A Question about Nakshatras from KN Rao's book

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

karthikera

A Question about Nakshatras from KN Rao's book

Post by karthikera » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:14 am

Hello,

I started learning Astrology from KN Rao's book - Learn Hindu Astrology Easily. I came across a stumbling block (a confusion) and i hope some of you can help me...

Please see Page no. 21, 22 and 23 in KN Rao's book - Learn Hindu Astrology Easily.  In 21, he starts discussing about nakshatras saying.... " Now you must know something about Nakshatras.... "

After that, there are two tables of nakshatras and their lords. On page no. 23, under the heading : The importance of Lagna, the Moon and the Janma Nakshatra, he says as follows at  the end... " I will give you one instance and then give you series of exercises by giving you charts in both north and south indian styles."

After that,  he asks a series of questions .... Locate the Janma Nakshatra in the following cases... I dont understand what he is talking about... what he wants me to do and how he wants me to do that!!!!!!

Im confused !!!! :smt010  :smt009  Please help me.... I am completely new to this subject.
please dont mind my noob question :)

Rohiniranjan

Re: A Question about Nakshatras from KN Rao's book

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:27 pm

karthikera wrote:Hello,

I started learning Astrology from KN Rao's book - Learn Hindu Astrology Easily. I came across a stumbling block (a confusion) and i hope some of you can help me...

Please see Page no. 21, 22 and 23 in KN Rao's book - Learn Hindu Astrology Easily.  In 21, he starts discussing about nakshatras saying.... " Now you must know something about Nakshatras.... "

After that, there are two tables of nakshatras and their lords. On page no. 23, under the heading : The importance of Lagna, the Moon and the Janma Nakshatra, he says as follows at  the end... " I will give you one instance and then give you series of exercises by giving you charts in both north and south indian styles."

After that,  he asks a series of questions .... Locate the Janma Nakshatra in the following cases... I dont understand what he is talking about... what he wants me to do and how he wants me to do that!!!!!!

Im confused !!!! :smt010  :smt009  Please help me.... I am completely new to this subject.

In general, *janma-nakshatra* is the nakshatra in which moon was located at birth in the natal (birth) horoscope. The calculation of vimshottary dasa (and several others depending on the nakshatra) is made using this very important parameter.

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Certain

Post by Certain » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:28 pm

I completely understand what you are saying.
Remember there is something called as 'Halo effect'. Halo effect really is a supposition that if a person is perfect in A to K, will also be perfect in K to Z. Probabilities are not realities.
This is an effect most people suffer about others as well as about themselves. One may fall prey to the notion that one's astounding dexterity in the subject is enough to author a perfect book.
It is a huge misconception.
Book writing is a completely different art. K.N.Rao books are very very badly written. I really apologize for this criticism but this is the reality. Most people say he is very knowledgeable. I respect him and his knowledge. I wish I had a better review about his books to share.
I am an avid reader. I do have an aptitude to read even most boring of the topics very fondly. I love to read astrology but sadly on my astrology shelf , only K N Rao 's books remain unread as they are so poorly written that I fail to concentrate on them. Each time I try to read (I have attemped that a number of times), I get upset at the incoherence of flow of a topic, get frustrated and then I quit.
Try reading some other less known writer, he will do a better justice to you.
Second thing which clearly stands out in his books is that they are not concept oriented books , they are 'I' oriented books. "I had said that to this person or I made a prediction" is so commonly frequented notion in his books. That is another reason why they  hardly do much justice to the reader.
Who is established in self, can not create for others as 'I' is jinxed by the universe. It does not flow, it is restrictive.
A book , whenever is written for others to read , should always keep the reader's flow of thoughts in consideration even if you are guiding them. If a write up targetting wider audience is a 'never-reorganised' first draft of your thought process, it is more likely to fail in its objective unless you are born genius able to create best of symphonies without learning music.  

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:30 pm

Without sounding critical or too judgmental, I think Mr. Rao uses the "narrative" style almost akin to a stream of consciousness writing. I have only read a few of his books (jaimini, dasas, destiny, reincarnation, saints, and a few others). Quite frankly, I had to mentally filter out his references to Mr. Raman in some of his writings :-)  I have personally gained a lot from BVR's books which were way above many others available when I was a bachcha jyotishi, in hindi or English. I found similar strains in his interview videos and forum sharings, years ago. But no one is perfect and even BVR whose magazine I learned a lot from those back in the 60s 70s, used to have content (some written by him under pen-names (I suspect and assume!) which were directed against scientists etc and which I found a bit skewed (biased). But all those could be my personal bias too :-)

Either way, both KNR and BVR have been powerhouses who injected the proverbial adrenaline in the flailing arm of jyotish and stretched the frontiers, if not horizons of Jyotish in a global sense and hence in my book remain very significant figures. Santhanam also, though not liked by some, was significant through his focus on making jyotish literature available to English-speaking folks.

