Convergence...?

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Rohiniranjan

Convergence...?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:42 am

For the past few years, since I retired from my scientific career (the deliverer of shelter, bread and butter) of nearly four decades, I have been delving deeper and wider into my other love in life, occultism which too had stayed close to my heart for several years longer than that, side by side with nary a conflict within my soul. Astrology and divination in general had always been of primary interest to me in the area of occultism that I have been fortunate to be permitted in this lifetime through a rather unique mélange of opportunities, and a good sense of carpe diem that has never left my side as well.

Post-retirement period brings an opportunity to be more reflective than earlier in many and such has been the case with me too. True to earlier pattern, the directives came from within and so too the opportunities and leads to pursue areas of interest.

I often reflect, as in earlier decades of the divide that has consumed many on the parallel but diverse paths known as tropical astrology and sidereal astrology, primarily divided by two zodiacs that cohabitate in the same celestial cosmic circle! Polarities are often fiercely defended by the separate camps, like siblings separated! And, indeed both possess many unique differences that are confusing to the beginner for whom astrology is astrology is astrology!

Interestingly enough, retrogression of planets, an illusory phenomenon caused by our earthly vantage in the cosmos has been of great interest to many. Both tropical and sidereal (including Jyotish which is the indian sidereal system of astrology) use retrogression rather heavily, yet astrologers of the two different cloths or shall we say generae perhaps think of those as different within their cloistered groups!

But, if one were to think for a long and deep moment (or ten!), leaving aside the trans-saturnine planets which Jyotish does not include in its framework, the basic attributes of the planets are rather similar between the two frameworks (venus for love/beauty, mars for action, Jupiter for wisdom, mercury for communication, Saturn for misery, just to use a few salient keywords attributed to the building blocks of astrology). Furthermore, irrespective of the different zodiacs the phenomenon of retrogression is identical as utilized by the two systems, even right down to the moment of their occurrence and reversal back to the direct motion.

Yet the insistence amongst the relative minority (astrologers of all kinds bundled into one single group) amongst the overwhelmingly large population of human beings the billions and ever growing larger to the dismay of demographers and planners and distributors of resources, the economists, politicians, policy makers etc -- to treat retrogression as something different in the sub-minorities within the minority (astrologers!)?

Love and Light and Reality?

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Re: Convergence...?

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:19 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:For the past few years, since I retired from my scientific career (the deliverer of shelter, bread and butter) of nearly four decades, I have been delving deeper and wider into my other love in life, occultism which too had stayed close to my heart for several years longer than that, side by side with nary a conflict within my soul. Astrology and divination in general had always been of primary interest to me in the area of occultism that I have been fortunate to be permitted in this lifetime through a rather unique mélange of opportunities, and a good sense of carpe diem that has never left my side as well.

Post-retirement period brings an opportunity to be more reflective than earlier in many and such has been the case with me too. True to earlier pattern, the directives came from within and so too the opportunities and leads to pursue areas of interest.

I often reflect, as in earlier decades of the divide that has consumed many on the parallel but diverse paths known as tropical astrology and sidereal astrology, primarily divided by two zodiacs that cohabitate in the same celestial cosmic circle! Polarities are often fiercely defended by the separate camps, like siblings separated! And, indeed both possess many unique differences that are confusing to the beginner for whom astrology is astrology is astrology!

Interestingly enough, retrogression of planets, an illusory phenomenon caused by our earthly vantage in the cosmos has been of great interest to many. Both tropical and sidereal (including Jyotish which is the indian sidereal system of astrology) use retrogression rather heavily, yet astrologers of the two different cloths or shall we say generae perhaps think of those as different within their cloistered groups!

But, if one were to think for a long and deep moment (or ten!), leaving aside the trans-saturnine planets which Jyotish does not include in its framework, the basic attributes of the planets are rather similar between the two frameworks (venus for love/beauty, mars for action, Jupiter for wisdom, mercury for communication, Saturn for misery, just to use a few salient keywords attributed to the building blocks of astrology). Furthermore, irrespective of the different zodiacs the phenomenon of retrogression is identical as utilized by the two systems, even right down to the moment of their occurrence and reversal back to the direct motion.

