Cusps...

For western astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

chistateofmind

Cusps...

Post by chistateofmind » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:56 pm

I've read they have been debated. I was born on the 19th of March, the Cusp of Rebirth (cusp astrology); Pisces/Aries. Some of the descriptions were accurate while others were not - I'm not sure what to think of it. Some web sites said that as long as you are any degrees Pisces you're simply a Pisces. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Andrew.

Additionally, my moon is Aries and my Rising is Sagittarius.

virgoanlibra

cusps

Post by virgoanlibra » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:38 pm

i find cusps to be relevant.  i am a virgo, but i always read libra too since  i am born close to the virgo/libra cusp (9/19).  there are so many schools of thought, its very interesting.  some only account for a couple of days to be a true cusp, i've even seen some astrology websites that claim a cusp to be 5 days before and five after.  i like the way they organize the cusps in the secret language of relationships/the secret language of astrology.  i go by the authors' interpretation of them.  :smt003

fire_and_ashez

Post by fire_and_ashez » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:27 pm

I've always wondered about cusps as well. I was born on the gemini/cancer cusp, which I believe is the Cusp of Magic? I feel that I am a true Gemini at heart, because none of the cancer descriptions have ever fit me at all.

I was born on 6/20, in case anyone was wondering.
My moon in also in aries, so kudos for that!
-Ashley

DEMONICA842

I AM A AQUARIUS-PISCES CUSP

Post by DEMONICA842 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:11 am

I PERSONALLY BELIEVE THAT CUSPS ARE RELEVANT. I ALSO BELIEVE THEY ARE ESSENTIAL TO THE ZODIAC.   IT IS THE TRANSITION FROM ONE SIGN TO THE THE SIGN THAT FOLLOWS.  THEREFORE IT IS LOGICAL THAT AN INDIVIDUAL WHO WAS BORN ON A DAY IN WHICH THE SIGNS WERE TRANSITIONING HOLDS CHARACTERISTICS AND TRAITS FROM BOTH SIGNS.  

ANYWAY LOL I AM AN AQUARIUS PISCES CUSP I WAS BORN FEBRUARY 20 1984.  THE THEME FOR MY CUSP IS THE CUSP OF SENSITIVITY.  MY RISING SIGN IS GEMINI AND MY MOON SIGN IS LIBRA.    

I ALSO HAVE READ INTO THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF BIRTHDAYS /RELATIONSHIPS.   I FIND THAT READING ABOUT YOUR SIGN BY YOUR SPECIFIC MONTH AND DAY IS A WHOLE LOT MORE ACCURATE IN LISTING AND DESCRIBING YOUR TRAITS CHARACTERISTICS NEGATIVE ASPECTS AND WELL BASED ON WHAT THE OVERVIEW OF MY DAYS SAYS..... WORD FOR WORD ITS WAS ACCURATE IN BOTH THE RELANTIONSHIP BOOK AND IN THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF BIRTHDAYS.....
VERONICA

smartyknickers

Post by smartyknickers » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:15 pm

I find cusps to be relevant, too.  But the degree to which they manifest varies by the individual.   I've also found that cusps are more influential when the cusp sign is the same as their ascendant.  It seems to temper many of the bad qualities associated with the sun sign; but on the other hand, they inherit some of the cusp sign's bad habits.  For example, I know a couple people who are born on the Pisces/Aries cusp.  Their rising sign is also Aries.  But they are technically a full fledged Pisces (born 1-2 days before the switchover.)   These people are so far from the naive, dreamy, escapist "textbook" specimens of Pisces.  And I am certain it's not just their ascendant doing all the work; I know these people deep down to their core.  They perfectly emulate all the positives of Pisces, with the confidence and intensity of an Aries.   They also tend to be hasty and a bit aggressive, just like an Aries.  It's not just how they come across (Asc. influence) -- it's definitely their inner fire.  

I have seen some even more interesting examples with Leos born on the Virgo cusp, with Virgo rising.  

I'm an Aries, born near the Taurus cusp, and I'd definitely consider myself to be *much* more grounded and docile than the typical Aries.  

But anyway, yes, cusps are important.  Even when the cups doesn't match the Asc.  At the very least, the cusp tempers the intensity of the sun.   If the person is aware, they can totally use this to their advantage to adapt and such.

DEMONICA842

THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT ON THE CUSP TOPIC LOL

Post by DEMONICA842 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:04 am

U SEEM TO BE VERY INSIGHTFUL IN THE CUSP CATEGORY LOL
I'M SURE THAT ONE'S TRAITS MAY BE A LITTLE OVER THE TOP IF YOUR ASC INFLUENCE IS THE SAME AS THEIR SUN SIGN.

