Jhora Ver 7.5 to include Surya Siddhanta analytical model of planetary movement....to later versions

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Vinay Jha

Post by Vinay Jha » Thu May 31, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks Dada, I was on wheels for 3.5 years, hence I forgot many things I knew about these groups. I will send something before I leave for teertha.

-VJ
Install JHora and set  'Preferences' >'Related to Calculations' >'Set Calcualation Options as recommended by Vinay Jha' for using Suryasiddhanta. OR
Download Kundalee: http://vedicastrology.wikidot.com/software-download

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:36 am

Vinay Jha wrote:Thanks Dada, I was on wheels for 3.5 years, hence I forgot many things I knew about these groups. I will send something before I leave for teertha.

-VJ
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Vinay Jha

Post by Vinay Jha » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:47 am

Namaste Dada & Rishi ji and others,

I have extensive research material in two categories : medini jyotisha and hora (individual horoscopy), in English as well as in Hindi. But some important topics of Hora include screenshots in Hindi alone, because some features in Kundalee software have not been translated into English.

The most important question in astrology is : What triggers an event ? There are many charts : D1 and divisionals, annual or monthly or diurnal charts, kaarakaamsha, etc. How to ascertain which chart will bear fruit and when ? Is there some consistent rule ? Here is the list of some important topics in which research has been finalized to this end :

1).
Birth time rectification by means of D1 and then with higher divisionals, with the help of events. Timing of events is the main theme here.

2)
Dashaa tables : which year to use, and when to use specific dashaa tables of divisionals.

3)
Dashaa onset charts, mentioned many times in BPHS but never analyzed by any astrologer as far as I know. D1 chart and its Vimshottari gives rough idea of how the Dashaa-kaaraka planet will behave during its dashaa, while dashaa onset chart gives better details of same thing, while pada charts of dashaa onset charts give finer details.

4)
SBC (Sarvato-bhadra Chakra) helps in ascertaining the names of individuals or places associated with the events described in charts, both in medini and Hora.

5)
Ashtaka varga for comparing fortunes of rivals in continuous time series as graphs.

6)
Examples of use of Kaarakaamsha chart.

7)
How Lagna-Pada charts &c should be used in BPHS scheme.

etc etc

Jyotisha is a study of Time, ie of History as well as of Future. I am starting with History : astrological analysis of Alexander's Invasion of India as a new topic, a topic of medini jyotisha but using exactly those tools which are used in Hora. I am starting with the Desha-chakra (D1 bhaavachalita) for 326 BC Mesha Samkraanti (cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_Great  for year), the annual chart for that year.

In medini jyotisha, there are seven levels of charts : world, nation, province, district, town/village, field and home called Prithvi or Padma chakra, Desha chakra, Janapada chakra, Vishaya chakra, Nagara/Graama chakra, Kshetra chakra and Grihya chakra. I am omitting features peculiar to medini jyotisha and giving only those things which are used in Hora-shaastra and are well known to all vedic astrologers. Those well acquainted with BPHS (Brihat Parashara Hora Shaastra) will face no difficulty in interpreting these screenshots, and will be able to recreate the data with the help of JHora 7.6 (latest update).  

Some persons say SSS (Shri Surya Siddhanta) should never be tested at all, they should not read my topics and should not waste their precious time is useless debates. My works are only for those who want unbiased comparative ASTROLOGICAL evaluation of both mathematical models : Drik (physical astronomy) and SSS.

-Vinay Jha
Install JHora and set  'Preferences' >'Related to Calculations' >'Set Calcualation Options as recommended by Vinay Jha' for using Suryasiddhanta. OR

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:54 am

#3 dasha onset charts (and dasha onset planetary positions used as TRANSITs applied to the natal charts have certainly a lot of merit in them, I can definitely say.

You are right, Vinay, each time I have forgotten my own advice, namely, that Internet is not the place for serious jyotish discussions, MA reminded me to go back to square ONE! I dutifully returned to the roots of my learning (BPHS and then as directed by innersource, to other texts) and found something of interest. I am not saying this to brag or flaunt but just a statement or confession, if you will consider it so...
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Vinay Jha

Post by Vinay Jha » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:#3 dasha onset charts (and dasha onset planetary positions used as TRANSITs applied to the natal charts have certainly a lot of merit in them, I can definitely say.

You are right, Vinay, each time I have forgotten my own advice, namely, that Internet is not the place for serious jyotish discussions, MA reminded me to go back to square ONE! I dutifully returned to the roots of my learning (BPHS and then as directed by innersource, to other texts) and found something of interest. I am not saying this to brag or flaunt but just a statement or confession, if you will consider it so...
Kundalee software has buttons for getting dashaa onset charts with relation-table and aspects and friendships and Arudha-padas and SBC of  all MD, AD and PD onsets (I want to add SD too), in toto 9 * 9 * 9 =729 dashaa onset charts during 120 years, and it fills me with wonder at the flawless science of Sage Parashara when I find all these charts to describe events with greater precision than D1 and its Vimshottari alone.

