Tropical or Sidereal

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Spirit Seeker

Tropical or Sidereal

Post by Spirit Seeker » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:05 am

नमश्शिवाय|
Dear friends, before fighting on which Āyanāṃśa to be used, I'd like to understand Tropical zodiac & Sidereal zodiac. Because Āyanāṃśa is defined based on those parameters itself.
I happen to see Vic Dcara's YouTube channel, in that he mentions that there is no wrong in considering Tropical zodiacs & he says that it's not just restricted to seasons. He is showing some verses from Sūrya Siddhānta & also from Bhāgavata Purāṇa. Frankly speaking, I didn't understand what is he speaking. He considers Kṛttika to be the 1st star it seems that Vernal equinox in the Vedic period was in that constellation. Now, it's shifted to Uttarābhādrapada constellation. But finally, I got a doubt that are we strictly suppose to consider that Aśvini to be in Meṣa Rāśi?

Now, I'd like to follow whatever ancient seers have suggested & after understanding that I'd like to question if things aren't clear. Could someone please educate me on what ancient sages have suggested, I've been trying to understand it from so many days.
Last edited by Spirit Seeker on Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rohiniranjan

Re: Tropical or Sidereal

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:30 pm

The tropical zodiac *is* based on seasons, S.S.! The first point of tropical aries coincides with the first day of spring! Tropical zodiac used to be aligned with sidereal zodiac in the days of Ptolemy but due to well known "precession of equinoxes", is out of phase from sidereal by what we call ayanamsha.

As to applicability of tropical zodiac for jyotish, or even chinese zodiac if someone wants to utilize that, and it works in their hands, then who are we to complain...? :-)

Re your other question, which I also got by p.m., (sign vs house etc), I have answered it there. Hopefully, you will get it, even if you have not seen that at this time.

I have generally avoided mixing religious matters with astrology, but as far as I recall, for religious considerations, for rituals such as homa, yagya etc, one does find references to use of Sayana (tropical) zodiac. You would have to seek the advice on that from folks who delve into religious practices which use astronomical references for selecting the auspicious moment for such worship etc.
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “Vedic Astrology”