Why does astrology work?

For western astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

cav1991

Why does astrology work?

Post by cav1991 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:13 am

I am new here and it is late where I am.  Please do not be offended by anything I ask. I am only curious and I believe that this is a good place to get some questions answered. Please know that I am not putting your beliefs into question.  Rather, it seems that there is something here that I am missing....that I don't quite understand, and I would like to understand it.

I have had an astrological chart done for me--in fact, two charts, both at separate times. Both of these charts were very, very inaccurate to me as an individual and did not represent me in the least.  As a result, I have sort of lost my faith in astrology.

After all, when one really thinks about it, astrology doesn't make any sense.  It's as if...when we are born, the stars--millions and billions of lightyears away from us, fill us with this sort of energy that determines who we are for this life. I just don't understand how this would be.

For instance, take the constellation Leo. It kind of just looks like a half ellipse with a little handle on it.  To me, instead of a lion, it just looks like the profile of a mouse...or perhaps an iron.  I know that many, many years ago there were people who looked up into the night sky and saw this particular alignment of stars and decided, out of all the things it could be, it would be a lion. But WHY a lion, and HOW? Where did this come from, and why do people who are born under the sign of Leo have the traits of a lion-fire, passion, drive, extroversion? If it were decided that that constellation were to be a mouse, would these people instead have mouse-like qualities?  

In the same line of thought, isn't astrology based off of the way we perceive the world, instead of the way the world really is?

I know other concepts are true without having to question them--such as the immortality of the soul, the existence of multiple dimensions, reincarnation, life after life, etcetera....I just *know* it, and I have always known it, without having to pull my knowledge from external sources. But I don't have this sort of innate feeling that astrology is likewise a real effect.  It sort of seems that through astrology, we, as human beings, are able to gain a sort of inflated sense of importance about our place in the cosmos, so we have invented this astrology business to help us with finding our identity, when all it is is really just...an invention.

Once again, I'm sorry if I have offended you. No offense was meant.  I just don't understand.

As a side note, I was also a C-section, if that makes any difference.  

But hasn't the axis of the world rotated in the last 13,000 years? I'm a pisces, yes, but wouldn't I really be an aquarius? Why has the rotation of the axis been ignored?

Thank you reading and your responses.

scifigirl

why does astrology work?

Post by scifigirl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:06 am

Hi cav  :)  I thought all your questions were good questions and agree that the constellations look nothing at all like their names. Your right about human too in that we do all want to feel we are more than a cosmic mistake in the universe and believe that we humans were meant to be here. But as I pondered your very questions myself through the years wondering if it was nonsense, I completed my BA in Psychology and through that learning , I was able to see astrology as it should be used and how it truly can help in understanding individuals (Carl Jung was a mystic and student  of Sigmund Freud) and believed that the birth chart can help give a psychologist a glimpse into a patients psyche therefore help with analysis. It kinda helps us to see a person's possible traits before we know the true ones. Also the ASC does travel but that happens through a persons life and can be why they dont fit any sun sign traits . But where you happen to be at the time of your birth is what determines where you fit in and the planet all circle each other in the same manner as they always have since the beginning of time due to gravity ! So where our planet is in the galaxy does not come into play. Also you may not see your traits in yourself based on the placement alone . Other factors such as strength or weakness of planet in house and how it plays off other planet can sometimes cancel or exalt its influence on your personality. But even with all that we also are thinking and free willed beings so even if the birth chart has this high factor determining personality trait based planetary placement during your birth, other factors such as parental and genetic can influence who you turn out to be despite your birth chart ! But it can help as a guide to tendencies . But not to fortune telling. With all that said it is not for me to say whether or not your wrong about astrology or whether it is nothing more than us seeing more there than there is but I do hope I helped you decide for your self whether or not you will choose to keep faith or just give it up altogether But personally I hope you keep learning and asking questions because only those who truly understand astrology are those who dont make more out of it than needs be. = :smt006

