Understanding Astrological Terms in Modern Parlance

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Vinay Jha

Understanding Astrological Terms in Modern Parlance

Post by Vinay Jha » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:14 pm

Namaste All :

Someone said recently : "Saturn is the Karaka of depression. Now I beg to raise another question: In astrology what is KARAKA for HYPERTENSION ?"

There are many planets and houses related with mental Sukha or Dukha, and it is wrong to reduce the complex multifactorial phenomena to over-simplification. Jupiter is kaaraka of Sukha, Saturn is Kaaraka of Dukha, Moon rules over Mind, Sun rules over the Self (generally Ego), 4th house denotes Sukha or its lack, D-4 denotes real happiness which is real Bhaagya, etc.

Secondly, "depression" and "hypertension" are not astrological terms. Scientism (cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism) is a common disease of modern society which afflicts many astrologers too. Many reputed "scientists" (who have never contributed anything in the field of real science excepting churning out unproven philosiphies in science) are also plagued by this disease. No real scientist, like Einstein or Newton, ever made such exorbitant claims about the scope of science. The field of modern science has been best described by Positivism, which stresses that the purpose of science is to study and explain those facts which can be positively attested either through sense organs or through instruments which enhance the powers of sense organs. Things like soul, God, etc can never be proved or disproved through the methods of modern science because they are beyond the scope of sense organs, but they can be EXPERIENCED with as much, if not more, genuineness and intimacy as the objects of external world are experienced by sense organs, provided we follow the path prescribed for proper spiritual experience. Religion is not a worship of non-existent or dead things, it is direct and personal encounter with Subjective Reality. Modern science is comprehension of Objective Reality. In the field of Vedic Astrology, Scientism tries to wean away Astrology from its Mother which is Vedic Philosophy. Vedic Jyotisha is an inseparable limb of Veda. Objective world can also be apprehended through Vedic disciplines, but their methods are different from those used in modern science, and those methods need to be acquired through proper training. I have already explained these differences in the case of rain forecasting.

Now, take the case of medical science. Blood pressure, hypertension, etc are serious diseases in medical science. Jyotisha and Ayurveda do not recognize high or low "pressure" of blood as a disease in itself. My mother was a doctor and a teacher in govt medical college, and when I was a middle school student I used to test my blood pressure with the instrument in my home and I was happy that my blood pressure was always normal. Yet there were periods of high stress owing to different reasons which I could not understand till I learnt astrology. Long after, in 1998 I tested my blood pressure and found it to be high. But I had lost faith in the philosophy of modern medical science, and decided never to test my blood pressure again, and continued with my vratas, praanaayaamna, asanas, etc, and during past 16 years I have never been afflicted with any ailment or stress, in spite of many serious attempts on my life and property by many mafia gangs who were threatened with my legal actions against them. It does not mean that modern medicines or surgical methods are wrong ; they are not wrong and they actually help patients. But the underlying philosophy is wrong, which studies only the external symptoms of diseases and fails to unravel the root causes. For instance, how does medical science define "Fever" ? Rise in temperature ? But rise in temperature is a symptom and not a cause of fever. Recent researches have brought to the fore many different factors behind fever and therefore it is wrong to define "fever" as a disease, it needs to be defined as a symptom common to many different diseases , and this symptom is rise in temperature caused by various underlying diseases. Where is the bio-thermostat which regulates body temperature and how does it malfunction ? Unless we understand the structure and mechanism of this bio-thermostat, we cannot say that our "scientific" methods of treatment of fever are really scientific and not merely hit-and-trial blind search by means of applying various chemicals on human guinea pigs resulting into many known and unknown side effects. Too much reliance on modern science is a superstition of modern age, afflicting many astrologers too. It is very very difficult to cure this disease of Scientism in a grown up person.