I TOO KNOW A PISCES/ARIES CUSP MY SISTER IS ONE OF THOSE AND YES EVERYTHING YOU SAID IS TRUE I HAVE TO AGREE ON THAT ONE LOL U JUST LEFT OUT THAT THEY HAVE A TENDENCY OF ACTING A BIT RIDICULOUS WHEN THEY DONT GET WHEN THEY WANT OR WHEN U HAVE  AN OPINION THAT DIFFERS FROM THEIRS IN OTHER WORDS THEY ARE RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG LOL JK

ANYWAY ... IM TRYING TO LOOK INTO THAT WHOLE DEGREE ASPECT ON MY NATAL CHART.... I CAME ACROSS THIS WEBSITE ITS KIND OF "DIFFERENT" .... LOL THERES JUST NOT MUCH INFORMATION ABOUT CUSPS ANYWHERE . IF THERE IS SOMETHING THAT DESCRIBES THEM ITS SOMETHING VAGUE OR BASIC AND ITS JUST INCONCLUSIVE FOR THE MOST PART.

ANYWAY ... IM A AQUARIUS/PISCES CUSP MY RISING SIGN IS NEITHER OF THE TWO LOL ITS ACTUALLY GEMINI AND MY MOON SIGN IS LIBRA...

QUICK QUESTION WHATS LILITH? LOL IT MIGHT SOUND LIKE A STUPID QUESTION BUT I TRIED LOOKING THAT UP ON THE INTERNET AND I FOUND A FEW LINKS HERE AND THERE BUT IT DIDNT REALLY SAY MUCH AND IT DIDNT' ANSWER MY QUESTION AFTER READING THEM I STILL HAD NO IDEA WHAT LILITH WAS LOL

WOULD U HAPPEN TO KNOW WHAT THAT IS? JUST WONDERING ..... IF U MIGHT HAPPEN TO BE AWARE OF WHAT THAT MEANS LOL[/b]
Check Out What Your Zodiac Cusp Means  for Free!

chross39

Post by chross39 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:32 pm

Hi there,

I was born 2/19 on the cusp of Aquarius/Pisces. I find that I go through phases when I am more Aquarian than Pisces, and vice versa. In any case I believe that overall, I am more Aquarian than Pisces. My mother and sister, (March 1st and 2nd, respectively) are true Pisceans. I'm not quite as intense as they are, but it is there. I truly have my Piscean moments! LOL.

I wish that someone would write a horoscope book and column geared specifically towards those born on the cusp. We are truly unique beings and could use the help. Hey, there are two of us in here! LOL... Well, at least in my case! :smt056
Claudia

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:43 am

I agree with most of what's been said so far, except the idea that if you are just into the sign of Pisces, then you're all Pisces.  Whoever would say such a thing doesn't understand astrology very well.  As one said, the cusp is going to be a mixture of both signs.  BUT, you also have to take into consideration the attributes of the signs, meaning if cadent, suceedant, mutable, fixed, etc., since this will also have a modifying effect.  Also, it is necessary to see where mercury is.  If mercury is also into the next house, you will have more of the next house traits.  If mercury in the house leaving, then more of the previous sign's traits.  As with anything in the chart, it is impossible to make broad sweeping generalizations...the entire chart must be considered to see why someone has more of these traits than another.

astrologer50

Cusps, House systems

Post by astrologer50 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:18 pm

What you seem to be writing about only is the Asc sign cusps. I teach and lecture on Equal House the oldest and most reliable and traditional. Just means that ALL the house cusps are the same degree as the Asc

I know a lot of astrologers who have studied Placidus, Koch and Pandannis which are unequal house systems. Obviously the house system meanings are unilateral thank goodness, but unequal house systems mean just that, your 1st & 7th could be 60degree size and then some planets will simply move house and then a different interpretation ensues.

Hope this helps LOL

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:19 am

That's a good point, astrologer40.  The House system that is used may change the cusp on the Asc.  I don't think Equal House system is the only valid House system, but that's a topic for another thread.

astrologer50

Post by astrologer50 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:28 am

Youdah wrote:That's a good point, astrologer40.  The House system that is used may change the cusp on the Asc.  I don't think Equal House system is the only valid House system, but that's a topic for another thread.
Didnt mean to imply that Equal house was the only valid house system, but that's where i'm coming from. I have persoanlly known lots of people that have studied Placidus and other house sytems, only to finally accept through their own studies that Equal house simply works...... not just my opinion then.

Plus seems very little mention if any is made on this site of alternatives, and I just want people to be aware of the alternative and not get just a one sided viewpoint  :smt003

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:59 pm

Yes, I agree that the House systems (all of them) are rarely mentioned.  I'm sure you're aware of how/why Placidus got top billing for so many decades.  But now, with computers, there is no longer any reason to use only Placidus.  I use Equal House systems for some applications, other House systems for other applications, so I switch and end up using them all at some point or another.  

