The first step of Vedic Astrology

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

abhishekh

The first step of Vedic Astrology

Post by abhishekh » Mon May 07, 2007 5:30 am

Vedic Jyotish is one of the most authentic ways to gain an insight into a person’s personality, history and future. Unlike other mystic sciences Vedic Jyotish is based on scientific principles and does not work on intuition alone. One of the most important tools in Vedic Jyotish is the Panchang or the Vedic Calendar.

The Panchang can be calculated mathematically, however if you set out to do it yourself you will have to go through a long learning curve, and then spend a lot of time calculating it each time you need to refer to it. Luckily Panchang can be bought from the market in form of a calendar, a reference book and is part of most good astrology software. That’s why you can easily access a Panchang whenever you want without lengthy calculation. The Panchang helps you quickly ascertain the positive and negative attributes of a day as per Vedic Jyotish principles.

Calculated as per Vedic Jyotish guidelines, the Panchang lists a variety of factors and their values. Each factor in a Panchang reflects a different facet of life and you can predict fairly accurately from these factors. Literally, the word Panchang means five parts, or five organs. However today the normal Panchang contains many more than five factors. According to traditional Vedic Jyotish the Panchang has the following elements.

Elements of Panchang: -
1.Vaar (Days of the week)
2.Nakshatra (Constellations/Group of stars)
3.Tithi (Lunar Date)
4.Karan (Half of the part of the Tithi)
5.Yoga (an auspicious moment)

Tithi (Lunar Date)
In Panchang, this is understood to be the one part of the sixteen stages of the Moon according to the Vedic Jyotish. Each Tithi lasts for approximately one day and signify the lunar cycle. The Tithis range from 1 to 15 (In 15 day cycles). The first Tithi of the first cycle of the Panchang starts at Amavasya (The last day of the dark half of a lunar month when the Moon is not visible) and the last Tithi is the Purnima (Full moon night). This cycle is called the Shukla Paksha (Brighter stage). The second cycle starts from Purnima and ends at Amavasya. This cycle is called Krishna Paksha (Darker phase) in Vedic Jyotish. The Tithi is a very important factor in the Panchang.

The different Tithis are named as follows.
1.Pratipada
2.Dwitya.
3.Tritya.
4.Chaturth.
5.Panchmi.
6.Shashti.
7.Saptami.
8.Ashtami.
9.Navami.
10.Dashami.
11.Ekadasi.
12.Dwadashi.
13.Trayodashi.
14.Chaturdashi.
15.Amavasya/Purnima

In the second cycle of Tithis in the Panchang (The Krishna-Paksha cycle) beginning from Pratipada till Chaturdashi, all the dates are equal; the only difference is that instead of ending on Purnima, the cycle ends on Amavasya in the Panchang.

Inauspicious Days
The following mentioned days are not considered good, in Vedic Jyotish as per the Panchang. There is a chance of difficulties, and not problems in completing the required work. Panchang classifies the inauspicious days as below.

Sun
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thur
Fri
Sat

Dagdha
12 th
11 th
5 th
3 rd
6 th
8 th
9 th

Visha
4 th
6 th
7 th
2 nd
8 th
9 th
7 th

Hutashan
12 th
6 th
7 th
8 th
9 th
10 th
11th

Here's how to decipher what days will be unlucky as per the Panchang. For example if the 12 th Tithi happens to be a Sunday, the results will be unlucky. Similarly if the 8 th Day is Wednesday (Hutashan Tithi) the results are bad according to Vedic Jyotish Panchang system.

Nakshatra (Stellar Constellation)
The Nakshatra is a group of stars (constellation) as per Vedic Jyotish. Similar to the units used or applied for calculating the distance is kilometers or miles the distances in space (Akash Mandal) are calculated in terms of Nakshatra in Panchang. The whole zodiac has been divided into twenty-seven parts and each part derives its name from a Nakshatra.

The twenty-seven Nakshatras are as follows: -
1.ASHWANI
2.BHARANI
3.KRITIKA
4.ROHINI
5.MARIGASHIRA
6.ARDRA
7.PUNARVASU
8.PUSHYA
9.ASLESHA
10.MAGHA
11.PURVA PHALGUNI
12. UTTAR PHALGUNI
13.HASTA
14.CHITRA
15.SWATI
16.VISHAKHA
17.ANURADHA
18.JYESHTHA
19.MOOLA
20.POORVASHADHA
21.UTTRASHADHA
22.SHRAVANI
23.DHANISHTHA
24.SHATABHISHA
25.PURVA BHADRAPADA
26.UTTARA BHADRAPADA
27. REVATI

Abhijeet Nakshatra
The Indian astrologers as per Panchang, think that the combination of the last fifteen Ghati (a unit of time as per Vedic Jyotish roughly equivalent to 24 minute) of ‘Uttrashadha Nakshara’ and four from the starting Ghati of the Shravani Nakshatra i.e 19 Ghati in all, constitute the ‘Abhijeet Nakshatra’ and this specific Nakshatra is considered to be auspicious to start a good according to the Vedic Jyotish.