In an astrological forum, we must fight against attempts to re-define the basic philosophy of astrology. When someone comes to me complaining of medical reports of high blood pressure or microbes in urine, I ask him not to show me medical reports which are useless to me, and I ask him to tell me the real Kashta experienced by the patient. One of my students is doing PhD in Jyotisha on Cancer, he took my help in writing the synopsis. I told him that uncontrolled malignant growth of cells is defined as Cancer in medical science, and this definition is of no help in astrology. Cancer does not always result into a tumour. There is no universal astrological factor which can be associated with all types of cancer. Actually, Cancer is not a disease but a class of diseases, which are defined and treated in medical science in one way, and in astrology in a different way. If the philosophy of medical science used in defining and treating diseases are imposed on astrology, astrology will get deformed. Attempts to make Vedic Astrology more "scientific" are actually made by those persons who have little interest in and respect for original classics of Vedic Jyotisha.

Translation of English terms into Sanskrit and vice versa sometimes creates confusions. It is better to try to learn the key concepts and definitions of Vedic Jyotisha in original Sanskrit. Medical characteristics defining Depression or Hypertension or Low Blood Pressure will misguide us while applying on the physical conditions of a Yogi in samadhi.

The same person said : "Yoga/meditation (5th house) helps in depression as well as hyper-tension."

5H is not for meditation. It is for mantra, knowledge, study, intelligence, offsprings, &c. Yoga is not merely meditation (dhyaana). Meditation is the 7th stage of Yoga, and 99.9% of persons practicing meditation have never tried the previous six stages of Yoga, and therefore are unfit for meditation. I am practicing Yoga since 1971-2 and I know meditation cannot be reduced to a single horoscopic house. Yogic meditation comes gradually through a control over mind, which is easier for those who have helpful planets aspecting or conjoining Lagna, Moon, etc. Yogic meditation is possible only after giving up of all worldly desires. Without controlling the mind, we cannot meditate, and without controlling desires we cannot control the mind. Which horoscopic house or planet is associated with "desire" ? Again, we face the danger of over-simplifying multi-factorial phenomena into simplistic notions which will destroy astrology.

VJ
Install JHora and set  'Preferences' >'Related to Calculations' >'Set Calcualation Options as recommended by Vinay Jha' for using Suryasiddhanta. OR
Download Kundalee: http://vedicastrology.wikidot.com/software-download

Vinay Jha

Post by Vinay Jha » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Today I was told by two astrologers that Rahu is the Kaaraka (significator) of Depression. Here is what I sent  to them :

I never experienced either hyper or hypo tension during Rahu's periods or sub-periods, although it sits in 12H and should give me hypertension according to you during its periods and sub-periods !

When Rahu's MD was running, I faced three fatal accidents and frequent fevers in my childhood, but never hypertension during MD or later ADs of Rahu.

After Rahu's MD ended, I had again three attempts at my life (three bullets fired by a criminal who had been caught by my friends for being handed over to police) during Rahu's AD under Jup's MD, but during Rahu's AD under Saturn's MD I can only say that it was the best period in my life and during those three years I did not experience even a slightest mishap or tension of any sort.

VJ
Install JHora and set  'Preferences' >'Related to Calculations' >'Set Calcualation Options as recommended by Vinay Jha' for using Suryasiddhanta. OR

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Good to see Vinay ji back with a Bang.!!!

RishiRahul
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:21 pm

RishiRahul wrote:Good to see Vinay ji back with a Bang.!!!

RishiRahul
HEHE! Our private prayers have been answered! ;-)

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Vinay ji,

You are a well-read man so I am sure you are aware of the story about the Pir, Bawarchi, Bhishti, Khar?
Astrology or your TEN-LETTER version of that term has become plagued with the lower vibrations of that story, it seems! <LOL>
In three months of cursory web or similar learning, the *brilliant* minds (?) of today manage to learn jyotish and pass out judgments on scriptures (including distorting their meanings!) and if I have seen it once, I have seen it umpteen number of times a rather interesting cyber-miracle!

