Rahu & Ketu...and about them

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

stalin.v

Post by stalin.v » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Hello rahul,

Please dont use rishi as prefix in your name unless you leave your family and wealth and do penance.

Ketu and rahu story is familiar among hindus. You have to read koormavathar of vishnu in which , it is said to be that vishnu incarnate as tortoise to get the nectar from ocean. Vasuhi snake, and mountain was used by deva and asura. Initially allala poison comes from their effort which can desroy the world. so , To save the world, shiva drink the poison. Hence his neck turn into blue color. After obtaining nectar, ketu and rahu (asuras) drink the nectar along with devas. Sun and moon gods informed it to vishnu. hence rahu and ketu are capitivitated by vishnu. since they consumed nectar, they did not die. so the head of the snake is attached to rahu's body and snake's body is attached with ketu's head. So, ketu is not headless. This is the reason why sun and moon are inimical to nodes.
Rahu is black snake.
ketu is red snake.

P.s: Please surf net before asking question. If you did not get answer ask question in the forum

P.p.s
I highighted the story in points. But there is so much events i did not mention in koormavathar.

Regards

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:23 pm

stalin.v wrote:Hello rahul,

Please dont use rishi as prefix in your name unless you leave your family and wealth and do penance.
RishiRahul= Thank you for the advice.
What you wish to call me, I take with gratitude. What I use my name as is my choice, specially in 'forums'.
Also there are many RishiRahuls' you will see on the net who are with family.
Well meant advices are welcome. Thanks

Ketu and rahu story is familiar among hindus. You have to read koormavathar of vishnu in which , it is said to be that vishnu incarnate as tortoise to get the nectar from ocean. Vasuhi snake, and mountain was used by deva and asura. Initially allala poison comes from their effort which can desroy the world. so , To save the world, shiva drink the poison. Hence his neck turn into blue color. After obtaining nectar, ketu and rahu (asuras) drink the nectar along with devas. Sun and moon gods informed it to vishnu. hence rahu and ketu are capitivitated by vishnu. since they consumed nectar, they did not die. so the head of the snake is attached to rahu's body and snake's body is attached with ketu's head. So, ketu is not headless. This is the reason why sun and moon are inimical to nodes.
Rahu is black snake.
ketu is red snake.
P.s: Please surf net before asking question. If you did not get answer ask question in the forum
RishiRahul= Please dont get angry/offended.
As far as I know, Rahu is the head without a body; ketu is the body without a head
http://www.sanatansociety.org/vedic_ast ... s_ketu.htm
http://www.hinduexpressions.com/2008/09 ... -ketu.html
This & other links mention Ketu as headless; So I am still confused, so I thought you can enlighten.

P.p.s
I highighted the story in points. But there is so much events i did not mention in koormavathar.
RishiRahul= Please mention your knowledge. The more correct place would be the vedic astrology forum.

Regards

RishiRahul

stalin.v

Post by stalin.v » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:51 am

Find and tell me what you got:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/vp/

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:08 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
stalin.v wrote:Hello rahul,

RishiRahul= Thank you for the advice.
What you wish to call me, I take with gratitude. What I use my name as is my choice, specially in 'forums'.
Also there are many RishiRahuls' you will see on the net who are with family.
Well meant advices are welcome. Thanks

Rahu is black snake.
ketu is red snake.
RishiRahul= Please dont get angry/offended.
As far as I know, Rahu is the head without a body; ketu is the body without a head
http://www.sanatansociety.org/vedic_ast ... s_ketu.htm
http://www.hinduexpressions.com/2008/09 ... -ketu.html
This & other links mention Ketu as headless; So I am still confused, so I thought you can enlighten.

P.p.s
RishiRahul= Please mention your knowledge. The more correct place would be the vedic astrology forum.

Regards
stalin.v wrote:Find and tell me what you got:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/vp/
Hi,

There are so many things in this link.
Which one did you mean?It would be nice if you are specific

We were talking of Ketu not having a head; which you did not agree.