Rohiniranjan

Re: why does astrology work?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:20 am

scifigirl wrote:Hi cav  :)  I thought all your questions were good questions and agree that the constellations look nothing at all like their names. Your right about human too in that we do all want to feel we are more than a cosmic mistake in the universe and believe that we humans were meant to be here. But as I pondered your very questions myself through the years wondering if it was nonsense, I completed my BA in Psychology and through that learning , I was able to see astrology as it should be used and how it truly can help in understanding individuals (Carl Jung was a mystic and student  of Sigmund Freud) and believed that the birth chart can help give a psychologist a glimpse into a patients psyche therefore help with analysis. It kinda helps us to see a person's possible traits before we know the true ones. Also the ASC does travel but that happens through a persons life and can be why they dont fit any sun sign traits . But where you happen to be at the time of your birth is what determines where you fit in and the planet all circle each other in the same manner as they always have since the beginning of time due to gravity ! So where our planet is in the galaxy does not come into play. Also you may not see your traits in yourself based on the placement alone . Other factors such as strength or weakness of planet in house and how it plays off other planet can sometimes cancel or exalt its influence on your personality. But even with all that we also are thinking and free willed beings so even if the birth chart has this high factor determining personality trait based planetary placement during your birth, other factors such as parental and genetic can influence who you turn out to be despite your birth chart ! But it can help as a guide to tendencies . But not to fortune telling. With all that said it is not for me to say whether or not your wrong about astrology or whether it is nothing more than us seeing more there than there is but I do hope I helped you decide for your self whether or not you will choose to keep faith or just give it up altogether But personally I hope you keep learning and asking questions because only those who truly understand astrology are those who dont make more out of it than needs be. = :smt006 [/i]

C.G. Jung was not really a *student* of Freud but respected him and Freud did express a wish to take young Karl under his wings to spear-head his project and mission (Please read Memories, Dreams and Reflections, for details etc). Reminded me of some Indian Gurus, religious and astrological!

Many astrophiles, beginners and not such spring-chickens tend to visualize the skies as flat and two-dimensional! The two dimensionality created by our distance from the starry firmament where the 2-dimensional ecliptic belt (which is anything but two-dimensional as it is visualized from our geotopical perspective!) exists!

The so called fixed stars are moving too, ever so slowly to us but perhaps way faster than we are! If one were to visualize those as the 3-dimensional reality that they are in, and some right here on Mystic Board insist that even 3-dimensions are not enough and we must incorporate many more dimensions ;-)

So, no point in getting ham-strung or feeling so, just because someone cannot visualize the constellations as visualized traditionally by the ancients!

All those names and labels: Aries, Taurus ... Aquarius, Pisces, are merely starting points! Hence each of those has so many other sub-labels and keywords attached to those. If baby-steps freeze at the first step, how will the baby once grown up, ever scale the ladder? As we climb, perspectives change and we move from 2-D to 3-D and who knows, even beyond...?

After all, perception defines our reality and if the former never changes or we challenge it, neither will ever our Sense of Reality! In other words, ZERO Growth and a lifetime wasted!!

Love, Light, Reality!

Rohiniranjan (Jyotishi)
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

astrologer50

Post by astrologer50 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Astrology does not reliably predict anything.

Your question is interesting and there is plenty of help on tribes learn astrology is a vast reference library with every topic under the sea astrologically.

Moderator note: Please immediately check your private messaging inbox for a final warning from me about not posting external links (or URLs), as well as your numerous attempts at free advertising of your services on these forums.

EoT

I have NEVER offered any Astrological services whatsoever!!! neither have I used this forum for free advertising, so please get your facts straight. Neither have I received a PM from yourself.

Now while we are on the subject of external links WHY is it ok for YOU to post them and not members????

:smt018
Last edited by astrologer50 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Moirrust

Really Love

Post by Moirrust » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:28 am

Really Love is the most sacred emotions on this globe providing importance and content to every relationship. It is the loving endeavors which imparts the…

astrologer50

Re: Really Love

Post by astrologer50 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:34 am

this is an astrology forum NOT black magic forum!!!!!

Return to “Western Astrology”