"Abracadabra" (handle of a ^new^ member!) posts a message on a astrology board, "Oh Gurujis, please someone read my horrorscope. TELL me when I go abroad?"
No one answers, and another message from Abracadabra arrives: "When will I get a job and will my beloved be mine?"
Astrologers, either busy or having become wiser (on the web) still remain silent!

Two days later, Abracadabra arrives again and begins giving out astrological readings to other seekers!

ONLY in modern times can such a miracle be observed, right? HALLELUJAH!!

But, although they glibly say, 'whats in a name!', I personally possibly got the alert from the internet-handle which was, "abracadabra"!
I was right! I have seen this *miracle* many times! <LOL>
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Vinay Jha

Post by Vinay Jha » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:53 pm

I found such a member today in a group (JR), where a member was asking for help in getting a job just three days ago, and then quickly became such a great expert in not only Jyotisha but in History and Nuclear Physics also that he started teaching me to study Parashara and Varahamihira who knew how to deduce astrological results from "gravitational and weak forces of physics". That fellow had forgotten that Weak and Strong (nuclear) forces were discovered in 20th century. He is now abusing astrology practiced by all astrologers as a pseudo-science, and says Parashara and Varahamihira &nbsp;were real astrologers because they were experts in physics.

Internet University makes anyone a genius overnight in any discipline, not only in astrology.

VJ

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:03 pm

Vinay Jha wrote:I found such a member today in a group (JR), where a member was asking for help in getting a job just three days ago, and then quickly became such a great expert in not only Jyotisha but in History and Nuclear Physics also that he started teaching me to study Parashara and Varahamihira who knew how to deduce astrological results from "gravitational and weak forces of physics". That fellow had forgotten that Weak and Strong (nuclear) forces were discovered in 20th century. He is now abusing astrology practiced by all astrologers as a pseudo-science, and says Parashara and Varahamihira  were real astrologers because they were experts in physics.

Internet University makes anyone a genius overnight in any discipline, not only in astrology.

VJ
Hmm.. I missed that 'episode' entirely!
Now I am feeling jealous of you, a tiny bit! &nbsp;NOT!!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:37 am

Rohiniranjan wrote:Vinay ji,

You are a well-read man so I am sure you are aware of the story about the Pir, Bawarchi, Bhishti, Khar?
Astrology or your TEN-LETTER version of that term has become plagued with the lower vibrations of that story, it seems! <LOL>
In three months of cursory web or similar learning, the *brilliant* minds (?) of today manage to learn jyotish and pass out judgments on scriptures (including distorting their meanings!) and if I have seen it once, I have seen it umpteen number of times a rather interesting cyber-miracle!

"Abracadabra" (handle of a ^new^ member!) posts a message on a astrology board, "Oh Gurujis, please someone read my horrorscope. TELL me when I go abroad?"
No one answers, and another message from Abracadabra arrives: "When will I get a job and will my beloved be mine?"
Astrologers, either busy or having become wiser (on the web) still remain silent!

Two days later, Abracadabra arrives again and begins giving out astrological readings to other seekers!

ONLY in modern times can such a miracle be observed, right? HALLELUJAH!!

But, although they glibly say, 'whats in a name!', I personally possibly got the alert from the internet-handle which was, "abracadabra"!
I was right! I have seen this *miracle* many times! <LOL>

on continue...

The current status of sincere and serious jyotish on the NET:

"...

hello guys im in my rahu/rahu dasha. what can i expect from it?

would i be finally met her ? the foriegn women whom i envisioned in my dreams and fantasies

how long would saturn make me wait to met her &nbsp;i hope its not at the age of 30+ since its sitting in its own sign and fifth house which kinda explains why i haven't had any relationship since birth.

my obsession from learning jyotish astrology also started from this dasha which was 2 months ago

its kinda weird for some reason because it didnt feel like im experiencing the placement of rahu in the 4th house "

:smt017
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “Vedic Astrology”