After I return from Gangotri, I will rewrite Kundalee for current operating systems.

-VJ

Brahma Mihira

Post by Brahma Mihira » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:53 am

Rohiniranjan wrote:#3 dasha onset charts (and dasha onset planetary positions used as TRANSITs applied to the natal charts have certainly a lot of merit in them, I can definitely say.

Yes, I also experimented dasha onset charts were very important for determine events in related dasa period.
Neither mother, father nor any other relative can do one great splendor than one's own well-directed mind!

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:04 am

Jagannatha Hora 7.6 is available for a download. This includes the
fixed star based custom ayanamsa option and some other improvements! I
am enclosing a list of changes from 7.51 to 7.6 below.

Please spread the word. I hope the new features will be found useful by
the world Jyotish community. This is the most robust and most
feature-rich JHora ever.

You can download it from

http://www.VedicAstrologer.org/jh

http://tinyurl.com/jhorasw (tinyurl dot com slash jhorasw)

Note: Those who have 7.3 or later versions should kindly download only
the UPDATE, which is less than 1 MB in size. Please do not download the
short/full versions and download only the update, to save bandwidth. The
update file, though less than 1 MB, is enough to get all the new
features *completely*.

........................Message from Narasimha Rao

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:08 am

You can now download JHora 7.61 beta from

http://www.VedicAstrologer.org/jh/test/jh_update.zip

The 7.61 gamma, which is identical to 7.61 beta in functionality and
differs ONLY in the version number, is not available for a direct manual
download. It is there only to test the automatic update feature that was
added in 7.61 beta! It is present only at the "automatic update" site.

From 7.61 beta onwards, JHora will be able to update itself
automatically. Once you update to 7.61 beta and run it for the first
time, it should tell you that 7.61 gamma is available and automatically
download it and install it (you just need to hit a yes button). If you
run into any problems in auto update, please give me as many details as
you can. If update went fine, you will see the version as gamma instead
of beta.

Please see (2) below for details of auto update feature.

Compared to 7.61 alpha, the new features in 7.61 beta are a few sphutas
(see 6 and 7 below), ability to choose divisional chart in Kalachakra
dasa (see 3 below) and auto update feature (see 2 below).

.............message from Narasimha Rao.
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

Brahma Mihira

Post by Brahma Mihira » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:47 am

Thanks, yes it is important feature as free and popular software used by serious astrologers.
Neither mother, father nor any other relative can do one great splendor than one's own well-directed mind!

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

jhora 7.62 alpha

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:08 am

Please download JHora 7.62 alpha from

In future, you can use auto update feature to download test versions
(alpha and beta too). Check the menu "Preferences" and "Updates". By
default, auto update to stable versions is enabled, but auto update to
test versions (alpha, beta) is disabled. You have to explicitly enable
it. If you do so, 7.62 beta will automatically be downloaded when I
release it.

..........Narasimha Rao......

RishiRahul
RishiRahul.com

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Please download JHora 7.52 beta update from

Unzip it and run jh_update.exe that is created by unzipping.

If you enabled the auto update of "test releases also" when you updated
to JHora 7.52 alpha recently (see 5 below), this update should be
automatically picked up when you run JHora next!

Just to be clear, JHora enables auto update of *official* releases only
(e.g. 7.62, 7.62, 7.7 etc). If you want "test releases" also (e.g. 7.62
beta, 7.63 alpha etc) to be picked up automatically, you need to enable
it. See 5 below. This is done so that users who do not want to test test
versions are not affected.

Changes from 7.61 to 7.62 Beta: (change from JHora 7.62 Alpha to Beta is
only item 6 below)

(1) A crash in 7.61 on some computers on startup is fixed.
(2) The divisional chart selection in Kalachakra dasa works now.
(3) A couple of bugs in Sri SM Singh version of Kalachakra dasa were
fixed.
(4) Antardasas in apasavya cycles in Rao & Rath version and
Raghavacharya version of Kalachakra dasa are fixed.
(5) An option is added to enable automatic update of test versions also
(alpha and beta). By default, automatic update of only stable versions
is enabled and that of test versions is disabled. But users who want to
partcipate in the testing of test versions can enable the latter too.
(6) An "ayur dasa" option is added in Narayana dasa. When one is using
nodal exaltation as per Pt Rath's teaching and ayur Narayana dasa is
computed, Ta/Le are used as the exaltation signs of Rahu/Ketu (instead
of Ge/Sg used in regular Narayana dasa). This is as per Pt Rath's
teaching as indicated in a recent email.

