Planetary position calculations

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

kaarigar

Planetary position calculations

Post by kaarigar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 pm

I need mathematical formulas and other relevant information to calculate planetary positions (including Rahu and Ketu) and also ascendant. I wish to do this without the use of ephimeries. I also need formulas for calculating vimshottari and ashtottari dashas. Can someone point me to right direction or source of information on this? Thank you!

Rohiniranjan

Re: Planetary position calculations

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:11 am

kaarigar wrote:I need mathematical formulas and other relevant information to calculate planetary positions (including Rahu and Ketu) and also ascendant. I wish to do this without the use of ephimeries. I also need formulas for calculating vimshottari and ashtottari dashas. Can someone point me to right direction or source of information on this? Thank you!
Back in early nineties, late eighties, I relied on Michael Erlewine's manual! It had BASIC algorithms for western tropical astrology aimed at Apple-basic!

I was using a Sinclair-Timex computer and there was no INTERNET or instant help, like folks have gotten spoilt to claiming these days, as if it were a birthright or entitlement!

Love, Light, Gratitude!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

kaarigar

Post by kaarigar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:37 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:Back in early nineties, late eighties, I relied on Michael Erlewine's manual! It had BASIC algorithms for western tropical astrology aimed at Apple-basic!!
Thanks. Sounds interesting - though it is not for Vedic charts, it should give some idea about the principles and with corrections (ayanamsha) it could probably help with basic Vedic chart making.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:54 pm

kaarigar wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:Back in early nineties, late eighties, I relied on Michael Erlewine's manual! It had BASIC algorithms for western tropical astrology aimed at Apple-basic!!
Thanks. Sounds interesting - though it is not for Vedic charts, it should give some idea about the principles and with corrections (ayanamsha) it could probably help with basic Vedic chart making.
Yep -- I used the routines on my very first computer in 1980-81, a Sinclair Z-80 (the first and for a long long time the only under 100 dollar computer!) and it served me well because instead of poring over for a couple of hours or longer on manual calculations for each chart, my charts were ready with the computer in less than 2 minutes. I even managed to port that to Commodore Basic and then my first PC. Then MS-DOS was replaced with Windows and commercial, more full fledged programs arrived and there was no need for me to tinker with code and focus more fully on what has always been more fun: Jyotish!

Love and Light are Alright!!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “Vedic Astrology”