Yet the insistence amongst the relative minority (astrologers of all kinds bundled into one single group) amongst the overwhelmingly large population of human beings the billions and ever growing larger to the dismay of demographers and planners and distributors of resources, the economists, politicians, policy makers etc -- to treat retrogression as something different in the sub-minorities within the minority (astrologers!)?

Rohiniranjan
Dear Dada,

A very nice book on retrogression is 'Retrograde planets' by Grace Inglis, which covers the Eastern & Western application of it.

Rishi

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:10 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:For the past few years, since I retired from my scientific career (the deliverer of shelter, bread and butter) of nearly four decades, I have been delving deeper and wider into my other love in life, occultism which too had stayed close to my heart for several years longer than that, side by side with nary a conflict within my soul. Astrology and divination in general had always been of primary interest to me in the area of occultism that I have been fortunate to be permitted in this lifetime through a rather unique mélange of opportunities, and a good sense of carpe diem that has never left my side as well.

Rohiniranjan
Dear Dada,

A very nice book on retrogression is 'Retrograde planets' by Grace Inglis, which covers the Eastern & Western application of it.

Rishi
Speaking of books, Koparkar is more educational!
I know the message (seed) was long, but the point was about: "Why the different interpretations when the phenomenon is one?" ;-)

Ergo, convergence was utilized as the title!

And, if interpretations (with or without observational-empirical corroborations, partially or fully disclosed!) ruled supreme then much that has been written over the past hundreds of years can be safely trashed and put in the garbage dump or kabadikhana?

We know that is probably not the case! At least I hope not!!

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:22 pm

RishiRahul wrote: ...
Dear Dada,

Rishi
BTW, thanks for ringing some bells with me! ;-)
Reminded me of some interesting but "so typical" past thread here where this book was mentioned earlier and some rather interesting dialogues in that thread, and certain interesting issues!!  :smt020

http://mysticboard.org/ve ... sc&start=0

It is not about the numbers or size, but like the real estate agents claim (as must horoscopists!): Location, location, location!!

Happy April Fool's Day!

Dada
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:

Rohiniranjan
Dear Dada,

Rishi
Speaking of books, Koparkar is more educational!
I know the message (seed) was long, but the point was about: "Why the different interpretations when the phenomenon is one?" ;-)

Ergo, convergence was utilized as the title!

And, if interpretations (with or without observational-empirical corroborations, partially or fully disclosed!) ruled supreme then much that has been written over the past hundreds of years can be safely trashed and put in the garbage dump or kabadikhana?

We know that is probably not the case! At least I hope not!!

Rohiniranjan
A list of good books on retrogession
http://69.94.21.151/retro.html.

Well, certain stuff from the book of grace Inglis really works, like natures of retrograde planets, particularly Venus for men and mars for women.

Rishi
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Well, certain stuff from the book of grace Inglis really works, like natures of retrograde planets, particularly Venus for men and mars for women.

Rishi
I would imagine!
Still does not address the main (only?) point raised in this thread.
BTW, did you enjoy the 'stroll down the memory lane' from 2010s?  :smt004

Where is Govardhan these days and those other participants...? Oh well, maybe someday they will retrograde back here!!

Happy April Fool's Day!

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:

Rishi
I would imagine!
Still does not address the main (only?) point raised in this thread.
BTW, did you enjoy the 'stroll down the memory lane' from 2010s?  :smt004

Where is Govardhan these days and those other participants...? Oh well, maybe someday they will retrograde back here!!

Happy April Fool's Day!

Rohiniranjan

Dada,
Just like every astrologer has his own perspective in predictions, every writer on retrogrades has their own explanations.

If the link above did not work then the below link can be pasted in the address bar.
http://69.94.21.151/retro.html

I did not understand the scroll down memory lane from 2010s. & lets hope Govardhan ji retrogrades back with the others.

Happy April Fools Day!

Rishi
RishiRahul.com

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:12 pm

Dada,
Just like every astrologer has his own perspective in predictions, every writer on retrogrades has their own explanations.

If the link above did not work then the below link can be pasted in the address bar.

I did not understand the scroll down memory lane from 2010s. & lets hope Govardhan ji retrogrades back with the others.

Happy April Fools Day!

