Astrodienst software for data studies

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Astrodienst software for data studies

Post by RishiRahul » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:In hindsight now that we know, I am personally very relieved to hear that, the discussion and sharing did not cause you discomfort, dear Rishi!

You are braver than I am! Predicting for relatives and other loved ones, or even analyzing them has always been very difficult for me, except for a few times when absolutely necessary. And they always felt that I was just making excuses to not read for them :-(

Got to work on that 'granthi' in the next lifetime, again as an astrologer!

Love, Light, Healing...

Rohiniranjan
But isnt that the best way to learn :) Dada?
But yes, we have to keep the emotions separate, which should not be easy....?!

Many of us are braver in our own ways.
About this one, I guess the basic nature supports...

Thanks,

Rishi
Unfortunately, that may not necessarily be the best way to *learn* Rishi! It is a good way, particularly if we are of the technical mindset, since it follows the technical subject (linear) model!

But if you are happy, I am happy! For you ;-)

Love and Light!

Rohiniranjan

I understand what you mean.

I tried to use astrodienst for data studies, but I was not able to use it.
Can you help?

Rishi
Last edited by RishiRahul on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:59 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:In hindsight now that we know, I am personally very relieved to hear that, the discussion and sharing did not cause you discomfort, dear Rishi!

You are braver than I am! Predicting for relatives and other loved ones, or even analyzing them has always been very difficult for me, except for a few times when absolutely necessary. And they always felt that I was just making excuses to not read for them :-(

Love, Light, Healing...

Rohiniranjan

Thanks,

Rishi
Unfortunately, that may not necessarily be the best way to *learn* Rishi! It is a good way, particularly if we are of the technical mindset, since it follows the technical subject (linear) model!

Love and Light!

Rohiniranjan

Can you help?

Rishi
Sorry if I misled! Astrodienst is primarily for being used as a collection of charts! They apparently do have a research section (as per menu options) but it is available to their staff only.

What I was suggesting was to collect data from ADt and build a personal database in excel or Access. It is a shame that it is essentially a reverse-engineering process. ADB software permitted on the fly research and so on. If someone is selling it still, it is probably possible to buy a copy, perhaps on ebay (I am guessing!). Technically, it is not permissible for someone to sell the software (original disk and not a copy, that is), but with the company dissolved, I am not sure what is legal or permissible. Perhaps write to Astrodienst CEO and see what their feeling is about this. But first find a copy for sale.

It was a terrible and damaging to astrology decision they made, even their staff had no inkling that this was coming their way :-(

Sorry, could not be of much help or be cheery about that matter!

RR
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:44 am

Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:

Love, Light, Healing...

Rohiniranjan

Thanks,

Rishi

Love and Light!

Rohiniranjan

Can you help?

Rishi
Sorry if I misled! Astrodienst is primarily for being used as a collection of charts! They apparently do have a research section (as per menu options) but it is available to their staff only.

What I was suggesting was to collect data from ADt and build a personal database in excel or Access. It is a shame that it is essentially a reverse-engineering process. ADB software permitted on the fly research and so on. If someone is selling it still, it is probably possible to buy a copy, perhaps on ebay (I am guessing!). Technically, it is not permissible for someone to sell the software (original disk and not a copy, that is), but with the company dissolved, I am not sure what is legal or permissible. Perhaps write to Astrodienst CEO and see what their feeling is about this. But first find a copy for sale.

It was a terrible and damaging to astrology decision they made, even their staff had no inkling that this was coming their way :-(

RR
Astrodienst is not available at ebay.

I am not savvy with excel & access, rather do not yet know how to use them; though I understand what you say.

I do carry out data studies my own way.

Thanks,

Rishi
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:05 am

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:

Love, Light, Healing...

Rohiniranjan

Thanks,

Rishi

Love and Light!

Rohiniranjan

Can you help?

Rishi

RR
Astrodienst is not available at ebay.

I am not savvy with excel & access, rather do not yet know how to use them; though I understand what you say.

I do carry out data studies my own way.

