Ayanamsa and Sun's motion

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

asro

Ayanamsa and Sun's motion

Post by asro » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi all,

I have this question since long in my mind, regading the northern (or is it northward) movement of sun.  Does the northern or southern -ness of hemisphere play any role in sidereal of tropical zodiacs ?

What we call as Sun's Uttarayana  should it be called Dakshinayana ? Given the fact the north as we know is actually down  and vice versa. Thanks to Ptolemy that he influenced the generations of cartographpers to represent us in northern hemisphere, but how does this impact tropical zodiac calculations. Also does this at all have  any impact on sidereal?.

Any charts accuracy depends on the equations leading to calculation of ayanamsa (presuming time of birth precisely recorded ), so do our longitude calculations still remain intact?.  Also when surya sidhant gives the cyclic concept of ayanamsa does it address this issue ?

And just out of curiosity does any one know or has read that how the terms of Uttaryana and Dakshinayana  were defined. If our ancient Seers pin pointed so many things correct, would they miss the part that india does fall in southern hemisphere?  :smt017

Please do share your thoughts

warmly
Asro

Rohiniranjan

Re: Ayanamsa and Sun's motion

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Dear Asro,

This one really made me scratch my head :-) I had never thought about the North South, although I recalled that older maps (ancient) actually showed the world upside down as we know it by modern maps!

I do see the point that the north-pole (our earth is magnetic) would understandably be attracted towards and pointing towards ?Galactic South? (is that the basis of this North is South puzzling question?) I am not sure though about the role of magnetism on earth's orientation in space vis a vis the galactic magnetic field. I kind of assumed that gravitation was what kept the solar system together and moon in particular is responsible for the tilt of the earth through gravitational forces?

Is there really a significant galactic (or even larger) magnetic field that operates and has been measured (in space? Not sure what happens to the compass in space station or interplanetary expeditions??). Your question sure is very interesting and intriguing, I must say!

The magnetic property of the earth, as far as I know, is primary governed by the molten core containing magnetic elements which means it is fluid and thus not constant directionally for extremely large periods of time -- aeons, eras, yugas, etc.), but my question is this: Is the directionality of the earth's molten magnet determined by some larger galactic magnetic field or is it pointing the way it is by gravitational forces which is different from magnetic though has similar attributes (attraction, for sure!). So any changes in the gravitational fields then influences the orientation of the earth mass and the fluid core can potentially change its orientation as well and the compasses, accordingly?

Does my musing aloud making sense to you and others? Let me first understand that with your help and then we can think about the rest of your questions...? ;-)

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

A good and informative URLs noticed after I posted my response.

http://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=19810
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 241AA4kwUO

**http://www.flourish.org/upsidedownmap/
asro wrote:Hi all,

I have this question since long in my mind, regading the northern (or is it northward) movement of sun.  Does the northern or southern -ness of hemisphere play any role in sidereal of tropical zodiacs ?

What we call as Sun's Uttarayana  should it be called Dakshinayana ? Given the fact the north as we know is actually down  and vice versa. Thanks to Ptolemy that he influenced the generations of cartographpers to represent us in northern hemisphere, but how does this impact tropical zodiac calculations. Also does this at all have  any impact on sidereal?.

Any charts accuracy depends on the equations leading to calculation of ayanamsa (presuming time of birth precisely recorded ), so do our longitude calculations still remain intact?.  Also when surya sidhant gives the cyclic concept of ayanamsa does it address this issue ?

And just out of curiosity does any one know or has read that how the terms of Uttaryana and Dakshinayana  were defined. If our ancient Seers pin pointed so many things correct, would they miss the part that india does fall in southern hemisphere?  :smt017

Please do share your thoughts

warmly
Asro
Last edited by Rohiniranjan on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asro

Post by asro » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:24 am

Dear Asro,

This one really made me scratch my head I had never thought about the North South, although I recalled that older maps (ancient) actually showed the world upside down as we know it by modern maps!

I do see the point that the north-pole (our earth is magnetic) would understandably be attracted towards and pointing towards ?Galactic South? (is that the basis of this North is South puzzling question?) I am not sure though about the role of magnetism on earth's orientation in space vis a vis the galactic magnetic field. I kind of assumed that gravitation was what kept the solar system together and moon in particular is responsible for the tilt of the earth through gravitational forces?

Is there really a significant galactic (or even larger) magnetic field that operates and has been measured (in space? Not sure what happens to the compass in space station or interplanetary expeditions??). Your question sure is very interesting and intriguing, I must say!

