Sapta Rishi Nadi...?

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

I_seek_the _truth

Sapta Rishi Nadi...?

Post by I_seek_the _truth » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:00 pm

What exactly is the sapta rishi nadi....

There is a book called that, written by Mr. J. N. Bhasin.

Its summary mentions that it is like a discussion among the Seven Great Rishis, which takes each Ascendant from Aries to Pisces and disusses example charts of each ascendant.

Is it an useful book for Natal Astrology...? Does anyone have any idea of what it is...?

Rohiniranjan

Re: Sapta Rishi Nadi...?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:50 am

[quote="I_seek_the _truth"]What exactly is the sapta rishi nadi....

There is a book called that, written by Mr. J. N. Bhasin.

Its summary mentions that it is like a discussion among the Seven Great Rishis, which takes each Ascendant from Aries to Pisces and disusses example charts of each ascendant.

Is it an useful book for Natal Astrology...? Does anyone have any idea of what it is...?[/quote]

To be very very candid, at the personal risk of offending some individuals of very traditional/religious/fundamentalistic beliefs (apropos jyotish! Not talking about religious fundamentalism let me clarify) -- my personal experience is that any classical text is not to be treated as perfect or all useful and so on. When reading any of the books, no matter how well organized or translated/explained etc., be prepared to sift the wheat from the chaff. Even BPHS that I often recommend does not have all the rules that seem to be carefully or fully tested and all the readings that are there or hints thereof cannot be literally applied.

Frustrating as it may sound and indeed turn out to be the experience, we all should go in with the expectation that if we are fortunate we would come out of the reading and studying of any given book with some gems. I would hazard a guess that often when people recommend this or that book, particularly by modern writers, they are more impressed by the lucidity, the simple explanatory or narrative style or the statements that sound logical. Very few have posted their recommendations after meticulously applying the rules and then coming back to report the truth or verity or applicability of the principles therein. It is a bit disturbing to a serious student that people come back with statements that are based on anecdotal evidence or patchy observations which they then seem to post as well-researched facts. This is not to say that they are dishonest in any way, but simply that they think of it as, "What is the big deal?". For them jyotish is not life and death but an interesting subject or pastime. There is nothing wrong with that attitude at all. Not everyone has to become too 8th housey about jyotish!

I was so frustrated at my mid-point so far in jyotish that I had stopped reading all of these books because I could see that the 'wheat' will not make me chapati for even one meal! Soon I came to the understanding that the prayer book of jyotish contains prayers extolling God (truth) but may not necessarily contain God (TRUTH). Through the prayers (astrological rules) one must realize God (astrological truth) but for that one more thing is needed: Praying!

The prayer since that early point in my self-education has been charts, charts and charts! Read what you can, as much as you can, when you can, but don't stop there and begin READING horoscopes. Soon all the prayers will snap into place and the Truth shall unfold.

But if one is just going to hold the prayer book and not look up from it and towards the reality that surrounds, sadly that would amount to yet another prayer lost!

Respectfully submitted!

Rohiniranjan

Return to “Vedic Astrology”