Hypnosis vs. suggestion

Learn and understand about Hypnosis. How it works, how to practice it etc.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

in_the_blue

Hypnosis vs. suggestion

Post by in_the_blue » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:45 pm

well I wanted to know if anyone knows the differences between hypnosis and suggestion or auto-suggestion?
I mean at a conscious and unconscious level, and effects/causes

in_the_blue

Post by in_the_blue » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:48 pm

oh sorry.. i wanted to say hypnosis vs. suggestion

Dj I.C.U.

Post by Dj I.C.U. » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:51 pm

Yes I can tell you a difference when you're hipnotised your in a trance and when somebody suggest something to you you're awake,in a autosuggestion too.

in_the_blue

Post by in_the_blue » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:14 pm

but which one is more powerful? im talking long term

in_the_blue

Post by in_the_blue » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:56 pm

one of my friends said that even Freud gave up hypnosis because the effects were short -term.. is that true?

saorsa

Two sides of the same coin

Post by saorsa » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:14 am

Hypnosis cannot exist without suggestion. The suggestion, made during hypnosis, bypasses the conscious and is retained in the subconscious where it is acted on later by the conscious (if successful)

Also, Freud did use hypnosis, claiming at the time it was the best means of accessing the subconscious, but he stopped when he was less successful than other hypnotists of his time. Much is attributed to his shyness. During his time, it was thought that a hypnotist had to be a commanding figure. Freud was shy, and even conducted analysis out of the sight of his clients most of the time.

saorsa

Just to clarify

Post by saorsa » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:44 am

Auto suggestion, by definition, is Self Hypnosis, although many also include Affirmations under the Auto Suggestion catagory as well. In that case, self hypnosis is much more "powerful" and typically much faster than affirmations.

zurux

Post by zurux » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:42 pm

hypnosis is suggestion with the help of hypnotic trance to make the patient easier to imagine and sense what the hypnotherapist is suggesting.
Peace brother~~~

obewun

Not all hypnosis is deep trance state

Post by obewun » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:58 pm

Hypnosis works by directly accessing the unconscious reactive memory system whilst in an alpha or theta brain wave state.
Many people are still well aware of the environment around them during trance work but are deeply suggestible because of the way a proficient hypnotherapist has set the seen. Auto-suggestion / auto-hypnosis occurs simply when your understanding of the process allows you to give direct instruction to your reactive memory with some authority.

So in reality there is no difference between so called hypnotic trance states and auto-hypnotic suggestion. They both work.
Most people find a therapist easier to work with.

Return to “Hypnosis”