The magnetic property of the earth, as far as I know, is primary governed by the molten core containing magnetic elements which means it is fluid and thus not constant directionally for extremely large periods of time -- aeons, eras, yugas, etc.), but my question is this: Is the directionality of the earth's molten magnet determined by some larger galactic magnetic field or is it pointing the way it is by gravitational forces which is different from magnetic though has similar attributes (attraction, for sure!). So any changes in the gravitational fields then influences the orientation of the earth mass and the fluid core can potentially change its orientation as well and the compasses, accordingly?

Does my musing aloud making sense to you and others? Let me first understand that with your help and then we can think about the rest of your questions...?

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
Namastey RRji,

"aapne jawab nahi hi nahi dena tha toh waise bol dete, yeh out of syllabus sawal poonch liya aapne“  :smt003

jokes apart,  I thank you for not dismissing my question as mere conspiracy theory, as southside up is quite odd thing to digest.

Sire I aint no astrophysicist, nor remotely a physicist. What you asked is more expansive and scratching my head (with receding hair) brings out nothing.  :smt010

Though the brilliant minds of this and past century are working to find answers to what you ask, and yes it does make sense to me. Going by the prevalent theories yes earth's molten core drives its magnetism. The planetary motion is the source for it to act as dyanmo which consistently keeps the dipole working. And the string theory with all its strings and branes makes it hard to comprehend.

Coming to the question if directionality of earths mag field. The poles in history (the paleo types) have had reversals.  But that is even happening currently has the north pole keeps wandering, depending/governed by the molten core. We have our sun just 8 min away from us who has regularly hurled the devastating magnetic winds (as recent as 2012) towards earth. And yet that hasn't changed/triggered the pole switch.

If there exists a galactic magnetism,then perhaps it will also need some source for its generation, say something like sun, and could be (or least has to be) far larger than our sun. Such stars do exist in our milky way, but given sun's proximity to us and its relative less influence on earths magnetic field or earths own gravity (another mystery :smt017 ), any large star may not effect earth's dipole.
But there might be other triggers, like tectonic shifts, causing huge change to molten core, or with moon spiraling away (which it is) will reduce its grip on the tides (mass of water), which relates to friction, which in turn say effects the outer mantle, influencing the Coriolis effect occuring. These are just hypotheses, and am sure there exists many out there (and not the Annunaki, Enki ones)      

Now the gravity part which i have only succeeded in failing to understand. Warped space time around a planet/universe uff! (Annunaki seems more plausible :D) But yes whatever gravity is, it does have its sway on magnetic/electric field. The question is how much of gravity one needs to change a magnetic dipole. Light passing by  black hole bends, the spinning black holes drag their own magnetic fields with them.  

Broadly Einstein said gravity is not a force, it is an effect due to mass and energy, while Hawking says its force.  Generally accepted norm would term gravity as property related to mass. Thus gravitational field will be product of mass rather  vice versa. This could mean that changes in gravitational field shall occur in case mass changes. Given the weakness of earths gravity it does not even bend the light, just slows it down. So perhaps it isn't strong enough change/influence magnetic field either.

These are my views and they could be wrong too.

Gravity and magnetism though have attraction in common, but perhaps have very less influence on each other. But yes in case of change in mass,  may cause change in both, but change in either will not effect the mass, seems so for now.

Phew !  That was looong post, I hope I did not loose my reader(s) halfway through.  

warmly
Asro

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:05 pm

asro wrote:
Dear Asro,

This one really made me scratch my head I had never thought about the North South, although I recalled that older maps (ancient) actually showed the world upside down as we know it by modern maps!

Does my musing aloud making sense to you and others? Let me first understand that with your help and then we can think about the rest of your questions...?

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
Namastey RRji,

"aapne jawab nahi hi nahi dena tha toh waise bol dete, yeh out of syllabus sawal poonch liya aapne“  :smt003

jokes apart,  I thank you for not dismissing my question as mere conspiracy theory, as southside up is quite odd thing to digest.

Sire I aint no astrophysicist, nor remotely a physicist. What you asked is more expansive and scratching my head (with receding hair) brings out nothing.  :smt010

Though the brilliant minds of this and past century are working to find answers to what you ask, and yes it does make sense to me. Going by the prevalent theories yes earth's molten core drives its magnetism. The planetary motion is the source for it to act as dyanmo which consistently keeps the dipole working. And the string theory with all its strings and branes makes it hard to comprehend.