Thanks,

RishiRahul

stalin.v

Post by stalin.v » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:19 pm

There are so many things we have to learn. That is why we have so many things there. Try to verify things before you beleive what you read is true.
Attachments
nava.jpg
Illustration of hindu planetary gods. Ketu with human head and snake body. Rahu with snake head and human body
nava.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 3721 times

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:05 am

stalin.v wrote:There are so many things we have to learn. That is why we have so many things there. Try to verify things before you beleive what you read is true.
Hi,

Looks like there exist another view of Ketu!
A snake with a human head.

Reminds me of many views of one god/goddess.

Lets keep the one that fits us....smile

RishiRahul

stalin.v

Post by stalin.v » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:56 am

hello rishirahul,

Youre absoltely wrong. It is not another view. Peoples generally say that nodes are headless while refering astrology in particular. It happens because they cannot master all subject of hinduism. But it is sin to mislead peoples via "escapism".

Regards,
   stalin.v

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:12 pm

stalin.v wrote:hello rishirahul,

Youre absoltely wrong. It is not another view. Peoples generally say that nodes are headless while refering astrology in particular. It happens because they cannot master all subject of hinduism. But it is sin to mislead peoples via "escapism".

Regards,
   stalin.v
Oh ok,

Maybe I do not know everything, then; after all no one knows everything.
And Hinduism & astrology are Large subjects to master, specially in Kaliyuga.

But whoever said that nodes are headless is wrong.. Everyone knows that.

If I have created a sin via escapism, I apologise.

As far as I know, 'Swarbhanu' was severed during Samudra Manthhan.
(Q) Which part of it was Rahu & which part was Ketu?

After you confirm this I/We can get enlightened about what happens after that.

RishiRahul

stalin.v

Post by stalin.v » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:01 am

Hello rishirahul,

After the series of our discussion, i searched for information regarding rahu and ketu in net and found some facts.
They are :

1. Rahu and ketu, and their physiques where wrongly labelled and misinformed in some websites. The picture i posted regarding rahu and ketu is wrongly labelled. Hence i have wrong idea regarding the physique of them for years

2 so, It is true that rahu has human head and snake body and ketu has snake head and human body. so, you're right in this discussion. So, i am wrong in this discussion.

3. Initially i thought that it is unnecessary discussion. so, i was bit harsh. my apologies for the same

4. Thanks

5.Regards.

stalin.v

Post by stalin.v » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:17 am

Attachments
navagrahas-nine-planets-in-hindu-astrology.jpg
Navagraha
navagrahas-nine-planets-in-hindu-astrology.jpg (57.83 KiB) Viewed 2899 times

stalin.v

Rahu - illustration

Post by stalin.v » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:24 pm

So the answer must be one and unique in hindu philosophy and it's idea/concept.
If there is two or more varying ideas in any ideas of hinduism, there must be strong reason behind. We have to search for it.

Thanks for this discussion and correction

<3
Attachments
ad7686d1.JPG
Rahu is claded in light blue colour cloth who is illustrated in the picture with human head and snake body
Mars is claded in red cloth.
Venus and moon are claded in white clothes
ad7686d1.JPG (113.8 KiB) Viewed 2928 times

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:44 pm

stalin.v wrote:Hello rishirahul,

After the series of our discussion, i searched for information regarding rahu and ketu in net and found some facts.
They are :

1. Rahu and ketu, and their physiques where wrongly labelled and misinformed in some websites. The picture i posted regarding rahu and ketu is wrongly labelled. Hence i have wrong idea regarding the physique of them for years

2 so, It is true that rahu has human head and snake body and ketu has snake head and human body. so, you're right in this discussion. So, i am wrong in this discussion.

3. Initially i thought that it is unnecessary discussion. so, i was bit harsh. my apologies for the same

4. Thanks

5.Regards.

Hi stalin,

No worries, Learning goes on, as you have always mentioned in this thread; though not in the same words.
Some paths while Learning can be 'harsh'. You felt that you were harsh to me; but I dont think you are at all Harsh to "Learning".

While Learning we make so many mistakes!
You did not make 'Real' mistakes at all.

Every God, like man, animals, reptiles, insects can think.... For which all of them have a 'head'.
This is just another way of depicting them.
So these websites are not entirely wrong.

