new deck....advice on reading the cards (total newbie)

All Tarot Reading requests should be posted under this forum.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

ec

new deck....advice on reading the cards (total newbie)

Post by ec » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:18 am

Heloo everyone...well father Christmas bought me a deck and so last night after getting to know the cards a little I tried a clock spread with a card for each month of the year to come...I got Rider waite following your advice.

Now, I did one for me and my husband, and it seemed really negative....So I then did one for him and one for me separately, but there seemed to be alot of negitivity in all the readings....is this just part of the cards?...i've noticed that when readers read here on the forum they tend to give advice on tricky situations not simply say...betrayal. a vicious old man, loss etc....... not knowing the cards very well I used the booklet and a book I have and lots of people kept appearing generally with bad intentions...on the whole to be honest it was a little off-putting..... is it a question of interpretation??? Obviously it's very possible that the first half of 2009 will be challenging for us...ok...but it was all a little bleak!!! If not scary!!! so how do you deal with this kind of thing in general....

Also I followed the books instructions and rotated half the deck as shuffling and we got loads of reversed cards..?????
Thankyou in adavance and any of your advice or suggestions will be gratefully considered xxxxx

Xia

Re: new deck....advice on reading the cards (total newbie)

Post by Xia » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:29 pm

ec wrote:Heloo everyone...well father Christmas bought me a deck and so last night after getting to know the cards a little I tried a clock spread with a card for each month of the year to come...I got Rider waite following your advice.
Congratulations :)
Now, I did one for me and my husband, and it seemed really negative....So I then did one for him and one for me separately, but there seemed to be alot of negitivity in all the readings....is this just part of the cards?...
As you say you are only just starting out I would forget about doing complicated readings for two people, the energies of their auras will be mixxed and will confuse the cards , stick to reading for one person at a time for a while. Rarely do two people truly belnd so that the cards can tell the difference.
i've noticed that when readers read here on the forum they tend to give advice on tricky situations not simply say...betrayal. a vicious old man, loss etc....... not knowing the cards very well I used the booklet and a book I have and lots of people kept appearing generally with bad intentions...on the whole to be honest it was a little off-putting..... is it a question of interpretation??? Obviously it's very possible that the first half of 2009 will be challenging for us...ok...but it was all a little bleak!!! If not scary!!! so how do you deal with this kind of thing in general....
Most tarot readers will not, or in fact cannot read accurately for themselves. Learn the cards first don't jump straight in and try and read  otherwise you will get despondent.
Also I followed the books instructions and rotated half the deck as shuffling and we got loads of reversed cards..?????

Oh dear, reversals should only be tackled when you are a more experienced reader confident that you understand the upright meanings and interpretations.

I am sure that 2009 will be a great year for you. After all you have your first tarot deck!!

Do you need any tips about how to learn? I hold tarot workshops for beginners and would love to help you learn.

Xia :o)

ec

Post by ec » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:50 pm

ha ha... seems like i'm really trying to run before I can walk!!! I would love to take your workshops...thankyou xx
ec xxx

Xia

Post by Xia » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Hiyas,

Everyone does it, don't worry, I was the same, my first deck was awful, I even gave up on it a few times oooh! now funnily enough it is rare and a collectors piece so lucky me! Learning should be fun and easy or we won't keep it up. No-one wants to be sent home with lots of memorising and to be honest that way doesn't work very well at all. You need to understand the meanings behind the cards and their format and then let them speak to you, that way you have the basic learning skills and the cards will work far easier,and it is easy when they are pointed out to you. Maybe we could do a bit here? I am catching up at the moment, just got home from being away over Christmas and have my new pc working now so will be online much more.

Xia :o)

ec

Post by ec » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:10 pm

hello again... of course...I'm a teacher so I agree totally on the learning should be fun... so let's give it a go... By here do you mean on this thread??? And I will try to be a good student, although I can't always get to a computer. What would you like me to do?

And thankyou very very much for offering so generously to teach me xx

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:39 pm

There is a tarot lesson (free of charge) on this site too. You can just go there and start reading people's interpretations of each card. And the deck that has been used is in fact the Rider Waite deck.

Furthermore, dont be in such hurry to do readings. Just pick a card a day and concentrate/meditate on it. And then you can make it three cards a day and just think about them and put them aside. At the end of the day, just re-examine the cards and see how they resonated with you and the day.

Return to “Tarot Reading Forum”