Coming to the question if directionality of earths mag field. The poles in history (the paleo types) have had reversals.  But that is even happening currently has the north pole keeps wandering, depending/governed by the molten core. We have our sun just 8 min away from us who has regularly hurled the devastating magnetic winds (as recent as 2012) towards earth. And yet that hasn't changed/triggered the pole switch.

If there exists a galactic magnetism,then perhaps it will also need some source for its generation, say something like sun, and could be (or least has to be) far larger than our sun. Such stars do exist in our milky way, but given sun's proximity to us and its relative less influence on earths magnetic field or earths own gravity (another mystery :smt017 ), any large star may not effect earth's dipole.
But there might be other triggers, like tectonic shifts, causing huge change to molten core, or with moon spiraling away (which it is) will reduce its grip on the tides (mass of water), which relates to friction, which in turn say effects the outer mantle, influencing the Coriolis effect occuring. These are just hypotheses, and am sure there exists many out there (and not the Annunaki, Enki ones)      

Now the gravity part which i have only succeeded in failing to understand. Warped space time around a planet/universe uff! (Annunaki seems more plausible :D) But yes whatever gravity is, it does have its sway on magnetic/electric field. The question is how much of gravity one needs to change a magnetic dipole. Light passing by  black hole bends, the spinning black holes drag their own magnetic fields with them.  

Broadly Einstein said gravity is not a force, it is an effect due to mass and energy, while Hawking says its force.  Generally accepted norm would term gravity as property related to mass. Thus gravitational field will be product of mass rather  vice versa. This could mean that changes in gravitational field shall occur in case mass changes. Given the weakness of earths gravity it does not even bend the light, just slows it down. So perhaps it isn't strong enough change/influence magnetic field either.

These are my views and they could be wrong too.

Gravity and magnetism though have attraction in common, but perhaps have very less influence on each other. But yes in case of change in mass,  may cause change in both, but change in either will not effect the mass, seems so for now.

Phew !  That was looong post, I hope I did not loose my reader(s) halfway through.  

warmly
Asro

I am no AStROfizzycist either my friend :-)
But seriously, I think you have hit upon something significant. Call it one of those extremely rare moments when my intuition works! <LOL>

Earth's Gravity may be weak in relative terms (compared to sun for instance) since I believe it is a function of mass or related to it, but it does act on the magnetic magma which is held within the womb of Mother Earth and defines its magnetic properties. Yet the polarity of the fluid magnet has been estimated to change directions.

Polar wobble leading to north pointing to a different pole star as I see is a gravitational wobble and not a magnetic wobble (unlike polar reversals etc).

Now coming to astrology, the little that I can see or think of is a discipline that deals with 'relations and relatives' (not the flesh and blood kind!). Why I say so?

See, what we say as the solar transits are really created by the earth moving around the sun. The real movement of sun is its galactic travel (it is in dhanu right now and a big deal was made about that in december 2012 as you recall!

Secondly, retrogression is a relative perspective since planets do not really move backwards, only nodes do (mostly).

So in astrological framework even though we take into consideration the constellations and so on, it is a very earth-centric frame of reference.

So, by extension, the ayanas which are really not an attribute of the sun, are an attribute of the earth which due to is polar leaning as it dances around the sun creates the ayanas! North and South are just reference framework, as well. Most humans I believe live in the northern hemisphere (more landmass there!) and so we tend to become a bit north-centric! Fact of the matter is simple: When it is summer in London, it is winter in Sydney! At the very same time! Astrologers (mostly tropical ones) have written volumes and volumes on the symbolism and esoteric significance of the first day of spring (their seasonal zodiac begins then) and the symbolic connection about the ram (aries icon, not our Lord!), but the reality is that spring arrives in Australia in coincidence to tropical Libra! Different strokes...?

Some folks (mystic and religious) talk about the rise of subtle energies as they ebb and tide with apparent solar journey in the northern and southern ayana and maybe such is true at some subtle level but I bet a mirror image phenomenon exists for the southern hemisphere six months later, as well! Harvests, flowering season, etc etc which are seasonal cycles and have local but real consequences and significances, but more to do with the angle of sun's rays and not so much magnetism or which way the absolute north or south is!

