THE TROUBLING QUANDRY OF GEM-O-THERAPY...!

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Rohiniranjan

THE TROUBLING QUANDRY OF GEM-O-THERAPY...!

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri May 30, 2014 11:19 pm

<<CAVEAT: This might seem to some as a provocative post, so I beg the forgiveness of all, particularly if you are a tad emotionally-charged about astrology, and particularly the use of gemstones as remedials. My intention is to share the following observations and thoughts and as far as I know, since we are all adults, I see no harm in sharing these frankly>>

Whether you shrug and drop your shoulders at the mention of gemstones, or you clap excitedly at their very mention, or you skip this post and go to another message of greater interest to you or you are curious and read on, gemstones are here to stay! I mean the usage of gemstone in astro-remedies. If we read books, for example the ancient texts or more modern ones by the Late Yogi, Tantrik, Jyotishi, Shri Harish Johari, for whose knowledge and depth of experiences I am quite an admirer, we come away with a good feeling that hope is near hand and some of it is due to his very nice style of writing. He must have been a good teacher, though I am not sure if he taught! Probably did.

I was not surprised when I began looking into gemstones long ago, having been quite intrigued and drawn to the healing effect of crystals of different kind and associated subject areas in the jyotish realm of gemology, eventually I came upon discordant views and variant views and opinions.

Without naming names which would be impolite and inappropriate since none of these to the best of my knowledge are here but these expressed feelings are not of one or two but many in each group below:

Astro-1: Gemstones work but they must be selected carefully and must be of the right colour, right size, right shape and they must be natural, without inclusions or other imperfections, and MUST NOT be heat treated.

Astro-2: Gemstones only work when they are 'purified', blessed and with certain tantrik rituals come alive (Prana pratishtha as is done for Divine idols when purchased from a vendor, etc).

Astro-3: Stones must not be worn haphazardly and only work with certain metals (for rings, bracelets, lockets etc) and when worn on certain fingers (rings) of the correct hand, must not be worn with certain other gemstones/must be worn as a team with other gemstones depending on the chart.

Astro-4: Rubbish! Natural gemstones can never be 100% pure and will have inclusions sometimes microscopic, and the fewer the inclusions there is a logarithmic increase in their cost! Only lab-grown gemstones can be ultra-pure and only those have the correct lattice-arrangement having been grown in controlled conditions, not possible in nature, and due to shorter harvesting time, cost much less. Cost has nothing to do with efficacy of a gemstone while PURITY does. It is so logical!

Astro-4: Gemstones from only certain mines/countries work, others are simply dazzling ornamental stones! Also, gemstones should only be worn for weak malefics and weak benefics!

Astro-5: He told you the wrong size and the wrong stone. You need pearls and not diamond and TAKE OFF THAT GOMEDAK NOW!! Even if shani is dire malefic, its dasa and sade-sati are operating, so NEELAM is the only hope for you!

Astro-6: They are living in a fool's paradise! Do they think they can dodge karma just by wearing jewellry? No shastra recommends wearing of gemstones. Kings and rich people used to give gems in dana to brahmins and temples. That may work better than wearing it! But it is not so easy to dodge karma!

Astro-7:
Astro-8,9, 10 -- etc.etc...

On internet forums, it is readily visible that different jyotishis looking at the same chart, recommend different gemstones for the same problem! Who is right, who is not, how is the nativity to know?

Nativity 1 (asking): I wonder why amuk guruji prescribed a moonga but did not give any reasons. Please can someone tell me the reason? {Why can he not ask the astrologer who prescribed? Why did he not ask when it was prescribed??}

And the munde munde mati bhinna keeps doing its Ta, Tha, Dhinna...! {Mercury, go sit in a corner! This is a serious sharing!!}

At the risk of sounding a bit ostentatious, may I share a personal experience which I published on boloji.com the eclectic web-magazine on Indian Culture, modern and ancient?

http://www.boloji.com/index.cfm?md=Cont ... cleID=1076

More recently (well past several years) there has been a rise in chromatherapy and people have with the rise of Yuppy New Age cultures gotten attracted by light and mind machines, biofeedback driven software games, pure spectrum bulbs, pure chromatherapy (exposure to different coloured lights) and those plus the associated use of different crystals. Whether placebo or not, initial response seems to be rather marked (most new things and new changes in routine do) and some insist that the placebo effect is not a sign of gullibility but is a real short-lasting effect sometimes detected by clinical signs and symptoms and measurable change in biochemical parameters etc. And behavioral, of course!

Astro 11: Crystals and gemstones work as filters of sunlight and hence can be mimicked by pure spectrum lights (pure filters in Ganzfeld goggles are way cheaper than gemstones!)

Nativity 2: HECK! For five years I have been following this gemstone, light therapy and other things. My chronic back pain is not going away. I have no money left and at my job they make fun of me. My wife has left me with the kids. I think the planets want me to quit this nonsensical world and I will join some ashram or go to Himalayas! Har Har Mahadev!

My heart-felt sympathies for the astrologers and more so for the nativities! Perhaps penance is the answer! Strict fasting, bringing austerity into life, charitable work, volunteering for good causes, etc etc.

Pardon me for the long-winded sharing... :-(

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:20 pm

Dada and Others,

Gemstones in Astrology are gaining popularity & ground due to their supposed healing capacities.

I feel they are overhyped like certain yogas in astrology; but that is what the true Earmings are in.
One will notice that the prices of remedy gemstones have been increasing very sharply.

Every metal/gemstone does have a healing effect on the body of a person; it helps certain health areas like Red Coral is good for Piles etc.
Gemstones also cools/heats the mind/body depending upon the gemstone; they do have some healing effect on the mind too.... but it is gaining importance as a 'miracle' thing.

Gemstones certainly cannot twist or trick Karma is my belief. Even Gods (in Hindu mythology) couldnt.

Could they??

Rishi

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:35 pm

RishiRahul wrote:Dada and Others,

Gemstones in Astrology are gaining popularity & ground due to their supposed healing capacities.

I feel they are overhyped like certain yogas in astrology; but that is what the true Earmings are in.
One will notice that the prices of remedy gemstones have been increasing very sharply.

Every metal/gemstone does have a healing effect on the body of a person; it helps certain health areas like Red Coral is good for Piles etc.
Gemstones also cools/heats the mind/body depending upon the gemstone; they do have some healing effect on the mind too.... but it is gaining importance as a 'miracle' thing.

Gemstones certainly cannot twist or trick Karma is my belief. Even Gods (in Hindu mythology) couldnt.

Could they??

Rishi
Well if *Earnings* and **quick-get-rich** is what one is attracted to, then they are wasting their ?Talents? and time (in pursuing astrology). They should be selling snake-oil instead or siyaar singhi and so on so forth. Gods can't and perhaps GOD won't but the human being CAN! That is the beauty of it, if one thinks really hard and seriously AND sincerely! ;-)

But, let us two tired soldiers have some tea while we mull over quietly so that other members can participate, that is, if they are still around and awake...?

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “Vedic Astrology”