Interpretation Of Five of Cups - Upright - Minor Arcana

The Rider Waite Tarot Deck - Discussion and cards explained.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Tarot

Interpretation Of Five of Cups - Upright - Minor Arcana

Post by Tarot » Tue May 16, 2006 10:26 am

Five of Cups - Upright

Minor Arcana

This signifies loss and regret about something done in the past. You need to forget the past and make a new beginning. Relationships may be unsatisfactory. There may be some kind of sorrow or remorse in your life. You need to accept things as they are and move on.

Let's hear your interpretation of the card...

nicnic

Post by nicnic » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:17 am

This person is missing someone or something very bad. He had five cups, three of which are now spilled. He needs to save what he has left. He has to look to the future. What’s done is done.

Not being able to move on.

Making the most of what still remains.

Making a move to recover.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:34 am

he is still thinking about his bad fortune and feels he cant save the unspilt 2 cups anymore...the battle is lost.

samantha234

Post by samantha234 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:12 am

Turn your back on the past and what was lost, turn around and look ahead to the future and new opportunities.
also, three have been lost, but two remain

Owl of Minerva

Post by Owl of Minerva » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:15 pm

Three represents the party that is over. Two represents the love he still has within him or for someone else. 3 + 2 = 5 ;-).

Quote: "No use crying over spilt milk"

Literary reference: "Fear no more the heat o'the sun - nor the furious winter's raging..." This is the dirge written for Imogen's funeral in Shakespeare's Cymbeline. I love this song/poem - because Imogen is in fact not dead, so although the others are mourning what they fear they have lost for ever, they are pleasantly surprised when she wakes up.

This and the 9 of Swords for me represent my depression, which in reality turned out to be fear, lack, and negative thoughts counteracting any possibility of moving forward. As in metaphysics, the first thing is to concentrate on what you still have and increase that, rather than turn one's thoughts to the things you miss. While I was depressed I was constantly looking back at what I'd lost - I visualised it as a door slamming shut, leaving me in the dark and not allowing me to go back to the times when I was happy. However I needed to make decisions and that was all a test, primarily of loyalty to someone when things weren't going so well as opposed to the loyalty I felt when they were all going well. Once I realised that - it took me eighteen months just to do that - I could turn round and face what needed to be done to complete the test (at the moment I am in the Nine of Swords - on tenterhooks waiting for the results!!!), in the knowledge that I still had what was really important, and more importantly, I was in the right place at the right time to influence events once they started to happen again. Therefore actually this card in a reading gives me hope that things are not as bad as they seem. I finally passed through the door at the other end of the tunnel and back into the light.

xiyang

Post by xiyang » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:25 pm

This card shew in my reading 6 month ago, did represents my feeling at that time.

Depressed and lost mind. Feeling so bad and closed heart coz of the lost, broke up the relatioship. He focused on the spilt cups, but "no use crying over spilt milk", I remember Olw's word, nothing can go back. He should turn round to the 2 standing cup, he still has 2 left.

samantha234

Post by samantha234 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:09 pm

excellent on all!

cuddles45

Post by cuddles45 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:53 pm

IN readings I most often find this card when someone has done something they feel so guilty about..i mean real guilty about.
kinda like hanging there head in shame

drdave

Post by drdave » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:30 pm

the relationship is bleeding
Every cruel word causes another cup to fall
soon there will be no cups of love left
He looks away not watching and cherishing his love
he must beware
soon he will be really alone

Stacers

Post by Stacers » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:25 pm

I tend to get this one all the time, i mean 99% of the time i did a read so i took a break from it, but i think it means that you split what was suspose to be spilt but you cant turn your back or forgive it, you always go to it. but those 2 other cups are the ones who really care about you but you dont notice it, you just want the ones you spilt back to full.

Return to “Rider Waite Tarot”