Among writers from India, I personally like the writings of Dr. KSC; it is a pity that he did not continue writing, but given his professional responsibilities that is understandable.

From my web-explorations in the field of jyotish (having been cut-off from India decades ago in a physical sense), I am sure that there remains a vastly untapped treasure of jyotish knowledge, particularly in South India and which has for one reason or another simply remained unshared even in India. Which is unfortunate but that is how it is and perhaps may remain so... Our loss, I suppose! <sigh>

If the horoscope truly portrays one, it should be interesting to study the charts of these writers/teachers about their writing-communicating styles, but that would not be appropriate to do on public forums.

Anyways, variety is the spice of life...

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

{{Addendum: I forgot to mention the name of PVR Narasimha Rao. Although I read his book on Integrative approach, much later in my journey -- he writes very lucidly and his book, now available for free for some years, is a good one for beginners and even intermediate students of astrology.}}

Certain

Post by Certain » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:49 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:Without sounding critical or too judgmental, I think Mr. Rao uses the "narrative" style almost akin to a stream of consciousness writing. I have only read a few of his books (jaimini, dasas, destiny, reincarnation, saints, and a few others). Quite frankly, I had to mentally filter out his references to Mr. Raman in some of his writings :-)  I have personally gained a lot from BVR's books which were way above many others available when I was a bachcha jyotishi, in hindi or English. I found similar strains in his interview videos and forum sharings, years ago. But no one is perfect and even BVR whose magazine I learned a lot from those back in the 60s 70s, used to have content (some written by him under pen-names (I suspect and assume!) which were directed against scientists etc and which I found a bit skewed (biased). But all those could be my personal bias too :-)

Either way, both KNR and BVR have been powerhouses who injected the proverbial adrenaline in the flailing arm of jyotish and stretched the frontiers, if not horizons of Jyotish in a global sense and hence in my book remain very significant figures. Santhanam also, though not liked by some, was significant through his focus on making jyotish literature available to English-speaking folks.

Among writers from India, I personally like the writings of Dr. KSC; it is a pity that he did not continue writing, but given his professional responsibilities that is understandable.

From my web-explorations in the field of jyotish (having been cut-off from India decades ago in a physical sense), I am sure that there remains a vastly untapped treasure of jyotish knowledge, particularly in South India and which has for one reason or another simply remained unshared even in India. Which is unfortunate but that is how it is and perhaps may remain so... Our loss, I suppose! <sigh>

If the horoscope truly portrays one, it should be interesting to study the charts of these writers/teachers about their writing-communicating styles, but that would not be appropriate to do on public forums.

Anyways, variety is the spice of life...

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

{{Addendum: I forgot to mention the name of PVR Narasimha Rao. Although I read his book on Integrative approach, much later in my journey -- he writes very lucidly and his book, now available for free for some years, is a good one for beginners and even intermediate students of astrology.}}
I agree with you .
Yes Narsimha Rao book can be more helpful for any beginner, it is well organised book.
I am sincerely thankful to all who have chosen to write including K N Rao ,as may be some day I will have enough time to sit through those books as well. Some book is still better than no book.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:26 am

Jyotish is a very difficult subject to write about, my dear friend, because it is multi-factorial but the linearity of the medium of transferring the complex thought process that goes into a reading vs writing and capturing IT ALL in a book, and certainly in a message (like on the web format including forums!) can be a horrendous task! I marvel at folks who intrepidly rely just on books or web-material to strive to come to grips with the MAMMOTH it (jyotish) is! And the appetite and expectations of readers are stupendous and stupifying! Furthermore, the claims made by many on the web, for that matter, that they have studied hundreds or thousands of charts which they were consulted about (so, real flesh and bones folks such as reading requesters or clients) on one yoga or arishta (for example KSY or Guru Chandal yoga) make me want to bow and touch their both feet, individually, each time I read such claims!). I had been spending oodles of my personal time for now decades but quite honestly I never quite reached such huge numbers as far as individual combinations are concerned! If a combination can mathematically occur in say 20% of times, then each thousand would mean roughly 5-6000 nativities, and I am being generous with the prevalence figures of some of the combinations that we run into in jyotish! Without, ADB or some such databases, I would have been entirely at a loss in this pursuit of this lifetime!! Mind you, KNR had been a yogi and did not go the grihasta route in life and so when he states that he has a personal database of 50k+ consulted nativities and their charts with ten or more events per chart, in his possession, it is believable and adds weight to his observations and sharings.