Panchaka Nakshatra
The following group of five Nakshatras are considered to have five defects (Panchaka Dosha) from the Panchang point of view. They are Revati, Shatabhisha, Dhanishta, Uttrabhadrapada, Purvabhadrapada.

Moola Nakshatra
The Moola Nakshatras are considered inauspicious according to Panchang. If the child takes birth in the Mool, Magha, Ashwani, Jyestha, Ashalesha ,Revati Nakshatras the results are believed to be quite inauspicious. However most Panchang Calendars also suggest remedies for this situation. Some particular traditions are performed twenty-seven days after the birth when the similar Nakshatra comes again or returns according to Panchang. Out of these six Nakshatras, Jyestha and Moola are called ‘Gandant Moola’ and Ashlesha is called as ‘Sarpa Moola’.

Dagdha Nakshatra
To start any work, this Nakshatra is considered as inauspicious in Vedic Jyotish and it is generally not advised to start new work if your shows this Nakshatra for the day. The following Nakshatras are Dagdha when they occur on the dates given below: -
Sunday-Bharani
Monday-Chitra
Tuesday-Uttarashadha
Wednesday-Danishtha
Thursday-Uttraphalguni
Friday-Jyeshtha
Saturday-Revati.

Yoga (Planetary Combinations)
The total number of Yogas is twenty-seven according to the Panchang. They are as follows:

1.PREETI
2.SAUBHAGYA
3.VISHAKUMBHA
4.AAYUSHMAN
5.SHOBHANA.
6.ATIGANDA.
7.SUKARMA.
8.DHRITI
9.SHOOLA
10.GAND.
11.VRIDHI
12.DHRUVA.
13.VYAGHAATA.
15.VAJRA.
16.SIDDHI.
17.VYATIPAATA.
18.VARIYANA.
19.PARIGHA.
20.SHIVA
21.SIDDHA.
22.SADDHYA.
23.SHUBHA.
24.SHUKLA.
25.BRAHMA.
26.INDIRA.
27. VAIDHRITI.

Karana
Karana is half part of the Tithi (date) in Vedic Jyotish. There are two Karanas in one Tithi. The total number of Karanas is 11. They are: -
1.BALA.
2. BALAVA.
3.KAULAVA.
4.TAITIL.
5.GARA.
6.VANIJA.
7.VISHTI.
8.SHAKUNI.
9.CHATUSHAPDA.
10. NAAGA.
11.KIMSTUGHNA.

As per Panchang, Karanas first to seven are termed moveable (Chara) i.e. this can not be fixed in advance related to which dates, these are going to take place, but the last four Karanas are unchanging (Sthira), so can be determined beforehand according to the Vedic Jyotish.

Vishtikarana is differently called ‘ Bhadra’ and starting any work in this period is not allowed as per Panchang, Bhadra is underlined very plainly in every Panchang of the Vedic Jyotish.

Vaar (Weekdays)
The total number of days is seven in the Panchang too. The days are Sunday (Ravi-vaar), Monday (Som-vaar), Tuesday (Mangal-vaar), Wednesday (Budha-vaar), Thursday (Brishapati-Vaar), Friday (Shukra-vaar) and Saturday (Shani-vaar). The Panchang names each day on the basis of the planet that rules over it. The first day is Sun (Ravi) Vaar, and the last day is Saturn (Shani) Vaar.

One day in Vedic Jyotish, begins from Sunrise and ends at the Sunrise of the next day. ‘AHORATRA’, which is a combination of day-night. The day is divided into ‘Horas’ and like western Hours, the Horas are 24 in number.

Sun is the Lord of the first hora in the Panchang. When the creation started, the Sun was quite visible, it has been considered as the Lord of the first Hora and also the first starting day has

Gentle Days
Friday, Thursday, Wednesday, and Monday are considered as the ‘gentle’ days in Panchang. These are the signs of good beginning to do any work in Vedic Jyotish

Cruel Days
Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday are considered as bad day for operation according to Panchang. For education point of view, Thursday is considered good in Panchang. And for business point of view Wednesday is considered good and auspicious in Vedic Jyotish

Anand Soni-Pune

arian_1c

Post by arian_1c » Mon May 07, 2007 1:10 pm

That is a very good post...
back to basics...its strange how when we move further...we just tend to forget quite a few bits and pieces...
but thanks again for that, I might make it a sticky...because I think a lot of the people who come here need to read this before running on with their learning curves...

thanks again for that and oh did i mention, welcome to the forum...
sahil

abhishekh

Post by abhishekh » Mon May 07, 2007 10:06 pm

Dear Sahil ,it is the great feelings,with my first joining.many many thanks!!!

anxious2711

Post by anxious2711 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:09 pm

Thanks for the interesting post. I have understood how we look at the lords of each, for instance Vaaresh in a natal chart to judge things, but I have also come across some new things.