Thanks,

Rishi
OH DEAR ME!

Rishi, that astrodienst tip was not for YOU ;-)
Unless you are *morning.mirage?* (just kidding! You know how naughty I can be!) <LOL>

Of course you carry your data studies your own way! You are experienced and as we bongs call: Zhaanu!

I already knew that!

By the way, seriously sharing, the Ebay tip was NEVER about Astrodienst! THAT is already freely available on the web!

It was ADB I was talking about...!

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:02 am

RishiRahul wrote:Thanks again Dada.

ADB  is also available at the web; or is it something else that I dont understand.

Rishi
Rishi,

The actual database of birthdata and bio information was prepared, amassed by Lois M. Rodden, but it was simply a bunch of records in a text, wordprocessor format.

Then Mark Donough joined forces with Lois and produced it in a database format (searchable, sortable, etc). He converted the Rodden birth records into an access database and the two (birthdata records and the ADB access based software became a useful tool. At first using only western tropical criteria, eventually it also began vedic astrology criteria and different ayanamshas. It still remained a limited product (from vedic parameters point of view) as many things and terms that are of great interest to vedic astrology researchers are not supported. All the information is there but not utilized -- as is true for the research component of all vedic software. Western based research tools such as Jigsaw and others are way more powerfull but ONLY for western framework.

In order to protect exclusivity, ADB remained a locked software and so while birthdata updates still continue, its database manager function is crippled. The later versions, from what I hear, were designed by one Indian programmer.

After the 'surprising' and abrupt pull-out from the market, ADB has become an orphan, in the sense of the programming aspect.

Users can still add new birthdata etc and even create new personal databases, but are stuck with the searchable parameters programmed by the ADB company. The birthdata update is still supported by Astrodienst, and to their credit they have basically kept ADB (the orphan!) alive by CPR, but it is like a brain-dead comatosed patient! New search strategies cannot be added, and it seems that no one really cares to go through the hassle! All birthdata etc are in the public domain, courtesy of astrodienst after their acquisition of ADB, but the search strategy is missing. It is IRONICAL that the database of Lois Rodden, originally was created in the same discrete records (individual records) manner, and now is back in a sense to the same or similar original form :-(

The fault is not Mark Donough's or Astrodienst's. The fault lies squarely on the vibrant Jyotish communities who talk about research all the time, but never raised a finger to support a worthy product like ADB. Poor sales make any product unsustainable! The same is true for calculation software. Very few products have remained alive but many many more software have met with untimely and undeserving demise! At least in the past 20+ years that I have been monitoring the scene!

Love, Light, Lament!

Rohiniranjan

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:36 am

It would be wonderful for us, Jyotishi's to be able to use ADB...... BUT alas...!

Let us hope that this data tool is open again.

RishiRahul
RishiRahul.com

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:33 pm

RishiRahul wrote:It would be wonderful for us, Jyotishi's to be able to use ADB...... BUT alas...!

RishiRahul
I would not be so discouraged, Rishi. The data is freely available at astrodienst and if a category is of interest, those can be taken from their site and one can import that into an excel or if DBMS-saavy into Access or similar DBMSs and still be able to do research. The process has become a bit grueling now, admittedly.

But the advantage of such software etc is that we move away from 'anecdotal' evidence type research. Realistically, many folks tend to get excited with certain combinations and correlations etc and ultimately that can be a slippery slope &nbsp; :smt010

Dada
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:08 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:It would be wonderful for us, Jyotishi's to be able to use ADB...... BUT alas...!

RishiRahul
I would not be so discouraged, Rishi. The data is freely available at astrodienst and if a category is of interest, those can be taken from their site and one can import that into an excel or if DBMS-saavy into Access or similar DBMSs and still be able to do research. The process has become a bit grueling now, admittedly.

But the advantage of such software etc is that we move away from 'anecdotal' evidence type research. Realistically, many folks tend to get excited with certain combinations and correlations etc and ultimately that can be a slippery slope   :smt010

Dada

Yes Dada,

I think I am aware of this slippery slope. Since there is no other option let me see what can be done, if it needs to be done.

