READ ANY {GOOD} JYOTISH BOOK OR ARTICLE LATELY...?

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Rohiniranjan

READ ANY {GOOD} JYOTISH BOOK OR ARTICLE LATELY...?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue May 20, 2014 10:55 pm

With internet literature being a significant source of our information, and yet paper and e-paper versions of books being in a steady flow into the consumer market-place, I am assuming that folks (beginners, more experienced/interested individuals) who find jyotish and divinations attractive must have continued reading books and magazines etc...!

I am hoping that apart from all the astrology activities that we all are engaged in, on a regular basis, and which we all have been enjoying here on MB, we can find it worthwhile to share our impressions about the material we read as well. Rather than all that valuable sharing remaining scattered and even hidden in other threads, and pretty much unsearchable, when we need it, perhaps we can add and share our notes and reviews here in this thread.

What I am proposing is not a scholarly and formal review impressions, but informal notes and sharings. Could be a few lines, could be longer and could very well be added in segments. First impressions as we leaf through the books (most being generally growing smaller these days in the era of "pocketbooks" as those were called in my younger days, although the current meaning of that term has become our wallets and purses these days! Or these could be expanded upon later with a fuller set of comments or even after we have had time to absorb and test in real charts etc and the initial impressions and notes embellished after the "rubber hits the road!"

Interested? Please cyber-raise your hands if you are! No explicit or implicit BOOING please!! Moderators are watching...! <LOL>

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed May 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Hey Dada,

Nice Idea! to share our impressions on books.

I have been thinking lately of a book on Horary Astrology.
I have gone trough a few (western & Eastern). But one book takes the CAKE.

"Prashna Tantra" by Neelakatha.

Of course, I havent got the original version, but am talking about its Translation by Dr. B.V. Raman.
I think its unparalleled in giving results.

This wiki link also mentions 'Daivagya Vallabha' by Varamihira.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prasna_Tantra

Rishi
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

Rohiniranjan

Testing... hope it stays with the thread ... :-)

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed May 21, 2014 5:28 pm

I have always been quite 'taken' by the concept of dispositors and read this not too new (though I got to read it only very recently!)
This book by venerable Shri J.N. Bhasin was recently revised and edited by O.P. Verma. "Dispositors in Astrology", published by Ranjan Publications in 2013 gave me a fresh look in the subject or topic on Dispositors, some already known to me and utilized in my work, but also a few fresh insights! Particularly the participation of planets placed in the signs of a planet under consideration at a time. For example, when looking at Jupiter, for dasa or other angles, the planets in Meena and Dhanu rashis too have a big say!

I will add a few notes when I can but since a comprehensive review (and description) already exists, I may as well share that with members here. If you google search for "Dispositors in Astrology" and "Bhasin" you will arrive at the text! It is a commercial site hence I removed the link shared earlier ;-)

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

(Note: I have purchased from many online sites and have found significant differences in their prices and shipping charges (of less concern to those ordering from within India), so do a bit of comparison shopping!)

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Re: Testing... hope it stays with the thread ... :-)

Post by RishiRahul » Thu May 22, 2014 5:00 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:I have always been quite 'taken' by the concept of dispositors and read this not too new (though I got to read it only very recently!)
This book by venerable Shri J.N. Bhasin was recently revised and edited by O.P. Verma. "Dispositors in Astrology", published by Ranjan Publications in 2013 gave me a fresh look in the subject or topic on Dispositors, some already known to me and utilized in my work, but also a few fresh insights! Particularly the participation of planets placed in the signs of a planet under consideration at a time. For example, when looking at Jupiter, for dasa or other angles, the planets in Meena and Dhanu rashis too have a big say!

I will add a few notes when I can but since a comprehensive review (and description) already exists, I may as well share that with members here. If you google search for "Dispositors in Astrology" and "Bhasin" you will arrive at the text! It is a commercial site hence I removed the link shared earlier ;-)

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

(Note: I have purchased from many online sites and have found significant differences in their prices and shipping charges (of less concern to those ordering from within India), so do a bit of comparison shopping!)

Dada,

I have that book- first edition, by Ranjan Publications.
What I need to know= are the later commentaries important, given the fact that I already have the first edition?

Wonderful Rajayoga connections! etc. I always use these while analysis.

Rishi
RishiRahul.com

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu May 22, 2014 5:59 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:I have always been quite 'taken' by the concept of dispositors and read this not too new (though I got to read it only very recently!)

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Dada,

What I need to know= are the later commentaries important, given the fact that I already have the first edition?

Rishi
That would be a hard one, for me to answer :-(
I have only read the 2013 version...
This may or may not help, but mine has 131 pages where text end (and then a few advertisements-announcements)

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Thu May 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Dada,

Rishi
This may or may not help, but mine has 131 pages where text end (and then a few advertisements-announcements)

Mine has 135 pages with ads & announcements.

So I guess its sort of similar, or more 'pressed' writing etc.

Thanks.

Rishi
RishiRahul.com

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu May 22, 2014 10:06 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Dada,

Rishi

Mine has 135 pages with ads & announcements.

So I guess its sort of similar, or more 'pressed' writing etc.

Thanks.

Rishi
Could be the font and typeface used, as well, The Toc is like this:

Intro - p.7
Chap I-p.13
Chap 2-p.37
Chap. 3-p.50
Chap 4-p.82
Chap 5-p.97
Last text page p.131 ending with 'A good wife' example :-)

Probably just a few edits etc and not much 'rewriting' went into the 2013 edition. Paper and printing is rather good compared to other older books (including BVRaman's). We are all getting older and those things have started mattering to us or at least to me...! <LOL>
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “Vedic Astrology”