Maybe I am ruled by saturn and SLOW, a bit too much ;-)  whereas, others on the WEB are not! <LOL>

Next time around, I sure pray to MA that I come back as a PSYCHIC! They have such an easier journey? Or maybe distant drums sound particularly appeasing...? <LOL>

Love and Light and Levity!

Rohiniranjan

Certain

Post by Certain » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:06 am

Rohiniranjan wrote:Jyotish is a very difficult subject to write about, my dear friend, because it is multi-factorial but the linearity of the medium of transferring the complex thought process that goes into a reading vs writing and capturing IT ALL in a book, and certainly in a message (like on the web format including forums!) can be a horrendous task! I marvel at folks who intrepidly rely just on books or web-material to strive to come to grips with the MAMMOTH it (jyotish) is! And the appetite and expectations of readers are stupendous and stupifying! Furthermore, the claims made by many on the web, for that matter, that they have studied hundreds or thousands of charts which they were consulted about (so, real flesh and bones folks such as reading requesters or clients) on one yoga or arishta (for example KSY or Guru Chandal yoga) make me want to bow and touch their both feet, individually, each time I read such claims!). I had been spending oodles of my personal time for now decades but quite honestly I never quite reached such huge numbers as far as individual combinations are concerned! If a combination can mathematically occur in say 20% of times, then each thousand would mean roughly 5-6000 nativities, and I am being generous with the prevalence figures of some of the combinations that we run into in jyotish! Without, ADB or some such databases, I would have been entirely at a loss in this pursuit of this lifetime!! Mind you, KNR had been a yogi and did not go the grihasta route in life and so when he states that he has a personal database of 50k+ consulted nativities and their charts with ten or more events per chart, in his possession, it is believable and adds weight to his observations and sharings.

Maybe I am ruled by saturn and SLOW, a bit too much ;-)  whereas, others on the WEB are not! <LOL>

Next time around, I sure pray to MA that I come back as a PSYCHIC! They have such an easier journey? Or maybe distant drums sound particularly appeasing...? <LOL>

Love and Light and Levity!

Rohiniranjan
I hear you and agree wholeheartedly. I have no doubt on Mr Rao's capability or &nbsp;knowledge at all. Some people are gifted more than others. My complaint for his books is more a frustration than a criticism.
I bought them with the epxectation of a masterpiece written by some genius as described by my sister. She has officially learnt astrology unlike me. &nbsp;I was very disappointed.
May be some other person is assigned by God for this task of rewriting them in a better way.
Life has mysterious ways.

Certain

Post by Certain » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:19 am

One more thing If I may convey to all consciousness writers is that "What you channel from divine, reorganise it for mundane. " &nbsp;First half alone is task half done. It leaves a place for someone like spiritual gurus of today to mint millions out of it.
When we do not reorganize, common man pays out of the pocket for the same philosophy to 'reorganising person' even though original channeling writer wrote it for free to help mankind.

karthikera

Post by karthikera » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:18 am

this is dissappointing... i already bought 5 books and none of them are helping me anyway..... :(

karthikera

Post by karthikera » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:22 am

one more thing is... I see that Mr. Rao's website accepts only payment from Paypal. that means no one from India can request any horoscope reading from him and his panel of astrologers......

It is so dissappointing to see that they are interested ONLY in american dollars...

If hope they add Indian rupees payment gateway otherwise... whats the use of talking big big words that he has done this service to astrology... that service to astrology.... when you are not doing any predictions to help Indians.

I am really frustrated with this hypocrisy....

I say this 'hypocrisy' because this problem didn't show up just yesterday.... It has been there for more than 1-2 years... Not adding another payment gateway clearly shows their lack of interest in looking at horoscopes of 'people with rupees' (Indians). :smt019 &nbsp;:smt012

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:49 am

Dear Karthikera,

You should raise these concerns with whoever is managing Mr. Rao's practice etc. As far as I know he is in his 80's or close to that age, so someone might be managing the accounts for him, etc. We here would not have any inkling re the operational aspects and frustrations raised by you. We hear and understand your frustrations. Unfortunately, Indian banks have this habit of raising roadblocks too. A couple of years ago, I had to sent some money to a charitable institution in India and was told that Indian banks would only accept American currency drafts or other currencies except for INR. Seemed a bit odd, but maybe they had some reasons, although the funny thing is that whether in INR or $ or pounds etc, it would be the same foreign bank that would be issuing the draft <LOL>

Anyways, sorry I could not be of any help in assuaging your frustrations...

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:56 am

Certain wrote:One more thing If I may convey to all consciousness writers is that "What you channel from divine, reorganise it for mundane. "  First half alone is task half done. It leaves a place for someone like spiritual gurus of today to mint millions out of it.
When we do not reorganize, common man pays out of the pocket for the same philosophy to 'reorganising person' even though original channeling writer wrote it for free to help mankind.

