what is the difference between self-hynosis and meditation?

Learn and understand about Hypnosis. How it works, how to practice it etc.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

nighthawk

what is the difference between self-hynosis and meditation?

Post by nighthawk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:59 am

Forgive me if this question seems silly. I really don't understand, but want to.
I have seen used the exact same techniques used to put oneself into a meditative relaxed state as for the self hypnosis. And guided meditations seems to me very similar to what a hypnotherapist does. Are they in fact, different? or are these two things only different in the details??

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:58 am

I can only tell the difference how i see it...

Meditation is for me to relax the brain, to introduce a calm state of mind, for then to let the "unconscious mind" sort out "problems", which is easier done, then if my working mind try to control the outcome. :)

Self hypnosis is to try to let the working mind believe something else then what it has focus on....to change thought pattern....after all, it is our control system,  which not always work to our own good :)

nighthawk

Post by nighthawk » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:29 am

Thank you Rhutobello. If I am understanding this correctly then, meditation is like me telling a patient to breathe deep & relax through a painful procedure, and self-hypnosis is like me asking a patient what their favorite color is while I stick in a needle?

is this a possible example of self-hypnosis: When my insomnia is really horrible, I sometimes set my spinning concious mind a task such as naming every animal I know alphabetically. A= arrdvark, ant, antelope...ect... so it will stop spinning and let me sink into sleep?
and meditation for me is deep breathing exercises, body part relaxation, entering my 'sacred mental apace'?

The two things seem so very close to one another, and I am possibly quibbling over exact definitions. However, I am trying to learn the difference so that I can understand both things better.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:12 am

Well....if anything...then our own understanding of the words are always the best....if they do the trick they shall :)

Short...
Meditation = Relaxing of mind
Self-Hypnoses= Changing of own thought pattern

and yes...I use the same trick....when I have something that bother me psychic...I focus my thought on other thing....by that "my pain" become less....even if it is still there....but if not done...the mind might increase the feeling of it....so self hypnosis is also what one might call own mind control.....the way I see it ....and it is not the same as meditation since it is not relaxing of mind.that is in focus:)

nighthawk

Post by nighthawk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:20 am

Thank you again, rhuto. Much simpler when you put it that way!

skp

Self hypnosis and meditation

Post by skp » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:11 pm

Self hypnosis and meditation have different uses since meditation is a state in your mind and body is fully relaxed and you attain a thoughtless state.

Self hypnosis is used for healing and is perfomed by the person himself who wants to be healed. Hypnosis is used to provide affirmations of a positive nature to counter the issues the person is currently facing. For example a person has a stage fright issue. He will use affitmations and visualizations in a deep relaxed state to change this pattern. On routine and constant reaffirming a positive state where he is confident on speaking in front of the public this is deeply iingrained in the subconcious mind and the body will positively react while facing the public and the issue will be sorted out.

Self hypnosis is used to take the person into a deep relaxed state like meditation but after reaching this relaxed state person then uses commands to move to a positive healing state whereas in meditation it is a matter of letting go completely.. Hope this helps..

Return to “Hypnosis”