These Hindu mythology has very deep meanings, & we are still Learning this Higher Philosophy.
The more you age & Experience  them, the clearer it becomes; and you are only 27. You will very advanced, if you keep up.

After Swarbhanu's head was severed to form the bodiless Rahu & headless Ketu:=
Ketu was given a boon- a head.

Search, & learn about this.

I admire your desire to Learn.seek!!

RishiRahul

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:35 am

RishiRahul wrote:
stalin.v wrote:Hello rishirahul,

They are :

4. Thanks

5.Regards.

Hi stalin,

No worries, Learning goes on, as you have always mentioned in this thread; though not in the same words.
Some paths while Learning can be 'harsh'. You felt that you were harsh to me; but I dont think you are at all Harsh to "Learning".

While Learning we make so many mistakes!
You did not make 'Real' mistakes at all.

Every God, like man, animals, reptiles, insects can think.... For which all of them have a 'head'.
This is just another way of depicting them.
So these websites are not entirely wrong.

These Hindu mythology has very deep meanings, & we are still Learning this Higher Philosophy.
The more you age & Experience  them, the clearer it becomes; and you are only 27. You will very advanced, if you keep up.

After Swarbhanu's head was severed to form the bodiless Rahu & headless Ketu:=
Ketu was given a boon- a head.

Search, & learn about this.

I admire your desire to Learn.seek!!

RishiRahul

Hmmm...!

And Rahu a tail, even if he never wanted one! ;-)

Love and Light and Jyotish!

Rohiniranjan

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:03 am

http://www.rahu.in/story.html

The story in the given link explains this.
But it would be practical to think of Rahu as the head, & Ketu as the body for astrological purposes.

Repoducing this part of the story:=The head fell on the other side of Surya. So assume the placement like Chandra, Ketu, Surya and Rahu four of them in a row. So from then onwards Surya had stopped his movement, so that Rahu and Ketu cant join together. All the other planets there after started revolving around Surya. Rahu, Surya and Ketu came into 180 degree placement. Since then Rahu in intention to meet Ketu, is said to have cursed a gurdge against the surya and chandra, and swallows them up which follows an Lunar and Solar Eclipse. When Swarbhanu's head was cut blood dropped on the earth and from that a plant of Garlic & Onion emerged.. Then the Head (Rahu) was taken away by his mother Simhika and nursed for years. The body of the snake was then formed from the neckline of Rahu for transit. The head of snake was formed on Ketu for vision. Rahu worshipped lord Shiva, and Ganpati has the similiar story of his head chopped off and afterwards getting a head of an elephant. Lord shiva blessed Rahu with the body of snake and Ketu with snake head. So by worshipping Ganpati, we can also be blessed by Rahu.

RishiRahul

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:40 pm

RishiRahul wrote:http://www.rahu.in/story.html

The story in the given link explains this.
But it would be practical to think of Rahu as the head, & Ketu as the body for astrological purposes.

Repoducing this part of the story:=The head fell on the other side of Surya. So assume the placement like Chandra, Ketu, Surya and Rahu four of them in a row. So from then onwards Surya had stopped his movement, so that Rahu and Ketu cant join together. All the other planets there after started revolving around Surya. Rahu, Surya and Ketu came into 180 degree placement. Since then Rahu in intention to meet Ketu, is said to have cursed a gurdge against the surya and chandra, and swallows them up which follows an Lunar and Solar Eclipse. When Swarbhanu's head was cut blood dropped on the earth and from that a plant of Garlic & Onion emerged.. Then the Head (Rahu) was taken away by his mother Simhika and nursed for years. The body of the snake was then formed from the neckline of Rahu for transit. The head of snake was formed on Ketu for vision. Rahu worshipped lord Shiva, and Ganpati has the similiar story of his head chopped off and afterwards getting a head of an elephant. Lord shiva blessed Rahu with the body of snake and Ketu with snake head. So by worshipping Ganpati, we can also be blessed by Rahu.

RishiRahul

Ahemm...
Rahu and ketu do join! But in doing so, interestingly, they get neutralized ;-)

Love and Light!

Rohiniranjan

Return to “Vedic Astrology”