Noted! If I ever begin channeling El Torr or Xanadu 1008, and decide to write my dialogues with such entities, in a commercial book sold in the marketplace, I will get a professional editor to clean up things! Like Jane Roberts' hubby was recording her dialogues with Seth on tape and then transcribing. Most of those Seth Books give the date and times of the channelings. Interesting material for astrologers who are into researching those to see if the contents of each emission correlated with transits in Jane's birthchart etc :-)

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Certain

Post by Certain » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:32 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:
Certain wrote:One more thing If I may convey to all consciousness writers is that "What you channel from divine, reorganise it for mundane. "  First half alone is task half done. It leaves a place for someone like spiritual gurus of today to mint millions out of it.

Noted! If I ever begin channeling El Torr or Xanadu 1008, and decide to write my dialogues with such entities, in a commercial book sold in the marketplace, I will get a professional editor to clean up things! Like Jane Roberts' hubby was recording her dialogues with Seth on tape and then transcribing. Most of those Seth Books give the date and times of the channelings. Interesting material for astrologers who are into researching those to see if the contents of each emission correlated with transits in Jane's birthchart etc :-)

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan
&nbsp;:smt003

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:51 pm

Karthikera,

I am not trying to fan the cinders on this thread, but not having read this specific book by KNR, I am a bit intrigued that Mr. Rao would pose such a question in a book for beginners! Are your sure he did not refer in the earlier pages of that book or some related book in which this rather basic thing 'janma nakshatra' was defined? I realize that he sometimes refers in his books about charts given in some other book of his, quoting those as examples. I did feel a bit stumbled when I came across those (I think in one or more of his dasa books) since I did not have those other books in my possession, but what you expressed your frustration about is a different matter entirely, being a fundamental *term*. Most beginners in astrology pick up the lingo of jyotish (fundamentals essentially!) from general reading on or off web, of course.

Anyways, you should not get discouraged or give up! Jyotish is a complex subject with many terms and more confusingly, different names for same term as often written in english, roughly phonetically and confusing to beginners. To give a simple example, had I been a newcomer to astrology and before I even got the fundamentals, had I 40 some years ago been subjected to the fairly different names of nakshatras etc as written even in english by astrologers from North India vs South India, I would have been pulling my hair, and biting my nails to the quick as well! But thank heavens back then there was no internet and sudden, immediate and overwhelming exposure to a volley of different sounding terminology saying basically the same thing!

Internet has been the boon as well as bane, not so much for Jyotish, but for the beginner for sure. I have no perfect solution for this, other than a personal sharing! When I was not quite a teenager, I had always been drawn towards divination and occultism although was not raised in a family with any strong ties with either field. My mother was a bit more permissive and even bought me my first book in occultism (Cheiro's palmistry pocket book). Then a friend and I discovered that we shared this mutual interest in occultism and earlier somewhat cold towards one another, we became very close friends and for many many years, then we got separated by my move elsewhere and so on. Suresh told me about jyotish and I bought a book but could make neither head nor tails from what the book was telling me. As a teenager, comfortable with palmistry etc. I simply gave up on jyotish as a closed chapter! But a yearning remained inside...! I used to frequent a bookstore Rupayana which was the store where I felt so much peace always and it had fantastic collection of books. I bought a book almost on an impulse about Western Tropical Astrology. It was written in a more lucid style and even had an abridged ephemeris. The terms were explained clearly and simply with no presuppositions about the level of readers. It was impossible to put the tome down and for the first time, I began to sense what astrology is all about or can be! Almost exactly one year after I gave up on jyotish, having played with tropical astrology during that year or less, I picked up that somewhat hastily abandoned jyotish booklet again and this time was surprised, why I did not get it, the first time around!

I was sensitized to this King Robert Bruce of Scotland reality/phenomenon and observed it again and again in my personal experience and of others. BPHS for instance. I read it a bit too early in my jyotish journey, got overwhelmed, gave up but have had the good fortune to study it several times since then and cannot really claim that I know or understand it all! But each time I read and re-read all these books read earlier and sometimes a chart discussion on the web or elsewhere lights up a bulb and I run back to the books earlier read, more understanding arises! It is a gradual and continual process of learning, growth I suppose.

So what I am trying to impress upon you is, do not try too hard, but do not give up too readily or easily. If the vidya is in your bhagya, She will come after you and get you! And if not, well, there are so many other options available! Including simply giving up!!

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

karthikera

Post by karthikera » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:00 pm

i think it is better to join a course rather than self study... Its an uphill task to do everything on my own. thanks anyway...

yes... Mr. Rao is so unclear in that book... read it for yourself if you are interested... you can download the ebook from this torrent

http://extratorrent.cc/torrent/3219323/ ... logy).html

Return to “Vedic Astrology”