Upapada

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

pranavg

Upapada

Post by pranavg » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:14 pm

Namaskar all,

I was wondering why Arudha of 12th house (UL) is considered for marriage and spouse related information?
Why 12th house?

And is UL seen from Rashi chart or Navamsa for spouse and marriage related matter?
I believe it should be Navamsa but then what significance does UL in Rashi chart holds?

Looking forward to your insights.

Thanks and regards,
Pranav

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:40 pm

Pranav,

Namashkaar! From what I reckon, the concept embraces the premise of closeness and 'following'. You might have read that some astrologers treat the 12th house as the seed for upapada, others treat the 2nd house as seed (so pada of 2nd house). In worldly terms, the 2nd represents kutumba or ones family (spouse and kids) so it does 'fit' the role. In many traditional societies, certainly in the recent past the husband was considered as the head of the household). In fact many now consider dara-karka (indicator for wife) a bit out-of-tune with modern families and prefer the term kalatra-karaka which is indicative of spouse without specifying gender. From a spiritual angle, the 12th has been deemed as moksha house (spiritual salvation). Marriage-partner can have a substantial role in that (+ and -).

Back to the concept of following, astronomically, the 12th house rises before the ascendant, while 2nd house always follows the ascendant sign. Does that have something to do with it being a serious contender of upapada-seed, particularly since it is related to ones kutumba or family in life?

Lots of possibilities voiced more in recent times. Scriptures have typically been pithy, terse and even silent on the WHYs and HOWs. As they say, the devil might be in the details...?

Experimenting with charts can be recommended if one has the time, energy, desire to delve in it. Cherry-picked charts in small numbers generally leave one in the pickle  because of the multifactorial nature of practical astrology.

I personally think that padas are best determined in D1 (lagna kundali, kshetra bhava in other words). They may then be studied in finer vargas and regarding the quest in mind, not just in D9 but other Ds as well which have relevance to marriage, family, karma and growth. Marriage is quite a broad influence in most lives.

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

pranavg

Upapada and D-charts

Post by pranavg » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:52 am

Thanks Rohiniranjanji.

So rightly said... Hows and whys need experiments. I totally understand and agree. So let us go by assumption based on the knowledge shared by the learned.
I was reading Narsimhaji's book on integrated approach where he refers to arudha of 12th house as UL. So let us assume UL as arudha for 12th house ignoring the question why for now.

In his examples on marriage, he mentions looking at planets in UL for nature of the spouse etc. but does not mention the D-chart.
In other examples like the ones based on career, vehicles, etc. he mentions looking A10 in D10 or even A4 in D16, A5 in D20 etc. which makes me believe he is referring to D-charts for the matter of interest.

So, logically, I believe UL for determining nature of spouse, troubles in / longevity of marriage etc. should be seen from D9.
Please help me understand if I am missing something.
Rohiniranjan wrote:Pranav,

Namashkaar! From what I reckon, the concept embraces the premise of closeness and 'following'. You might have read that some astrologers treat the 12th house as the seed for upapada, others treat the 2nd house as seed (so pada of 2nd house). In worldly terms, the 2nd represents kutumba or ones family (spouse and kids) so it does 'fit' the role. In many traditional societies, certainly in the recent past the husband was considered as the head of the household). In fact many now consider dara-karka (indicator for wife) a bit out-of-tune with modern families and prefer the term kalatra-karaka which is indicative of spouse without specifying gender. From a spiritual angle, the 12th has been deemed as moksha house (spiritual salvation). Marriage-partner can have a substantial role in that (+ and -).

Back to the concept of following, astronomically, the 12th house rises before the ascendant, while 2nd house always follows the ascendant sign. Does that have something to do with it being a serious contender of upapada-seed, particularly since it is related to ones kutumba or family in life?

Lots of possibilities voiced more in recent times. Scriptures have typically been pithy, terse and even silent on the WHYs and HOWs. As they say, the devil might be in the details...?

Experimenting with charts can be recommended if one has the time, energy, desire to delve in it. Cherry-picked charts in small numbers generally leave one in the pickle  because of the multifactorial nature of practical astrology.

I personally think that padas are best determined in D1 (lagna kundali, kshetra bhava in other words). They may then be studied in finer vargas and regarding the quest in mind, not just in D9 but other Ds as well which have relevance to marriage, family, karma and growth. Marriage is quite a broad influence in most lives.

Rohiniranjan

Rohiniranjan

Re: Upapada and D-charts

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:38 am

pranavg wrote:Thanks Rohiniranjanji.

So rightly said... Hows and whys need experiments. I totally understand and agree. So let us go by assumption based on the knowledge shared by the learned.
I was reading Narsimhaji's book on integrated approach where he refers to arudha of 12th house as UL. So let us assume UL as arudha for 12th house ignoring the question why for now.

In his examples on marriage, he mentions looking at planets in UL for nature of the spouse etc. but does not mention the D-chart.
In other examples like the ones based on career, vehicles, etc. he mentions looking A10 in D10 or even A4 in D16, A5 in D20 etc. which makes me believe he is referring to D-charts for the matter of interest.

So, logically, I believe UL for determining nature of spouse, troubles in / longevity of marriage etc. should be seen from D9.
Please help me understand if I am missing something.
Rohiniranjan wrote:Pranav,

Rohiniranjan
possibly. Only Narasimha could tell for sure...?
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “Vedic Astrology”