Suggestion for a good book on vedic astrology

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

swetha
Site Admin

Suggestion for a good book on vedic astrology

Post by swetha » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:16 am

hello,
was thinking of buying a book for understanding this topic better. any suggestions?

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:37 am

I saw one book called Vedic Astrology for beginners. Don't remember the authors name. But will tell u as soon as I find that book.

Vamsee

Post by Vamsee » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:18 am

personally i feel intution helps a lot more than book knowledge

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:30 pm

I agree, with the help of book knowledge or software's anyone can become astrologers, but what is needed is intution for real predictions.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:34 pm

thats very true. but along with intuition..some kind of knowledge about vedic astrology is also reqd rt?

Vamsee

Post by Vamsee » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:40 am

so read as many as you can.

i prefer all series of Raman or krishnamurthi
krishnamurthi has written about 7 volumes on vedic method and 1 complete volume only on marriage.
first 3 are intro about planets etc, dasas etc and predictions for dasas etc
4th is marriage
5,6,7 are more deeper into analysing things in detail. but this also requires constant observation of people and their charts and will understand with experience

govardhanvt

Post by govardhanvt » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:43 am

Swetha

I think you have good knowledge of  vedic astrology. why don't you try How to judge Horoscope by B  V Raman both the volumes

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:06 pm

Ok I am no expert but I will say this, to be a Astrologer is like a roof supported by pillars, the pillars are, 1. Knowledge, 2. Intution, 3. Decency & Civility, 4. Communication, 5. Selfless nature, 6. Universal Love & Brotherhood, 7. A desire to help ppl, & I think a couple of other pillars, whose name I am not sure about. If & only if a person has these pillars (can also be called values or charactersitics) can they be called a real Astrologer.

I hope mr.govardhan can correct me if I am wrong or add more names to the pillars.

Vamsee

Post by Vamsee » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:22 pm

a roof can stand on 4 pillars :) all other above said qualities by vishwas will make one a saint in himalayas.

but a good astrologer should be able to tell the current problem of the native just by one look at the chart.
he/she doesn't have to ask anything else other than birth details or chart(if available)
also should be able to give the best possible solution.

for predictions knowledge is enuf, but for right remedies, one has to have stronger intution and deeper understanding of horoscopes and human psychology.
you can't recommend same remedy for 2 persons, even if their ascendents are same, charts are similar, and problem is also same.

Their psychologies are different, so they may or may not follow it

Vamsee

Post by Vamsee » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:24 pm

before reading/suggesting solution, a good astrologer will see if the person is actually interested in knowing or are they just testing around

govardhanvt

Post by govardhanvt » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:15 pm

I feel I am not competent enough to comment , but I would like to reproduce what Gauri Shanker kapoor  has said in one of his book

Jyothish we must make it quite clear to the students that astrology is not an art of fortune telling as understood. It is on the ohter hand as much as an exact science. It is a divine science which has come from the gift from the gods. In the ancient India our sages had developed by their untiring spiritual excercises a divine eye (Divya Drishti) by which they could see the movement of planets and their effects on human beings. Astrology is a branch of Veda(Vedanga) with the aid of which itis possible to forecast all the past  and future events by considering the positionof lagna and planets at  birth , Astrology has three broad divisions namely, Siddhanta, , Samhita, and Hora.

B V Raman  said  "Phalani grahcharen succhyanti manishinah, Ko Vakta  tartamyasya Vedhsam vina"

Meaning "Those who know astrology can indicate in a way what will take place in future. Who else except the creator  Brahma can say with certainity what will definitely hapen?"

Great Varahamihra in his monument work Brihat Samhita said but the qualities one should possess to become a good astrologer. He said, " The astrologer, should be good  looking with well proportioned limbs, must be able to explain questions put by other, should worhsip the devas, observe fast and penance, should be able to suggest remedies,  should be pious , sincere, honest, with clear perception of good and bad, should be trained in sastras, should be trained in calculation of postions, etc of planets,, Samhita  and well versed  with work on astrology, must  be pure in thoughts and deeds"

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:39 pm

Very well said mr.govardhan.

& Vamsee I think it is better to be a saint in the himalayas than a fucker in another place. Don't u agree?? Sorry for the colourful language.

govardhanvt

Post by govardhanvt » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:41 pm

I feel I am not competent enough to comment , but I would like to reproduce what Gauri Shanker kapoor  has said in one of his book

Jyothish we must make it quite clear to the students that astrology is not an art of fortune telling as understood. It is on the ohter hand as much as an exact science. It is a divine science which has come from the gift from the gods. In the ancient India our sages had developed by their untiring spiritual excercises a divine eye (Divya Drishti) by which they could see the movement of planets and their effects on human beings. Astrology is a branch of Veda(Vedanga) with the aid of which itis possible to forecast all the past  and future events by considering the positionof lagna and planets at  birth , Astrology has three broad divisions namely, Siddhanta, , Samhita, and Hora.

B V Raman  said  "Phalani grahcharen succhyanti manishinah, Ko Vakta  tartamyasya Vedhsam vina"

Meaning "Those who know astrology can indicate in a way what will take place in future. Who else except the creator  Brahma can say with certainity what will definitely hapen?"

Great Varahamihra in his monument work Brihat Samhita said but the qualities one should possess to become a good astrologer. He said, " The astrologer, should be good  looking with well proportioned limbs, must be able to explain questions put by other, should worhsip the devas, observe fast and penance, should be able to suggest remedies,  should be pious , sincere, honest, with clear perception of good and bad, should be trained in sastras, should be trained in calculation of postions, etc of planets,, Samhita  and well versed  with work on astrology, must  be pure in thoughts and deeds"

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:37 pm

[quote="swetha"]thats very true. but along with intuition..some kind of knowledge about vedic astrology is also reqd rt?[/quote]

Those who have strong intuitions should not need astrology! if you own a jetplane, you don't then need to drive it on highways to get from Bombay to Delhi!

A sound knowledge of astrological principles must be acquired and an ability to look at the puzzle (horoscope) from different angles. Astrological deduction requires one to identify patterns (yogas etc) and to be able to weigh out options and multiple interacting factors in a horoscope to reach a conclusion and predict accordingly. It is a long process and requires a specific type of mind. Some individuals do short-cut the process a bit and use intuition to pick out from a mix of mutually conflicting factors. But they would still need the astrological background.

On the other hand if intuition is highly developed (yogi babas and brahmacharis etc) then they can take off right away rather than going through the huge tomes.

Anyone serious about jyotish must study brihat parashar hora shastra, critically.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:02 am

[quote="rohiniranjan

Those who have strong intuitions should not need astrology! if you own a jetplane, you don't then need to drive it on highways to get from Bombay to Delhi! [/quote]  

True, but you still need to know how to fly from Bombay to Delhi, to rent someone to do it for you, can't help you here :smt005 (hehehe sry had to grab it  :smt005 )

But you are right, in order to be a good reader in any art of prediction you need to have a good intuitions but also imaginations, because this allow you to see things you else would overlook.

But, as said, the main thing must be to understand the principle of the art you shall practise, and the more you know....the better you can predict :smt004

I myself try to go true Parker's Astrology by Karen & Derek Parker....but that might not be Vedic  :smt005    :smt006

Return to “Vedic Astrology”