.......message from P.V.R. Narasimha...........

RishiRahul

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:16 am

Please download Jagannatha Hora 7.62 at

All the bug-fixes and new features are listed below.

If you downloaded 7.61 and did not disable auto update, this should be
automatically picked up when you start JHora next time (with internet
turned on)
--------

Changes from 7.61 to 7.62:

(1) A crash in 7.61 on some computers on startup is fixed.
(2) The divisional chart selection in Kalachakra dasa works now.
(3) A couple of bugs in Sri SM Singh version of Kalachakra dasa were
fixed.
(4) Antardasas in apasavya cycles in Rao & Rath version and
Raghavacharya version of Kalachakra dasa are fixed.
(5) An option is added to enable automatic update of test versions also
(alpha and beta). By default, automatic update of only stable versions
is enabled and that of test versions is disabled. But users who want to
partcipate in the testing of test versions can enable the latter too.
(6) An "ayur dasa" option is added in Narayana dasa. When one is using
nodal exaltation as per Pt Rath's teaching and ayur Narayana dasa is
computed, Ta/Le are used as the exaltation signs of Rahu/Ketu (instead
of Ge/Sg used in regular Narayana dasa). This is as per Pt Rath's
teaching as indicated in a recent email.

..........message from PVR Narasimha Rao

RishiRahul
RishiRahul.com

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

jhora 7.63 alpha release

Post by RishiRahul » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:25 am

Namaste friends,

You can download Jagannatha Hora 7.63 Alpha release from

If you enable auto update of test versions also ("Preferences", "Updates", check all 3 boxes and click "OK"), it will automatically be updated. If you check only the first box and uncheck the second box, it will not auto update to alpha and beta versions (test versions), but wait for a formal 7.63 release to auto update.

The changes are listed below.

Best regards,
Narasimha
--------
Astrology & Spirituality Resources: http://www.VedicAstrologer.org
--------

Changes from 7.62 to 7.63 alpha:

(1) Several new calculation options in divisional charts D-2, D-3, D-7, D-10, D-16 and D-24 were added.

For example, 24th parts of signs in odd signs are mapped in D-24 to signs starting from Le and in even signs to signs starting from Cn. These are traditionally taken as Le->Cn cycle and Cn->Ge cycle. A careful reading of Parasara (as well as plain commonsense!) suggests that these should instead be Le->Cn and Cn->Le (in reverse!) cycles.

Similarly, in some other divisional charts, some reversal in even signs is missed by conventional commentaries of Parasara. Options were added to support such re-interpretations of Parasara.

For example, in D-10, Parasara asked to start from 9th house in the case of even signs. After mentioning deities, he referred to reversal in even signs. Though people apply it only to deities, one can apply it to sign mapping as well. Three new options are added with reverse counting for even signs: (1) Start from the 9th house and cover 10 signs in reverse (upto 12th house). (2) Start from 6th house and go in reverse to END with the 9th house. (3) Start from the 5th house (9th house in reverse), go in reverse (upto the 8th house).

Like this, several possible interpretations to reckon amsas in even signs in reverse order were added to D-2, D-3, D-4, D-7, D-10, D-16 and D-24.

(2) Surya Siddhanta mode planetary calculations were updated to reflect the latest algorithms from Sri Vinay Jha.

(3) Some Surya Siddhanta mode calculations were unnecessarily running even in drik siddhanta mode. Though they did not change any calculations, they were slowing down calculations considerably. This is fixed. Drik siddhanta mode will run faster now.

(4) As a side effect of running some Surya Siddhanta calculations always, it was hanging when opening pre-Kali yuga charts (pre-Kali yuga dates are not supported in Surya Siddhanta mode). Now pre-Kali yuga charts can be opened in drik siddhanta mode.

(5) An option is added for findings Rahu kalam and other kalams, by dividing day and night separately into 8 equal kalams. Previous approach was to divide day and night together into 16 equal kalams. Check "Preferences", "Related to Calculations", "Hora, Kaala & Weekday Start Options".

(6) Errors in Ashtakavarga ekadhipatya reduction and mandala sodhana in SAV were fixed.

(7) Rohini-paksha ayanamsa was added. It fixes Aldebaran star in the middle of Rohini nakshatra (16Ta40) always.

__._,_.___

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

version 7.63 beta

Post by RishiRahul » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:14 am

Message about jhora update...................................................................

Namaste friends,

I added one additional option in D-24 and D-60 and options in D-12, D-20 and D-27. I also cleaned up the clutter in chart popup menu (thanks Rishi).

You can download Jagannatha Hora 7.63 Beta release from

If you enable auto update of test versions also ("Preferences", "Updates", check all 3 boxes and click "OK"), it will automatically be updated. If you check only the first box and uncheck the second box, it will not auto update to alpha and beta versions (test versions), but wait for a formal 7.63 release to auto update.