My only comments about Equal House is the same I would give to Placidus...that there are other House systems available and not be mis-educated to think that there is only one.  To say that this or that House system is used by this or that astrologer, or that this or that House system has many followers from experience is really just a matter of preference, and not an endorsement to use this or that system above all others.  If someone after decades of experimenting, as yourself, has a preference, then I would consider it an educated preference for you...but every serious student of astrology must take the time, as you did, to discover which works best for himself, and  not follow the leader to avoid the effort required to learn about all of them.

mlb4168

Post by mlb4168 » Sat May 30, 2009 5:20 am

Just out of curiosity what is the name for the Sag/Cap cusp. I was born on 12/21 and have always read both scopes. I find that each sign description fits me equally. Although some days I definitely feel like I am one over the other, but it changes from day to day.
NO link in signatures or post.

astrologer50

Post by astrologer50 » Sun May 31, 2009 3:16 pm

mlb4168 wrote:Just out of curiosity what is the name for the Sag/Cap cusp. I was born on 12/21 and have always read both scopes. I find that each sign description fits me equally. Although some days I definitely feel like I am one over the other, but it changes from day to day.
If you go to astro dot com and get a free chart, you will see that the sun changes signs at a given moment in time. The problem being that the majority of people don't know their time of birth or can't be bothered to find out. Your comments suggests you know very little about astrology. You are far far more than just your sun sign. That is just the tip of the iceburg.

How then does an astrologer choose a house system? Well, the individual studying alone is more than likely to use Placidus Houses. The reason for this is simple - he has to consult an ephemeris in any case, and Raphael's Ephemeris is the most widely used, which gives the information needed for Placidus Houses.
Students who study with a recognised school are usually introduced to all of the house systems, but taught to use one far more than the others. This is usually the Equal House system, which incidentally is also the oldest one. In this house system, the twelve divisions are very much like spokes of a wheel, equally spaced at 30 degree intervals, with all houses being the same size. This is the easiest of the House systems to use, as it requires no further calculation. Once the Ascendant is known, one simply divides the rest of the chart using the Ascending degree as a starting point - so if the Ascendant is at 22 degrees Leo, this is take as the cusp of the first house, with the second house beginning at 22 degrees Virgo, the third at 22 degrees Libra and so forth.
The Equal House system is conceptually valid within today's astrological standpoint that every individual is free to become what their birth chart symbolises as their ultimate talent. The Ascendant has been shown to correspond to the way the person automatically approaches their environment - the 'persona' in Jungian terms. This person is therefore likely to approach every field of life in a specific way. A person with an Aquarius Ascendant, for example, will approach money-making and material values (2nd house) in a Pisces manner, will learn (3rd house) in an Aries manner, deal with family (4th house) in a Taurus manner and so forth.

The biggest criticism of the Equal House system concerns the position of the MC, which, using this system is more often than not the cusp of the tenth house (or any house) but rather is found within the 9th, 10th or 11th house.

The MC, being the highest point at birth, symbolises the aims and ambitions one works towards, and, by extension, one's career potential and public image. But these areas are also 10th house matters, devised, because of that house's association with Saturn, to show precisely these areas of life. It is therefore conceptually necessary (so goes the argument) that the MC be the cusp of the 10th house. For this reason, the Equal House system has a limited following outside the UK, although it is still the commonest House system within the UK.
http://www.astrolozy.com/article19.asp
http://www.aquamoonlight.co.uk/systems.html

There are free lessons on here if you wish to study online and I welcome any serious enquiries. :smt006

Anime89

the jury's still out, but..

Post by Anime89 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:08 am

Well I've always been somewhat mixed on my views surrounding cusps. I definitely believe that the flow of the signs is fluid; there are no stark chops in their transitions. I was born on March 26, the Week of the Child, but I have read here and there that I am still 'included' in the Pisces/Aries cusp. I got curious and read some articles regarding the cusp, and have to say that to an extent the descriptions of a person who has trouble balancing artistic sensitivity with brash forwardness ( and a touch of immaturity ..) is somewhat accurate. While I don't "feel" Piscean descriptions the way I do Aries ones, I still can't let go of the fact that I'm not a 'typical' Arian, especially in comparison to April Aries, whom I feel are a stronger representation of the archaetypical Aries. Bottom line is that while I value the cusps and their support of sign transition as fluid, I have to say that the zone of a cusp is probably very narrow (in opposition to astrologers who give it a few days or even a week!), and probably about a day or two's worth from sign to sign.

Return to “Western Astrology”