cannot use my avatar

Having a problem with your computer? Not being able to post? Not being able to register? Let the Mystic Board tech team help you.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

TawnyVale

cannot use my avatar

Post by TawnyVale » Fri May 24, 2013 7:55 pm

I am trying to use a avatar from browse and I am using Irfanview to resize my image.  But I still cannot get it to download on here.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri May 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Hello TV,

I will not insult your intelligence by suggesting that you have not already correctly re-sized your avatar according to the maximum file size and number of horizontal and vertical pixels specified in the control panel.

Just as a matter of interest, can you attach the correctly re-sized avatar to your response to this message, using the Add an Attachment utility under its message body?

If that does not work either then there is clearly something not quite right with your setup.

The file is not located on a network or removable drive? Is it?

If it is please move it to the root directory of your internal C: drive (not in any folders or sub folders), then try again.

Check that it is in the standard Jpeg format, with a .jpg extension in Windows.

Did you create the avatar yourself?

If not, link your profile directly to the URL of the image on the site site where you downloaded it from, at the same time checking that you using it for this purpose does not break any copyright restrictions.

Sometimes you are doing everything exactly as instructed, but simply cannot get it to work.

Then your only viable option is to accept that it was not meant to be, so find another one on the internet which is as close as possible to the original, or try another one instead.

I sincerely hope that your inability to use that particular avatar will not prevent you from enjoying the many benefits of this site, and I will look forward to seeing you on the psychic forum sometime in the future, either with or without an avatar.

Respectfully yours,

EoT :smt006

TawnyVale

Post by TawnyVale » Sun May 26, 2013 3:34 am

You would not be insulting my intelligence with help in learning what I am doing wrong in trying to resize my picture.
I want to learn to do this.  I think I just forgot. I use irfanview and in resizing the options are width and height.  I chose 68X45, which is pretty small and that didn't work.  In using width and height with Irfanview, can you help me?  

I didn't save the orginal picture, and resized it so small I cnt bring it back to show you.  But, I am going to look for another picture.

Thank you for helping me.  Once I get it, I can use the information you share, even if I forget how.

Also, can I use an avatar from the Mystic Boards 'scripts' section?

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:59 am

The Mystic Board avatar gallery no longer exists. But the whole site is due for a major revamp this year, so we may soon have an avatar gallery again.

In the latest version of Irfanview which is 4.36 open your JPG image from the file menu, then go to the image menu, then to the item Resize/Resample.

Windows Keyboard shortcut Control + R

Set the width of your image to a maximum of 100 pixels, and the height to a maximum of 125 pixels.

Be sure that the preserve aspect ratio (proportional) item below it is checked.

This may cause a distorted and unusable image in some cases.

If it does, experiment with that option unchecked.

If the resulting file size is more than 6 K, it still will not work.

Press OK to confirm your changes.

Now go back to the file menu.

Do NOT save the image in the original folder with the same name.

You want to leave the original untouched.

Instead choose "Save As"

Save the modified copy with a different name in a different folder from the original.

Do not modify the image quality. Just press OK to complete the save as.

When you are satisfied that your new avatar meets all the requirements, try to upload it as before.

Let me know if this worked, or if you already worked it out yourself (sorry for the delay).

EoT  Image

Return to “Tech Forum”