A free and excellent planetarium software.

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

vivekvshetty

A free and excellent planetarium software.

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:26 am

Namaskaar All,

There is a free planetarium software available for download.

Though it is not essential for prediction purpose, still it is a good software to have in a Jyotishi's arsenal.

RishiRahul and vivek.

bhogarmyguru

Post by bhogarmyguru » Tue May 22, 2012 10:00 pm

how can this be utilized for precise jyothish purposes...?

alieen

Post by alieen » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:46 am

In a vast and diverse country as India, there are many different calenders and time divisions followed. Many different varieties are found in the Panchaanga and festival celebrations.
Some follow the solar calender, some lunar and some the Soli-lunar.
emma

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:16 pm

alieen,

Please be aware that the above posting was made in October of 2009, and that the member vivekvshetty has not visited Mystic Board since July 2013, in order to be able to read your response.

You brought my attention to the included link to an external website which I have since removed, as it is not allowed under the site rules.

But thank you for contributing your knowledge to our forums.

All those different Indian calendars and time zones must make the task of a Vedic Astrologer incredibly complicated and difficult?

EoT  :smt017

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:45 pm

bhogarmyguru wrote:how can this be utilized for precise jyothish purposes...?
Dear Sri *Bhogarmyguru*,

If by "this" you meant the planetarium software, Vivek ji and Rishirahul have already mentioned, '...it is not essential for prediction...'.

Not sure if you are still participating (your posting being >2 yrs old), but others might find benefit from my 'perspective', hence I am sharing!

A thorough knowledge of astronomy is certainly not a mandatory requirement for casual jyotish, something that most hobbyists carry out or perhaps even a bit deeper involvment, however, having a mental picture of the solar system and the ecliptic belt, and relative movements of planets etc does help in several ways, some being:

It gives a sort of 3-D visualization-comprehension of our astrological sub-universe (solar system in the starry background known as ecliptic or zodiacal belt). This makes us understand better the phenomena of retrogression and *combustion* and more specifically what is known as 'occultation' (more astrologically relevant. Even predictively!).

It also gives insight into why certain charts are drawn with the zodiac going counterclockwise while others go clockwise.

Individually, none of these might make sense to many but a few minutes spent regularly do come in handy when looking at a chart and checking for errors in the timing or placements of the planets. Errors of input (data) get caught and believe me, everyone makes errors in simple inputs, particularly when doing a lot of charts within a short time.

There are also occasions when individuals who understand basic astronomy can more easily identify something given in fundamental texts which either points towards an error in those, at first, but on a second look sensitize us to looking at chalit or vargas and thereby expand our reach and understanding of the subject.

Had jyotish been simply about memorizing a set of fixed, concrete rules and in that sense more 'as is' (combination=result), then life would have been so much simpler for most of us astrologers.

Hopefully, the above helps.

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:
Dear Sri *Bhogarmyguru*,

If by "this" you meant the planetarium software, Vivek ji and Rishirahul have already mentioned, '...it is not essential for prediction...'.

Not sure if you are still participating (your posting being >2 yrs old), but others might find benefit from my 'perspective', hence I am sharing!

A thorough knowledge of astronomy is certainly not a mandatory requirement for casual jyotish, something that most hobbyists carry out or perhaps even a bit deeper involvment, however, having a mental picture of the solar system and the ecliptic belt, and relative movements of planets etc does help in several ways, some being:

It gives a sort of 3-D visualization-comprehension of our astrological sub-universe (solar system in the starry background known as ecliptic or zodiacal belt). This makes us understand better the phenomena of retrogression and *combustion* and more specifically what is known as 'occultation' (more astrologically relevant. Even predictively!).

It also gives insight into why certain charts are drawn with the zodiac going counterclockwise while others go clockwise.

Individually, none of these might make sense to many but a few minutes spent regularly do come in handy when looking at a chart and checking for errors in the timing or placements of the planets. Errors of input (data) get caught and believe me, everyone makes errors in simple inputs, particularly when doing a lot of charts within a short time.

There are also occasions when individuals who understand basic astronomy can more easily identify something given in fundamental texts which either points towards an error in those, at first, but on a second look sensitize us to looking at chalit or vargas and thereby expand our reach and understanding of the subject.

Had jyotish been simply about memorizing a set of fixed, concrete rules and in that sense more 'as is' (combination=result), then life would have been so much simpler for most of us astrologers.

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

I wonder if it can an idea of limits of the tropical or sidereal zodiac?

Rishi
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:30 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
Dear Sri *Bhogarmyguru*,

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Rishi
From what I have perceived, neither (western vs eastern) are limited per se. Kind of like perception vs reality thing we discuss from time to time!