Rishi
Aha! Now you are getting warm! ;-)
So, if astrology is so individually diverse in its perceptions and interpretations, then what would be the point behind the tonnes and tonnes of books that have been written since Mandhaata's times? ;-)

However, we know that not to be the case and essentially a no-starter! Meaning, none of us could have ever begun learning and then practising astrology had there been no books like BPHS, US, VS, VJ, etc.? Most follow-up books were essentially rehashed to a large extent from the original writings, though not entirely so!

The memory lane thing was a reference to the 2010 thread where Govardhan had mentioned about Grace's book that you mentioned today on this thread ;-)

Still, it is puzzling as to why retrogression should remain so binary as seen these days in the modern divisive times!

Happy April Fool's day! (Amazing that April Fool's Day should become the centrepoint between the Tropical and Sidereal Solar Ingress into its Exaltation Sign! <LOL>)

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Votive

Post by Votive » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:06 am

It is also interesting that this dialogue seeking 'convergence' comes when Saturn has just slipped in retrogression and Jupiter is poised to go stationary as it readies to become direct. Guru and Shani seated in the trikona with Sun. The Nodes bisecting with two eclipses during this period when both Saturn and Guru are in near perfect trines with the Sun. The Solar eclipse belonging to a young Saros Cycle while the Lunar to a more mature one.

Is the fuzziness only in perceptions flowing over time?
Does intution get sharpened or dulled?

As you yourself comment, we need more of Clarity, Ranjanda.

An interesting event for me was that I was spending some time with some of Sadguru Jaggi Vasudev's disciples and thoughts and I was to undergo a diksha when a viral flu caught me maing me miss the event. Earlier, I have often observed that I miss out on structuralised formal learning and rarely have had formal Gurus in most fields of life. Some teachers from whom I have learnt informally a lot are, of course, reluctant to be called so. But I have digressed.

To add to confusion, to me, retrogressional impact probably should be assesed in two distinct parts. One, the graha which is just going into/coming out of retrogression, in fact, more stationary than ''appearing'' to be travelling backwards and two, the deep retrogression. To illustrate, Ju in Fifth and Ninth to Sun and Ju in sixth, seventh and eighth to Sun.

Votive

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:46 am

Cosmos has so many clocks in its bag of tricks, Votive; one can spend lifetimes looking for The illusive TIME in each piece of this Timepiece! We focus on a crystallized fragment of time, the iceberg of some epoch (birth, initiation, udghaatan, swearing ceremonies, even exit-epoch in the paper and silicon labs of astro-reincarnational researchers) and as the iceberg melts over *time* the potential becomes manifest and essentially all we have done is sensing the presence of this illusive entity known as Time without really pinning it down, all the time. It runs fast when we are embracing joy, but slows down when we are not! A string of digital NOWs that many see as an analogue flow, like the still frames of a movie film strip, which when illuminated and properly engaged and projected turn the still-frames into a moving image for all to see.

A key factor that I keep arriving at has to do with proximity, and not so much motion or relative movements -- that underlies this curious phenomenon that some see as divergent (and indeed many fight tooth and nail to keep it so in the name of many excuses riddled with polemics and hyperbole under the excuses of purity, sacredness, puritanism) whereas, really at a physical level, large as distances might be, it is about convergence?

Perhaps what is illusive is neither Time, nor movement, but the linkage between the two? That Hand which causes both: Flow of time and the synchronous movement of the hands or digits of the clock. As below (timepiece) so above (the hands of the cosmic clock just outside where currently life is! And I do not mean city, state or even nation! ;-)

Paths are many, none really high or low and may vary for each individual. But there is only one right path, perhaps. I would rather wait and let nature show me the way. The strategy has never failed me so far as long as I can remember! Persistence of vision is the attribute that technologists-scientists exploited to create the illusion of analogue motion through a strobe of motionless moments, and yet strangely this persistence of vision/attention that leads to the movie we are engaged in, when focused on a given frame too leads to movement as the power of now (moment) unfolds and sprouts and blossoms.

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:43 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:
Dada,

Happy April Fools Day!

Rishi
So, if astrology is so individually diverse in its perceptions and interpretations, then what would be the point behind the tonnes and tonnes of books that have been written since Mandhaata's times? ;-)

However, we know that not to be the case and essentially a no-starter! Meaning, none of us could have ever begun learning and then practising astrology had there been no books like BPHS, US, VS, VJ, etc.? Most follow-up books were essentially rehashed to a large extent from the original writings, though not entirely so!

