote="Vishwas"]In vedic it is mostly Lahiri. In Westren it is mostly Placidius.[/quote]

WOW!

This was a response to a query posted by Swetha quoted below:
which form is most widely followed?
1. lahiri
2. krishnamurthi
3. raman
or some other?

Vishwas (=belief/trust) is confusing between ayanamshas and house systems!

This is not good!

And yet, the two are related or could be in confusions that astrology (all kinds!) is resplendent with ...

Votive

Post by Votive » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:12 am

RishiRahul wrote:What need is there for there for theoretical proof of things like ayanamsa which seems to be a theoretically problems thru the many past years.

The fruit of the cake lies in the eating. I have said what is the practical value of ayanamsa as I see it.

Any newer/other paractical understanding is welcome.

RishiRahul
Your point is taken, Rishiji.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:20 am

[quote="Votive"]I am afraid I have no ancient paramparas or documents to offer in the way of proof....I just have a few thoughts which I am trying to develop.
I am neither claiming to know the precise value or rate of ayanamsha.

For milleniums there have been hundreds of paths and approaches to life and all of them lead to the same point with different asumptions and logic....It will always be the same.

However, in projecting the 24000 year cycle, Sri Yukteswar has gone further than merly quoting a panchaang for 54" values.

Votive[/quote]

Thank God for that (regarding ancient parampara proof! Or lack thereof!!)

While you were gone 'playing' near Ma and Baba -- I was putting yet another much touted astro-programmer to some chagrin. His demo version of program that has been touted a lot by a well known reviewer of software on the net as the next greatest thing. Few pointed questions and I saved 250 dollars if that is some standard in this Newtonian world!

Beware of the jyotish software that you embrace, free or commercial!

Even the one back in the 90s Visual Jyotish by Charles Drutman claimed to be endorsed by KN Rao was full of wrong calculations in the shadbala portion and other places.

I have never seen K.N. Rao ever publicly endorsing that software! Then again, I have not read everything tha KN Rao wrote or posted!

The software experienced balarishta as far as I can see! For whatever it was worth!

Thus goes promotional jyotish on the software or hardware front!

Return to “Vedic Astrology”