Do we apply all this for muhurat only or do we apply it to natal charts as well? For instance, take my case:

Now I am born on a Saturday ekadasi in Sukla paksh, which makes it a Hutashan Tithi, which is inauspicious.
I am born in Revati Nakshatra on a Saturday which makes it a Dagdha Nakshatra, which is inauspicious.
I am born in Vyatipata yoga, which is also inauspicious
And finally I am born on Vishti karana, which is also inauspicious.

Now my question is how will this affect the different aspects of my life?

Thanks,

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:53 am

Without attempting to spoon-feed you, a starting point will be for you to go in your mind and look over the last three decades and see if in your observed experientiel reality (as life unfolded) your "observed" met with the 'expected'!

Love, Light, Reality!

Rohiniranjan

anxious2711

Post by anxious2711 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:18 am

Dear Rohiniranjan ji,

When I look at my life so far, I have clearly felt the effect of Vyatipata yogs. I had a very difficult childhood but I only came out stronger from it. I did the yoga shanti at the age of 23, but at that time I did not know anything about astrology. So the yoga factor, yes I have felt its effect.

Coming to the karana factor,  I never actually gave much thought to it before.  After my studies as I failed to secure the job that I wanted,  I joined the family business and did pretty well. It's only now that I am questioning its effects. I have been planning to start a new business for the past two years but I am only facing delays and problems.  At first I thought it wad due to Shani in 10th which gives delays,  but I was told that after Saturn return and in Saturn bhukti things will improve.  At the beginning of the bhukti I saw some improvement but then it was back to the same. Now I am starting to feel that it is the bhadra karana factor. Karana affects career.

As to the other panchanga  factors, I am not sure of their effects nor am I convinced that they are applied to natal charts.  I believe that these factors are primarily looked at for muhurat.

Am I correct in this?  What is your opinion?

many thanks,

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:05 pm

anxious2711 wrote:Dear Rohiniranjan ji,

When I look at my life so far, I have clearly felt the effect of Vyatipata yogs. I had a very difficult childhood but I only came out stronger from it. I did the yoga shanti at the age of 23, but at that time I did not know anything about astrology. So the yoga factor, yes I have felt its effect.

Coming to the karana factor,  I never actually gave much thought to it before.  After my studies as I failed to secure the job that I wanted,  I joined the family business and did pretty well. It's only now that I am questioning its effects. I have been planning to start a new business for the past two years but I am only facing delays and problems.  At first I thought it wad due to Shani in 10th which gives delays,  but I was told that after Saturn return and in Saturn bhukti things will improve.  At the beginning of the bhukti I saw some improvement but then it was back to the same. Now I am starting to feel that it is the bhadra karana factor. Karana affects career.

As to the other panchanga  factors, I am not sure of their effects nor am I convinced that they are applied to natal charts.  I believe that these factors are primarily looked at for muhurat.

Am I correct in this?  What is your opinion?

many thanks,

I assume that you are a dedicated and serious and sincere explorer/investigator.

You should explore it further and not stop at the panchangas!

Some suggestions:

Personal: Examine the other chart indicators and see if the dasas etc were correlated and indicators of misery were their in the rest of your chart. Dig deeper and not stop just after the first gold nugget that you think you have found.

Demographical: Find out other charts with identical or similar panchanga-status. Examine their personal experiences and correlations with their chart indicators, dasa, transit etc. Just regular well-rounded, if not in-depth, phalit considerations.

Compare the ten or twenty examples, seriously and then you may see more depth in your quest. You may find people whose experiences vary from yours although same panchanga-status, but different indicators in their charts.

Your answers will lie embedded in such an explorations and instead of stopping at the first gold-nugget, you may discover more nuggets of understanding and perhaps even the gold-mine!

If successful, you can send me a cheque or even some of the gold-nuggets!

Love, Light, Blessings!

Rohiniranjan

anxious2711

Post by anxious2711 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Dear Rohinirajan ji,

Thanks for your suggestions, I have about 30 charts of people I know closely but none of them have Vishti karana or vyatipata. And the few celebrity charts that I have don't have those factors either. Do you know of anyone born in Vishti karana?

thanks,

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:56 pm

anxious2711 wrote:Dear Rohinirajan ji,

Thanks for your suggestions, I have about 30 charts of people I know closely but none of them have Vishti karana or vyatipata. And the few celebrity charts that I have don't have those factors either. Do you know of anyone born in Vishti karana?

thanks,
No cannot recall personally. But I am sure there might be many such in databases etc. Unfortunately, the available databases do not use karanas as a search tag and that would mean going through individual charts for you which is time consuming.

But don't let that discourage you, if you feel it is an important parameter for what you are exploring. Researches out of the ordinary (parameters) can get to be a time-consuming task with no guaranteed returns, hence many shun that path altogether and rely on hearsay and other urban myths that exist in Jyotish!

RR

Return to “Vedic Astrology”