The memory lane thing was a reference to the 2010 thread where Govardhan had mentioned about Grace's book that you mentioned today on this thread ;-)

Still, it is puzzling as to why retrogression should remain so binary as seen these days in the modern divisive times!

Happy April Fool's day! (Amazing that April Fool's Day should become the centrepoint between the Tropical and Sidereal Solar Ingress into its Exaltation Sign! <LOL>)

Rohiniranjan

Dada,

Books are always the source of knowledge... from where one starts.

Actually one should treat the main books like BPHS as the base/crux.
The other books following should be more like opinions, from where the learner has to choose the truth after experimenting; rather which fits him/her better.

I always have seen that these old time books havig the real truth in them; which may not be in easy to understand/well explained bottles.

Oh! I had read the Grace book long back before joining MB; maybe in the late eighties/early nineties.

I didnt understand the binary bit :smt017

Rishi

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:59 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
Dada,

Happy April Fools Day!

Rishi

Rohiniranjan

Dada,

The other books following should be more like opinions, from where the learner has to choose the truth after experimenting; rather which fits him/her better.

I always have seen that these old time books havig the real truth in them; which may not be in easy to understand/well explained bottles.

Oh! I had read the Grace book long back before joining MB; maybe in the late eighties/early nineties.

Rishi
Well, BPHS also can be seen as a book of opinions of others. Parashara often refers to 'others' 'other astrologers', 'earlier or other sages', etc.

Sorry, I have tried but it is hard to treat jyotish texts as religious scriptures. Not that I am criticising others who must treat those that way, and jyotish as a religious undertaking! ;-)

Many recent books can be considered as book of knowledge too, case in point the one by Benham, or the ones by Bh. S. Rao, and quite a few others.

Astrology is a simple subject generally speaking, Rishi! What makes or has made it *seem* difficult and Hlory Glory is because it has had pieces removed from it. It then becomes like looking at a wall with bricks missing and wondering if there used to be a picture there on the missing bricks or the rest of a picture if part of it survived!

Still, it is not too bad, we do get by, and it certainly is not a slab of swiss cheese! <LOL>

The Tropical and Sidereal was what I implied!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Lest someones imagination is in overdrive these days (Rahu...?) by 'swiss cheese', I was not implying any reference to The widely adored Swiss Ephemeris! <Haha!>
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:38 pm

Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
Dada,

Happy April Fools Day!

Rishi

Rohiniranjan

Dada,

Rishi
Well, BPHS also can be seen as a book of opinions of others. Parashara often refers to 'others' 'other astrologers', 'earlier or other sages', etc.

Sorry, I have tried but it is hard to treat jyotish texts as religious scriptures. Not that I am criticising others who must treat those that way, and jyotish as a religious undertaking! ;-)

Many recent books can be considered as book of knowledge too, case in point the one by Benham, or the ones by Bh. S. Rao, and quite a few others.

Astrology is a simple subject generally speaking, Rishi! What makes or has made it *seem* difficult and Hlory Glory is because it has had pieces removed from it. It then becomes like looking at a wall with bricks missing and wondering if there used to be a picture there on the missing bricks or the rest of a picture if part of it survived!

Still, it is not too bad, we do get by, and it certainly is not a slab of swiss cheese! <LOL>

But isnt attaching Astrology to religious scriptures good marketing?

In the present age of Marketing, everything needs to be marketed, even Astrology.
Now if one attaches astrology with religious scriptures it attracts INTEREST easily.
Fortunately, every science or craft is simple, provided one is able to grasp its logic properly.... Yes, true.

Rishi
RishiRahul.com

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:46 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Rohiniranjan wrote:
Dada,

Happy April Fools Day!

Rishi

Rohiniranjan

Dada,

Rishi

But isnt attaching Astrology to religious scriptures good marketing?

In the present age of Marketing, everything needs to be marketed, even Astrology.
Now if one attaches astrology with religious scriptures it attracts INTEREST easily.
Fortunately, every science or craft is simple, provided one is able to grasp its logic properly.... Yes, true.

Rishi
Ah, so that is what it is...!
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “Vedic Astrology”