Different lights, different angles; the same rock! ;-)

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:02 am

Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
Dear Sri *Bhogarmyguru*,

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Rishi
From what I have perceived, neither (western vs eastern) are limited per se. Kind of like perception vs reality thing we discuss from time to time!

Rohiniranjan

Yes, I know. But one modernist who is known to be popularising vedic has mentioned that if we look at the skies and follow the position of the planets in respect to the signs, we will find the the Nirayana zodiac holds.

Unfortunately I forget his name, and also the video/talk.
So i was wondering....?

Rishi
RishiRahul.com

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:34 am

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote: Dear Sri *Bhogarmyguru*,

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Rishi

Rohiniranjan

Yes, I know. But one modernist who is known to be popularising vedic has mentioned that if we look at the skies and follow the position of the planets in respect to the signs, we will find the the Nirayana zodiac holds.

So i was wondering....?

Rishi
{ADDENDUM: That the nirayana zodiac is a What You See is What You GET, has been known for as long as I recall so that is not some new revelation, Rishi.

An individual (I checked) named Ernst Wilhelm has been using and advocating the use of tropical zodiac with jyotish framework (rules etc). This is one of the links:-

https://ashevillevedicastrology.wordpre ... t-wilhelm/}

Since I have not carried out any such experimentations the two recourses one has, if curious about this tropical-jyotish would be: Ask that person who has, or test it out yourself in your test-bench of standard charts.

There is someone from India who has been claiming for some time that in ancient times they used only tropical (sayana) zodiac and that nirayana zodiac was introduced in more recent times.

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:19 am

Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote: Dear Sri *Bhogarmyguru*,

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Rishi

Rohiniranjan

So i was wondering....?

Rishi
{ADDENDUM: That the nirayana zodiac is a What You See is What You GET, has been known for as long as I recall so that is not some new revelation, Rishi.

An individual (I checked) named Ernst Wilhelm has been using and advocating the use of tropical zodiac with jyotish framework (rules etc). This is one of the links:-

https://ashevillevedicastrology.wordpre ... t-wilhelm/}

Since I have not carried out any such experimentations the two recourses one has, if curious about this tropical-jyotish would be: Ask that person who has, or test it out yourself in your test-bench of standard charts.

There is someone from India who has been claiming for some time that in ancient times they used only tropical (sayana) zodiac and that nirayana zodiac was introduced in more recent times.

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Dada,

The  posts of the planetarium software thread just reminded me of what I mentioned above of the person mentioning that the nirayan zodiac being more visually correct....

Again this is the age of marketing, where we see marketing ads everywhere saying that this is correct, better.... or that; and many would like to propound interesting logic for marketing.

We are in an interesting world......!

Rishi
RishiRahul.com

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:32 pm

RishiRahul wrote: ...

Dada,
 The  posts of the planetarium software thread just reminded me of what I mentioned above of the person mentioning that the nirayan zodiac being more visually correct....
 Again this is the age of marketing, where we see marketing ads everywhere saying that this is correct, better.... or that; and many would like to propound interesting logic for marketing.
 We are in an interesting world......!
Rishi
Yes, and that is seen in astrology quite a bit, Rishi. In a discipline like astrology which is based on axioms, since out evolution as an *intelligent* species, logic has been very essential for survival and maintenance of life and longevity. Hence we tend to rely on logic and science which have become dominant underpinning.

Astrology, I believe, is a tool that reduces the sense of the universe being all chaotic, as has logic been in a large part of our existence. So, the tendency is there to seek some logical linkages that try to make astrological machinery seem more logical and technical. Marketing has its role to play too, whether for pleasure or profit. When we notice something that gives good results, we feel driven to then try to find the sense and logical bases underlying the approach. There is also some degree of fraudulence that creeps into the dynamics and so it becomes a mish-mash that the modern astrology student faces. The adage of babies in a lot of bathwater. And when the bath-basin is emptied, it gets refilled as quickly: by more babies and even more bath-water!

As the train-journey continues, we sample things and goodies at each station from the kiosks there. Some goodies give pleasure and quench appetites, others cause indigestion. It is all part of experience gained in a path that can be like walking on a tight-wire over a chasm. But, if we do not walk on it, we do not get to the other end, and if we walk unprepared and less than mindfully, then we fall in the chasm. But Karmic theory/belief reminds us that THAT is not the end of the story! Hence, remaining mindful and yet detached serves us the best. There may be logic in the above, or marketing, but such is the reality and we as divinators are stuck with that, at least for the time being!

Love and Light!

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “Vedic Astrology”