Interestingly, speaking of symbolism, we all know that mars has a lot of iron oxide and hence gets its red appearance. In looking through some of the links yesterday, I was a bit amused to read that mars probably has the least strong magnetism, whereas saturn (and jupiter) have the most because of their much higher magnetic chemical composition (iron rich)! Was it some ancient instinct (knowledge?) that old iron objects (such as horseshoes) was recommended for appeasing saturn? Just a trivia or is it trivial pursuit? ;-)

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:40 pm

Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

asro

Post by asro » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:44 am

I am no AStROfizzycist either my friend
But seriously, I think you have hit upon something significant. Call it one of those extremely rare moments when my intuition works! <LOL>

Earth's Gravity may be weak in relative terms (compared to sun for instance) since I believe it is a function of mass or related to it, but it does act on the magnetic magma which is held within the womb of Mother Earth and defines its magnetic properties. Yet the polarity of the fluid magnet has been estimated to change directions.

Polar wobble leading to north pointing to a different pole star as I see is a gravitational wobble and not a magnetic wobble (unlike polar reversals etc).

Now coming to astrology, the little that I can see or think of is a discipline that deals with 'relations and relatives' (not the flesh and blood kind!). Why I say so?

See, what we say as the solar transits are really created by the earth moving around the sun. The real movement of sun is its galactic travel (it is in dhanu right now and a big deal was made about that in december 2012 as you recall!

Secondly, retrogression is a relative perspective since planets do not really move backwards, only nodes do (mostly).

So in astrological framework even though we take into consideration the constellations and so on, it is a very earth-centric frame of reference.

So, by extension, the ayanas which are really not an attribute of the sun, are an attribute of the earth which due to is polar leaning as it dances around the sun creates the ayanas! North and South are just reference framework, as well. Most humans I believe live in the northern hemisphere (more landmass there!) and so we tend to become a bit north-centric! Fact of the matter is simple: When it is summer in London, it is winter in Sydney! At the very same time! Astrologers (mostly tropical ones) have written volumes and volumes on the symbolism and esoteric significance of the first day of spring (their seasonal zodiac begins then) and the symbolic connection about the ram (aries icon, not our Lord!), but the reality is that spring arrives in Australia in coincidence to tropical Libra! Different strokes...?

Some folks (mystic and religious) talk about the rise of subtle energies as they ebb and tide with apparent solar journey in the northern and southern ayana and maybe such is true at some subtle level but I bet a mirror image phenomenon exists for the southern hemisphere six months later, as well! Harvests, flowering season, etc etc which are seasonal cycles and have local but real consequences and significances, but more to do with the angle of sun's rays and not so much magnetism or which way the absolute north or south is!

Interestingly, speaking of symbolism, we all know that mars has a lot of iron oxide and hence gets its red appearance. In looking through some of the links yesterday, I was a bit amused to read that mars probably has the least strong magnetism, whereas saturn (and jupiter) have the most because of their much higher magnetic chemical composition (iron rich)! Was it some ancient instinct (knowledge?) that old iron objects (such as horseshoes) was recommended for appeasing saturn? Just a trivia or is it trivial pursuit?

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
Namstey RRji,

I do see the &nbsp;what you say RRji. &nbsp;When i started this thread I was merely interested with norther or souther-ness of Suns motion. But now i do &nbsp;see the earth centricity of jyotish (and the derived branches). Thanks to you.

Why or how our ancient seers came to those knowledge for sure is not my cup of tea. But the greed to know it does push me (I prefer blaming my Rahu inflicted moon). So why iron, or other metals (bronze age prior to iron) which might even were not known are &nbsp;suggested. with no telescopes they knew mars was reddish, Saturn bluish so on n so forth.

This might just go on ... Thank you sire for pointing me back to Earth, thje most important planet , even if it does not gain position in the nine planet system of Jyotish.

The last link what you sent is truly cool :D. &nbsp;hope it helps in star gazing.

warmly
Asro

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:18 am

asro wrote:
I am no AStROfizzycist either my friend

Interestingly, speaking of symbolism, we all know that mars has a lot of iron oxide and hence gets its red appearance. In looking through some of the links yesterday, I was a bit amused to read that mars probably has the least strong magnetism, whereas saturn (and jupiter) have the most because of their much higher magnetic chemical composition (iron rich)! Was it some ancient instinct (knowledge?) that old iron objects (such as horseshoes) was recommended for appeasing saturn? Just a trivia or is it trivial pursuit?

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
Namstey RRji,

I do see the  what you say RRji.  When i started this thread I was merely interested with norther or souther-ness of Suns motion. But now i do  see the earth centricity of jyotish (and the derived branches). Thanks to you.

Why or how our ancient seers came to those knowledge for sure is not my cup of tea. But the greed to know it does push me (I prefer blaming my Rahu inflicted moon). So why iron, or other metals (bronze age prior to iron) which might even were not known are  suggested. with no telescopes they knew mars was reddish, Saturn bluish so on n so forth.

