Terminology kauses Konfusion... :-(

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Rohiniranjan

Terminology kauses Konfusion... :-(

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue May 27, 2014 11:22 am

Just sharing a thought...!

Jyotish was written in Sanskrit and although many of the boomers and later who went to school in India had been sadly, from what I hear, getting an ever-reducing dose of Sanskrit in most public and private schools there. Perhaps now a days this is not the case and an increasing pride towards the rich and beautiful ancient root language has returned. Earlier generations, for instance my father's generation got a much stronger schooling in Sanskrit. Many of us, therefore, have little recourse but to rely on translations and on internet English primarily. Some of the concepts and terminology have invariably crept into jyotish and perhaps coloured our thinking and framework.

One example is this matter of 'combustion' used in tropical astrology. Leading to some minor and major fires and fireworks <LOL>

The Sanskrit term, for combust is asta, which implies to me 'setting', such as setting of sun or moon (antonym of rising or uday). I have always understood that and associated with becoming invisible or visible as opposed to getting 'burnt and consumed'!

Another term is taragraha, which in a different context then leads to confusion because sun is really a star. Here, the tropical terms of lights and planets, unlike combustion, comes to the help of jyotishis learning in English! Dispositors is another, but now I am digressing!

Even those of us who have had only a smattering of Sanskrit, despite much of it once learned either gone or buried in some sub-conscious archival memory vault, should visit some of the sources, but not just read the translation and notes of the translator, but pay some attention to the Sanskrit slokas, from time to time. :-)

It is amazing how powerful the words, their meanings and connotations can be! Shines a fresh twinkle of illumination to the somewhat disrespectful-sounding English phrase, "Straight from the horse's mouth!'

Thanks and regards,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Re: Terminology kauses Konfusion... :-(

Post by RishiRahul » Tue May 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:Just sharing a thought...!

Jyotish was written in Sanskrit and although many of the boomers and later who went to school in India had been sadly, from what I hear, getting an ever-reducing dose of Sanskrit in most public and private schools there. Perhaps now a days this is not the case and an increasing pride towards the rich and beautiful ancient root language has returned. Earlier generations, for instance my father's generation got a much stronger schooling in Sanskrit. Many of us, therefore, have little recourse but to rely on translations and on internet English primarily. Some of the concepts and terminology have invariably crept into jyotish and perhaps coloured our thinking and framework.

One example is this matter of 'combustion' used in tropical astrology. Leading to some minor and major fires and fireworks <LOL>

The Sanskrit term, for combust is asta, which implies to me 'setting', such as setting of sun or moon (antonym of rising or uday). I have always understood that and associated with becoming invisible or visible as opposed to getting 'burnt and consumed'!

Another term is taragraha, which in a different context then leads to confusion because sun is really a star. Here, the tropical terms of lights and planets, unlike combustion, comes to the help of jyotishis learning in English! Dispositors is another, but now I am digressing!

Even those of us who have had only a smattering of Sanskrit, despite much of it once learned either gone or buried in some sub-conscious archival memory vault, should visit some of the sources, but not just read the translation and notes of the translator, but pay some attention to the Sanskrit slokas, from time to time. :-)

It is amazing how powerful the words, their meanings and connotations can be! Shines a fresh twinkle of illumination to the somewhat disrespectful-sounding English phrase, "Straight from the horse's mouth!'

Thanks and regards,

Rohiniranjan
Yes, I also feel that many of these translations over the years may not have the coreect/precise meaning.

Rishi
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

Rohiniranjan

Re: Terminology kauses Konfusion... :-(

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue May 27, 2014 4:32 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:Just sharing a thought...!

Thanks and regards,

Rohiniranjan
Yes, I also feel that many of these translations over the years may not have the coreect/precise meaning.

Rishi
The good ones do, often as side-notes. They need to be studied carefully and thoughtfully, and not hurriedly! And revisited a few times, particularly something like BPHS! Speaking of which, as we all know, even BPHS was not a single-source body of knowledge. Parashara often indicated that there were variant opinions even back then, some arising from "other earlier Rishis (18 in fact if I recall the number correctly)", and sometimes he mentioned the opinions of *other [astrologers]"! &nbsp;:-)

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “Vedic Astrology”