Give me a Quote!

Humour and games! A laugh a day keeps the doctor away. A little something to waste your time on and relax.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

BlueFox

Hopefully

Post by BlueFox » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:06 pm

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive

BlueFox

The name was writ in water

Post by BlueFox » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:32 pm

Keats travelled to Rome and died there, aged just 25, in February, 1821. He told his friend Joseph Severn that he didn't want his name to appear on his tombstone, but merely this line:

"Here lies one whose name was writ in water."

Severn honoured that wish, as the gravestone shows - Keats is commemorated just as 'A young English poet'.

... This is so lovely  :smt089

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:40 pm

:smt103 Hey, I had not seen this thread, yet. I love quotes!

Since I am unable to read all these pages in one go (though I hope to get them all in time), I do not know whether this quote has already been posted, but it has been my favorite for a long time, so here goes:

"Outside of a book, a dog is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read".

Groucho Marx

"Now that we know how to send man into space, why not send them all?"

Source unknown

"If your dog thinks the world of you, why look for other opinions?"

Source unknown

BlueFox

Let the cat out of the bag

Post by BlueFox » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:08 am

Wellcome Perbid  :) ... Oh, I'm SO HAPPY TO meet another one who likes phrases :smt041  ... by the way ... your's were funny! ... You had dogs ... hmmm ... how about cats and pigs ... :smt025

... let the cat out of the bag ... and avoid buying a pig in a poke!

:smt026

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:06 pm

:smt017 I could swear I had posted something here yesterday, but I must have missed pushing the right submit button or something.

Ok, here they go again:

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your granny"

"We cannot solve problems by using the same thoughts we had when we created them"

"Common sense is no more than a compendium of prejudice established before we turn eighteen"

"We are all pretty ignorant. The thing is not all ignore the same things"

Albert Einstein

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:28 pm

:smt105 This time I think my post made it, what a relief...! Ok, here go some more to your health, BlueFox:

"The only way to win a war is to avoid it"

George Marshall

"The most disadvantageous peace is better than the most fair war"

Erasmo of Rotterdam

"Peace creates wealth; wealth, pride; pride brings war; war, misery; misery, humility; and humility creates peace again"

Geller Von Keysersberg

"There are no ways to peace; peace is the way"

Mahatma Gandhi

"He knows more about pepper who has tried one grain than he who has seen a whole load go by"

Lin Yutang

"Falling is hard, but even worse is never having tried to climb"

Theodore Roosevelt

"Better to honestly fail than to achieve success through fraud"

Sofocles

"Only he who makes no effort is exempt from failure"

Richard Whately

"Some falls are the means to rise into happier situations"

William Shakespeare

BlueFox

Post by BlueFox » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:17 pm

pirbid wrote::smt105 This time I think my post made it, what a relief...! Ok, here go some more to your health, BlueFox:

"The only way to win a war is to avoid it"

George Marshall

"The most disadvantageous peace is better than the most fair war"

Erasmo of Rotterdam

"Peace creates wealth; wealth, pride; pride brings war; war, misery; misery, humility; and humility creates peace again"

Geller Von Keysersberg

"There are no ways to peace; peace is the way"

Mahatma Gandhi

"He knows more about pepper who has tried one grain than he who has seen a whole load go by"

Lin Yutang

"Falling is hard, but even worse is never having tried to climb"

Theodore Roosevelt

"Better to honestly fail than to achieve success through fraud"

Sofocles

"Only he who makes no effort is exempt from failure"

Richard Whately

"Some falls are the means to rise into happier situations"

William Shakespeare
Wau! I'm impressed!  :smt045  ... The Sheakspeare's is definitely the best!
:smt109

BlueFox

Post by BlueFox » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:20 pm

Sometimes silence makes a sound!