Thanks,

Rishi
RishiRahul.com

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:37 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:

RishiRahul

But the advantage of such software etc is that we move away from 'anecdotal' evidence type research. Realistically, many folks tend to get excited with certain combinations and correlations etc and ultimately that can be a slippery slope   :smt010

Dada

Yes Dada,

I think I am aware of this slippery slope. Since there is no other option let me see what can be done, if it needs to be done.

Thanks,

Rishi
Millions of jyotishis have done pretty well without database software or research tools or even doing research. Rishi, these things are not mandatory, dare I say, for most! :-)

Ironically, had ADB or similar been critically necessary, then they would have been thriving products, would they not? ;-)

Ergo, consumer base (jyotishis) decided that such data-mining is not necessary for their learning, or practice of jyotish.

I personally do not have a stake in any of this. If they are happy, I am happy! For them ;-)

Love and Light!

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

gangaramsalave

Post by gangaramsalave » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:04 am

Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:

RishiRahul

Dada

Yes Dada,

Thanks,

Rishi
Millions of jyotishis have done pretty well without database software or research tools or even doing research. Rishi, these things are not mandatory, dare I say, for most! :-)

Ironically, had ADB or similar been critically necessary, then they would have been thriving products, would they not? ;-)

Ergo, consumer base (jyotishis) decided that such data-mining is not necessary for their learning, or practice of jyotish.

I personally do not have a stake in any of this. If they are happy, I am happy! For them ;-)

Love and Light!

Rohiniranjan

I found a very good site ( Maybe others are already aware ) named Saptarishi Research Software. There they have the software, which seems very similar to ADB ( I have never seen ADB, just gauged from various discussions on it ). It has around 29000 + charts, taken from ADB, and a very good search option. The results can be exported to JHora and link exist to the Astrodientist site for details about the individual.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:24 am

gangaramsalave wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:

RishiRahul

Dada

Yes Dada,

Thanks,

Rishi

Love and Light!

Rohiniranjan

I found a very good site ( Maybe others are already aware ) named Saptarishi Research Software. There they have the software, which seems very similar to ADB ( I have never seen ADB, just gauged from various discussions on it ). It has around 29000 + charts, taken from ADB, and a very good search option. The results can be exported to JHora and link exist to the Astrodientist site for details about the individual.

Hello,

Oh! i was not aware of the saptarshi astrology software! I tried to find the download link or at least the feature list.

Also was not aware if the adb. And how may the results be admited to jhora.

I use Jhora mainly.

RishiRahul
RishiRahul.com

gangaramsalave

Post by gangaramsalave » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:49 am

Hello Rishi Sir,

Search "saptarishisresearchsoftware" in google. Not sure if I can paste the link here.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:45 am

http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=85782

Friend,

As part of wanting to make the forums more user friendly again, I would like to clear up this matter once and for all about how we decide whether an external link is allowed to be posted on the forums. &nbsp;

When you are in any doubt as to whether the posting of a link to an external website will be allowed on the forums, please read the above guidelines which have been there since late November of last year.

If the Sapti Research Software site is not your own which you are promoting or advertising, OR the owner of the SRS website is not being intentionally or deliberately given free advertising or promotion of their products or services by you posting it on our forums, then please go ahead.

If a moderator disagrees with you about whether a particular link should be posted then we reserve the right to either remove the link itself, or if necessary the entire posting if it no longer makes any sense without the link being included.
If at any time BEFORE posting a link you are not sure if it will be allowed on that forum and would like my guidance on this matter, I am usually only a private message away.
In this case post the link, and I will either approve or remove it.

No bad feelings, and no harm done.

Regards,

Brian &nbsp;:)

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:02 am

gangaramsalave wrote:Hello Rishi Sir,

Search "saptarishisresearchsoftware" in google. Not sure if I can paste the link here.

Thanks. I was able to download the software (1.0.6 version),and install it.
But still unable to use it.

How can the results be exported to jhora?

RishiRahul

Return to “Vedic Astrology”