nakshatra calculation

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

priyankaatomar

nakshatra calculation

Post by priyankaatomar » Thu May 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am a newbee in astrology. I am facing some problem while trying to calculate nakshtra. MAthematical calculation ie  nak= log of moon divided by 800 is clear to me .
I want to know is their any shortcut to calculate it orally? I have seen some ppl reply within a sec when asked abut nakshatra in so n so rashi n son so degree. eg Tau12deg.
My knowledge is right upto here only:

nakshatra=27 further divided into 13deg20min n each charan occupy 3deg20min.

supopse someone says that find nak of following:
moon is 12deg14 in mesha
moon is 12deg 14min in libra
thn how to procedd?

pls help

Rohiniranjan

Re: nakshatra calculation

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri May 25, 2012 12:16 am

priyankaatomar wrote:Hi Everyone,
I am a newbee in astrology. I am facing some problem while trying to calculate nakshtra. MAthematical calculation ie  nak= log of moon divided by 800 is clear to me .
I want to know is their any shortcut to calculate it orally? I have seen some ppl reply within a sec when asked abut nakshatra in so n so rashi n son so degree. eg Tau12deg.
My knowledge is right upto here only:

nakshatra=27 further divided into 13deg20min n each charan occupy 3deg20min.

supopse someone says that find nak of following:
moon is 12deg14 in mesha
moon is 12deg 14min in libra
thn how to procedd?

pls help

That should become easy with a bit of practice, Priyankaa
This is what I do.

All fire signs (1,5,9) starts with ketu's star. 13d20m - 26-40 is venus and last 3d20m belong to sun

All earth signs (2,6,10) begin with sun's naksatra so 10d belong to sun -- then until 23d20 is moon and last 6d40 are mars

All Air signs (3, 7, 11) begin with mars nakshatra upto 6d 40m -- then until 20d belong to rahu and last 10d  to jupiter

All Water signs (4, 8, 12) begin with Jupiter upto 3d 20m, next upto 16d 40 m are saturn and last 13d20 m belong to mercury.

There must be other ways that people accomplish that, but for me remembering the above with practice grew so familiar that I do not need to strain to figure that out and without using pencil or paper or reference books.

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Fri May 25, 2012 7:23 am

Let me try.

1. Convert the sign  longitude into sign independent value (20Le30' will be 140 deg 30')
2. Find out modulus(longitude, 13deg20')
3 Add 1to this and find out the Nakshatra from the list of 27

I hope I understood your question
Last edited by mysbcrs on Sat May 26, 2012 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PinkyRani

Post by PinkyRani » Fri May 25, 2012 3:04 pm

I also have an issue with my nakshatra.

Some astrologers have said that my rashi nak was in Anuradha, while others have said it was in Vishaka 4th Pada.
I realize that my time of birth may make it hard to pin point one nakshatra, but I still need to know my actual nakshatra.

Moon is 3deg 25min in Scorpio, according to J Hora software.

Date:          January 17, 1993
Time:          7:20:44 pm
Time Zone:     6:00:00 (East of GMT)
Place:         89 E 00' 00", 23 N 09' 00"

Thanks for any help.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri May 25, 2012 8:31 pm

PinkyRani wrote:I also have an issue with my nakshatra.

Some astrologers have said that my rashi nak was in Anuradha, while others have said it was in Vishaka 4th Pada.
I realize that my time of birth may make it hard to pin point one nakshatra, but I still need to know my actual nakshatra.

Thanks for any help.
It definitely is not the software (practically, any!) and most likely to be due to the ayanamsha used. The birthtime if the identical one was provided to the astrologer would not be the culprit either.

However, your 7:20:44 (up to seconds!) does raise another issue, of your birthtime of having been 'doctored', though some would call it 'rectification'!

But that is another matter, altogether!! However, the ayanamsha preferred by the jyotishi doctoring your birthtime could play a major role too in how well the 'surgery' went!

Regards,

PinkyRani

Post by PinkyRani » Sat May 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:

Thanks for any help.
It definitely is not the software (practically, any!) and most likely to be due to the ayanamsha used. The birthtime if the identical one was provided to the astrologer would not be the culprit either.

However, your 7:20:44 (up to seconds!) does raise another issue, of your birthtime of having been 'doctored', though some would call it 'rectification'!

But that is another matter, altogether!! However, the ayanamsha preferred by the jyotishi doctoring your birthtime could play a major role too in how well the 'surgery' went!

Regards,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, my birth time in seconds seems highly peculiar to me.
But if two astrologers (I do not know how certified they both are) arrived at two different naks, is it possible for me to pick the chart that reflects me the most?
In order to know what my actual nakshatara is.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun May 27, 2012 12:50 am

PinkyRani wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, my birth time in seconds seems highly peculiar to me.
But if two astrologers (I do not know how certified they both are) arrived at two different naks, is it possible for me to pick the chart that reflects me the most?
In order to know what my actual nakshatara is.
So what is the source of your birth time?

Return to “Vedic Astrology”