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:34 pm

:) Glad you enjoyed those. These are some of my faves, too:

"One never has enough of that which we do not need in order to be happy"
Eric Hoffer

"Initially, people needed products in order to survive. Now products need people in order to survive"
Nicholas Johnson

"If the human mind were simple enough to understand it, then we would all be too simple to understand it"
Emerson Pugh

"You may deceive everybody the whole time if publicity is good enough and the budget is big enough"
Joseph E. Levine

"What is the difference between ethic and non ethic publicity? Non ethic uses falsety to deceive the public. Ethic uses truth to deceive the public"
Vilhjalmur Stefansson

"Of course, we will spend loads on adverts, because we think the product sells itself"
Jim Allchin

"Our job consists on making women unhappy with what they have"
B. Earl Puckett

"Usually, my children refuse to eat anything that hasn't previously danced on tv"
Erma Bombec

These are really curious sentences, more than known phrases, but I find some really poignant  :smt002

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:44 pm

Here are some on that strange social taboo: death.  :smt018

"They all say it is hard to have to die, a strange complaint coming from those who have had to live"
Mark Twain

"For many of us, death is the gate to Hell. But we are on the way out, not on the way in"
George Bernard Shaw

"There have always been death and taxes; however, death doesn't get worse every year"
Anonymous

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"
Ashley Montagu

"Dying is a very sad and somber thing; my advice is: try to have nothing to do with it"
W. Somerset Maugham

"Immortality is the longing of millions of people who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday evening"
Susan Ertz

"One single death is a tragedy. One million deaths is a statistic"
Joseph Stalin

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether He is prepared for the terrible ordeal of meeting me is another thing altogether"
Winston Churchill

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:57 pm

:smt003 I think I will make the most of this lazy Sunday to post as many phrases as I can. Then it will be up to you others to keep me entertained  :smt003

"I wasted time, and now times is wasting me"
William Shakespeare

"A man's maturity is to recover the serenity with which we played when we were children"
Friedrich Nietzsche

"If your sister is in a terrible hurry to go out and leaves so fast you cannot even see her, that is because she is wearing your best shirt"
Pam Brown

"Today's rythm is so accelerated that, unless we learn to predict tomorrow, we won't be able to keep in touch with actuality"
Dean Rusk

"You cannot change the past, but you can spoil the present by worrying about the future"
Lawrence J. Peter

"There are many people who cannot waste time on their own: they are the ban of busy people"
Louis-Gabriel Ambroise Bonald

"Live as if you expected to reach 100, but were ready to die tomorrow"
Marco Tulio Cicero

"If fame only reaches you after death, I am in no hurry to get it"
Marco Aurelio

"Being bored is like kissing death"
Ramón Gómez de la Serna

"Patience is the most heroic of virtues, mainly because it lacks all pretense at heroism"
Giacomo Leopardi

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:05 pm

:smt003 On Secondary Effects

"I firmly believe that, if we could throw all medical material to the bottom of the sea, there would be nothing best for humanity, or worse for the fish"
Oliver Wendell Holmes, USA doctor

"Medicine is the only profession that keeps working to destroy the reason for its existence"
James Bryce, British politician

"Laughter is the only tranquilizer with no secondary effects"
Graffiti

"Medicine cures doubt as much as illness"
Karl Marx

"Acid has three secondary effects: it increases long term memory, decreases short term memory and... can't remember the third"
Timothy Leary, USA psychologist

"The art of medicine consists on distracting the patient while nature cures the illness"
Voltaire

BlueFox

Ad infinitum

Post by BlueFox » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:54 am

Pirbid ... you seem to have phrases for almost everything ... It is like Latins' Ad infinitum (meaning without limit - endlessly).
... I suppose you've been collecting them for a sometime now, haven't you? I'm a teacher, so I use these phrases when missing my own words ... it's like ..

He/she who can, does; he who cannot, teaches ... -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, 1903-

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:29 pm

:) Oh, Bluefox, I am sure you do not take that quote seriously. Where would we all be without teachers?

I love learning and teaching in equal shares, but they still pay me for "doing", so I "do" while I still can. Wish I was given the chance to teach, once I can no longer "do".  :smt002

Btw, I just noticed you are interested in Myth. Would it not be great to have a little subforum or thread on that? I have mostly studied the Greek and Roman Mythology through Art History. What Myths are you interested in? Shall we start a thread on this in the general forum and see what happens? Or is there a more specialized one where it would fit better?

What do you think?  :smt017

ceevee1919

Quotes

Post by ceevee1919 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:19 pm

Love is free or it is not love.

Return to “Humour and Games”