This might just go on ... Thank you sire for pointing me back to Earth, thje most important planet , even if it does not gain position in the nine planet system of Jyotish.

The last link what you sent is truly cool :D.  hope it helps in star gazing.

warmly
Asro
Dear Asro,

Thanks! But I must thank you too for raising this intriguing question which made me scratch my head, metaphorically, and pointed me to several things that learned long ago but do not actively or regularly think about.

I have always been intrigued by the narrow focus many have on longitudes, but perhaps ignore or forget that Chandigarh and Coimbatore might be on the same longitude but possibly as difference as latitude makes them not really conjunct! And when we extrapolate the earth skywards, then there is declination as well! ;-)

So this thinking exercise gave me reminders to certain other astro-problems that unrelated to what we are discussing on this thread -- had remained intriguing!

The 'humanistic' school of tropical astrology influenced by Jungian thinking and some very powerful voices and minds, such as Rudhyar and others have viewed about How Astrology Works as a 'projection' of human archetypes onto the Universe and they did/do have a point. Others (including many Jyotishis) have seen a more 'receiving' mind-set from the heavens (planets, our star etc) and tend to view it all as effects possibly due to subtle radiations or EM energy and Gravitational 'switches' (Seymore). This leads to the common tendency of blaming the planets etc, while perhaps a better view might be seeing them as 'indicators' and it all works possibly because macrocosmos and microcosmos are somehow mystically linked and the latter holds a record of our Karma (past actions and OUR responsibilities) which perhaps psychics tune-into while we utilize the Macrocosmological and observable pointers which our software calculates for us these days, although some claim that they still calculate everything by hand!

Anyways, it was a valuable digression (as some may call it) from routine astrological "technology", for me and hopefully some others.

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

sethramoon-8

Post by sethramoon-8 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:11 pm

Dear! You like children who have not yet knowing the truth, but only the dual nature of the mind, which has the nature to assume, but do not have. Not for nothing Osho said: "You want to be a fool. Get Higher education material. " And the prophets of the first pharaohs, said that man. This free science and craft. Scientists have appeared in this world. When the world goes to the level of the mind, because all academics. Professor. Doctors and even your higher education, given only the lower forms of development. A lower forms of development are demons. Because the nature of Nakshatra have four species, and the Inquisition were burned at the stake scientists who can project the image of the world only to the illusion. A illusion, reality, matter, deception. synonyms, which generates the dual nature of your mind.

To accept the truth. One must always expand your vision of the world through 180 °. Because the world is minimized along with your consciousness. Which cannot withstand the force of his movement. For this reason, all ancient civilizations were more developed, and our primitive. After June 2006, the world crossed into the nether world. If you are thinking a little bit, then you are waiting for the dinosaurs in the future, but it will not be, because you have already been in the worlds of dinosaurs and any folding of the world. You are always given the fate of going to the worlds, where some of you were in ancient Egypt, and even in Atlantis. All these segments of historical time, always exist, and even now some souls develop in them at the time. how much lower level to the causal waters, we are. To rise high. Need demoralized. To be a prophet, first of degenerate mind. And in the Christian Gospel, Jesus says. That none of those born in this world will not get into the Kingdom of God. It is an allegory of the place where the transition from the dual levels of the mind to the level of the mind combined. In the Russian language it once (one) mind. In English, this concept is not present, it is not incorporated these lower levels of the mind, which give rise to ego deception. So that your planet, it's just the images that materialize only for those fools who have a restless mind that their minds are moved to those shaped planet. For prophet planet. It's just a symbol in astrology, where the fate of each written code. Because all fates were written by God in the beginning of all creations. You practice your next destiny and give it going for you. And do take the fate of going ahead. This is well shown in the Bhagavad Gita, but nobody did not understand why the Earth has existed 4.320 000 000 years because. Mind that the media think about that world that under your feet, and you have just cut off from the Soul afterworld seven skins of consciousness, which represent the seven planets and nodes. Either a three-dimensional image of the circular motion creates your mind and all your movements around the world. It is an illusion, only moving your consciousness, while Soul (bozhestvena0 which is always on the spot where she sewed God. Change your mind and this forum will be the astrological and not a bunch of idiots from the dual nature of the mind.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:44 pm

Thank God, the jyotishis stopped at Saturn. Beyond that, the farther from earthly reality we go, the eccentricities rise...! Pluto being the worst...
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “Vedic Astrology”