Lagna Nakshatra

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

morning.mirage

Lagna Nakshatra

Post by morning.mirage » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:58 pm

The MD's in Vedic Astrology are generated using the Mo nakshatras, but why are the  dasha predictions given using the planetary positions from Lag?
Why isn't the Lag nakshatra  used instead?

Rohiniranjan

Re: Lagna Nakshatra

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:11 pm

morning.mirage wrote:The MD's in Vedic Astrology are generated using the Mo nakshatras, but why are the  dasha predictions given using the planetary positions from Lag?
Why isn't the Lag nakshatra  used instead?
I think most software give the option to use lagna nakshatra, or any other applicable nakshatra (occupied). And not just for vimshottari but pretty much most dasas.

Have fun experiementing and please report back which one worked best :-)

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

morning.mirage

Post by morning.mirage » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:38 am

I use JHORA...and have checked this before.
When it comes to transits, the position of the transiting planet from my Lag makes more sense...but the MD's make more sense when I use Mo nakshatra.
That's not where I'm confused, though.
Why are the MD (default Mo nak option) results judged/checked mostly according to the positions of the planets from Lag instead of the positions from Mo? Shouldn't the latter condition have stronger effects?
Say, the MD planet's 7th from Lag and 8th from Mo...why do most astrologers concentrate on the 7th position when the placement from the ref point (Mo's nak) is 8th?

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:57 pm

morning.mirage wrote:I use JHORA...and have checked this before.
When it comes to transits, the position of the transiting planet from my Lag makes more sense...but the MD's make more sense when I use Mo nakshatra.
That's not where I'm confused, though.
Why are the MD (default Mo nak option) results judged/checked mostly according to the positions of the planets from Lag instead of the positions from Mo? Shouldn't the latter condition have stronger effects?
Say, the MD planet's 7th from Lag and 8th from Mo...why do most astrologers concentrate on the 7th position when the placement from the ref point (Mo's nak) is 8th?
Dasa and transits are like the hour and minute hands of the clock. Watch just one, and in one case one will be correct in telling the time within an hour, but watch the minute hand alone (or a clock with only minute hand), you will always be correct to within a minute but clueless as to what time of the day it really is!

Hence both are needed and that is what I gathered from Jyotish scriptures. If we begin picking on one and then even if get creative and imaginative, we could either hit the jackpot, or just keep going round and round in circles.

Have you tried in a large number of charts (just testing entire astrology or its foundation on your chart or even of your family might not be a good TEST-BENCH!) if dasa (chandra) and transit (chandra) work? Then next step would be dasa (chandra) and transit (chandra and lagna), before straying too far in the wilderness. Just a suggestion, final decision lays in your hands, of course! :-)

(point of clarification above: The bracketted terms indicate the calculation points, not the bhava references, for dasas).

There are a few other relevant observations re the above, but I have to go for some business this morning, so may write later, some more, if MA wishes me to.

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

morning.mirage

Post by morning.mirage » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:33 am

You're right, I don't have too many charts to analyse....only that of friends and family....and I really don't think I can rely on charts/data of public personalities given on the Internet.

Another thing would be the fact that the whole concept of "sade sati" revolves around the transit of Sat from the position of Mo.
Would you say the transits from Mo affect people more on a mental/ an emotional level and the ones from Lag affect  on a more physical level?

gopinathpc

Post by gopinathpc » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:48 am

If you don't mind, can you please analyse my chart

4th June 1961
12:05 PM
Chittoor,Andhra Pradesh

Thanks in advance!

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:34 pm

morning.mirage wrote:You're right, I don't have too many charts to analyse....only that of friends and family....and I really don't think I can rely on charts/data of public personalities given on the Internet.

Another thing would be the fact that the whole concept of "sade sati" revolves around the transit of Sat from the position of Mo.
Would you say the transits from Mo affect people more on a mental/ an emotional level and the ones from Lag affect  on a more physical level?
Dear MM,

Please don't feel discouraged. We all started out with a few chart. I personally avoided (consciously) when I started jyotish, my chart or of my close relatives. I could sense that astrology does have some 'flexibility' and since so many factors and ways of looking at a chart are possible, it is so easy to fool oneself, inadvertantly-subconsciously, and it makes everything *fit* so well (Astro-FIT-ology, I call that phenomenon!) :-)

Now, as to data, yes there are no guarantees, particularly celebrity data because some of those are deliberately adulterated! But Lois M. Rodden in the 60s-70s started a new reform, in a sort of way! She created a scoring system for quality of birthdata information and Rodden's database was born. Then it was supported by a western astrological organization named ISAR (ISAR-IDEA project) and stayed on paper and in circulation for many years. Then Mark Donough joined forces and created an MS-Access database in the form of Astrodatabase. After version 4.0 a few years ago, they had to take a business decision and all rights were sold to Astrodienst. Although Astrodatabase software was decimated (no more available!), Astrodienst has made all that data (34000 records) publicly available and to their credit (and most of it goes to a dedicated person who moved to Astrodienst after Mark's company folded up), current possessors of ADB software find to their gleeful gratitude that the database still continues to be updated (corrections, many new entries etc). It is a wonderful boon of a DB for real-life astrologers and researchers. Very helpful in examining the true value of many anedcotal urban myths that have always surrounded astrology, in general, as long as I have been studying it).

So head out for Astrodienst and look for AA and depending on conditions applied, A grade charts. They also have short bios and salient events etc and there are many regular charts too, in addition to celebrities.

Parashara's Light comes with many charts too, though some of those I have found to be questionable when compared with other variations noted. But still a lot of good information exists. There also used to be a few other nativity databases mostly from Europe. I am not sure what the availability status is for those.

RR
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “Vedic Astrology”