Right reading, wrong birthdate?

For western astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:51 am

Talia wrote:Is it true that the sun sign 'horoscope' was only invented in the 1920's?
It has been described in Jyotish texts, but not as a disembodied - stand alone entity (sudarshan).

Modern astro-historians time these writings as 2-3 thousand years in past.

However, most of such books and large bodies of Indian knowledge originated in what was 'oral transmissions' (mouth to ears teaching) much much longer than that time frame, but as you can appreciate even mighty archeologists and carbon-dating diggers are stymied when it comes to imposing a time frame on the spoken words.

Brihat Parashar Hora Shastra the ancient text in Jyotish is essentially a transcript of the heuristic dialogues between Parashara and his disciple and illustrates that oral transmission is not an imaginary tale. And, it exists as a heuristic methodology in not just east Indian but many other ancient societies and cultures.
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Talia

Post by Talia » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:44 pm

It was more the idea of the standalone weekly etc columns in the papers and magazines?

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:30 pm

Talia wrote:It was more the idea of the standalone weekly etc columns in the papers and magazines?
Talia,

I think the evolution of tabloid-solar-centric astrology (very different from Heliocentric spiritual astrological system propounded by Erlewine et alia) was propelled by the same market needs that made TV-dinners popular: Convenience!

Generating full charts and going through a decent analysis, regardless of the system (east, west, whatever) requires full information, calculations, poring over the charts, analysis, synthesis etc. It makes the process rather involved, time consuming and so folks preferred/prefer tabloid astrology where only the birthdate would be needed.

And now we hear about 'ten-minute' astrology too and many shades and flavours of the same. Astrology, after all, is a self-regulated discipline as are nearly all modalities of *divination* and the natural health products sector!

Regulation is not the key, of course. As far as I know the TV-dinners and candies are even more strictly regulated. So, where are we going with this, next...?  :smt012
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Talia

Post by Talia » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:23 pm

Well, of course, then - there is the online softwares that you put in birthdate time etc and out pops your own personal horoscope, lol, oh, haven't we been here before?

What shall we try and discuss next?

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:07 pm

Talia wrote:Well, of course, then - there is the online softwares that you put in birthdate time etc and out pops your own personal horoscope, lol, oh, haven't we been here before?

What shall we try and discuss next?
I asked several IT-type friends for recommendations for a programming language that I could learn (predictive software) and I got as many recommendations as the # of folks I asked!

I might as well have asked several astrologers, instead...!   :smt010
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Talia

Post by Talia » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:29 pm

Isn't Pluto beautiful?

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:01 pm

Talia wrote:Isn't Pluto beautiful?
Not as much as Kepler 452B   :smt004
Rohiniranjan