The changes are listed below.

Best regards,

Narasimha
--------
--------

Changes from 7.62 to 7.63 Beta:

(1) Several new calculation options in divisional charts D-2, D-3, D-7, D-10, D-12, D-16, D-20, D-24, D-27 and D-60 were added.

For example, 24th parts of signs in odd signs are mapped in D-24 to signs starting from Le and in even signs to signs starting from Cn. These are traditionally taken as Le->Cn cycle and Cn->Ge cycle. A careful reading of Parasara (as well as plain commonsense!) suggests that these should instead be Le->Cn and Cn->Le (in reverse!) cycles.

Similarly, in some other divisional charts, some reversal in even signs is missed by conventional commentaries of Parasara. Options were added to support such re-interpretations of Parasara.

For example, in D-10, Parasara asked to start from 9th house in the case of even signs. After mentioning deities, he referred to reversal in even signs. Though people apply it only to deities, one can apply it to sign mapping as well. Three new options are added with reverse counting for even signs: (1) Start from the 9th house and cover 10 signs in reverse (upto 12th house). (2) Start from 6th house and go in reverse to END with the 9th house. (3) Start from the 5th house (9th house in reverse), go in reverse (upto the 8th house).

Like this, several possible interpretations to reckon amsas in even signs in reverse order were added to D-2, D-3, D-7, D-10, D-16, D-24 and D-60.

(2) Surya Siddhanta mode planetary calculations were updated to reflect the latest algorithms from Sri Vinay Jha.

(3) Some Surya Siddhanta mode calculations were unnecessarily running even in drik siddhanta mode. Though they did not change any calculations, they were slowing down calculations considerably. This is fixed. Drik siddhanta mode will run faster now.

(4) As a side effect of running some Surya Siddhanta calculations always, it was hanging when opening pre-Kali yuga charts (pre-Kali yuga dates are not supported in Surya Siddhanta mode). Now pre-Kali yuga charts can be opened in drik siddhanta mode.

(5) An option is added for findings Rahu kalam and other kalams, by dividing day and night separately into 8 equal kalams. Previous approach was to divide day and night together into 16 equal kalams. Check "Preferences", "Related to Calculations", "Hora, Kaala & Weekday Start Options".

(6) Errors in Ashtakavarga ekadhipatya reduction and mandala sodhana in SAV were fixed.

(7) Rohini-paksha ayanamsa was added. It fixes Aldebaran star in the middle of Rohini nakshatra (16Ta40) always.

__._,_.___
RishiRahul.com

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:21 am

Namaste friends,

Happy Vijaya Dasami!

Please download Jagannatha Hora 7.63 at

All the bug-fixes and new features are listed below.

If you downloaded 7.61 or later and did not disable auto update, this should be automatically picked up when you start JHora next time (with internet turned on).

Best regards,
Narasimha
--------
--------

Changes from 7.62 to 7.63:

(1) Several new calculation options in divisional charts were added. This includes one new definition of D-2, D-3, D-12, D-16, D-20 and D-27, 2 new definitions of D-7 and D-24 and 3 new definitions of D-10 and D-60. The alternative definitions are mostly related to reversal of divisions in an even sign.

(2) Errors in Ashtakavarga ekadhipatya reduction and mandala sodhana in SAV were fixed.

(3) An option is added to reckon divisional longitudes of planets (used in divisional dasas) from the end of a sign and go backwards, when reckoning the signs corresponding to divisions of even signs anti-zodiacally. See the last checkbox in the dialog box obtained by selecting "Prefrences", "Related to Calculations" and "Divisional Chart Calculation Options" in main menu at the top.

(4) Surya Siddhanta mode planetary calculations were updated to reflect the latest algorithms from Sri Vinay Jha.

(5) Some Surya Siddhanta mode calculations were unnecessarily running even in drik siddhanta mode. Though they did not change any calculations, they were slowing down calculations considerably. This is fixed. Drik siddhanta mode will run faster now.

(6) As a side effect of running some Surya Siddhanta calculations always, it was hanging when opening pre-Kali yuga charts (pre-Kali yuga dates are not supported in Surya Siddhanta mode). Now pre-Kali yuga charts can be opened in drik siddhanta mode.

(7) An option is added for finding Rahu kaala and other kaalas, by dividing day and night separately into 8 equal kaalas. Previous approach was to divide day and night together into 16 equal kaalas. Check "Preferences", "Related to Calculations", "Hora, Kaala & Weekday Start Options".

(8) Rohini-paksha ayanamsa was added. It fixes Aldebaran star in the middle of Rohini nakshatra (16Ta40) always.
RishiRahul.com

Return to “Vedic Astrology”