Interpretation Of Six of Cups - Upright - Minor Arcana

The Rider Waite Tarot Deck - Discussion and cards explained.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Tarot

Interpretation Of Six of Cups - Upright - Minor Arcana

Post by Tarot » Tue May 16, 2006 10:29 am

Six of Cups - Upright

Minor Arcana

This is the time to make the best of new opportunities. Happiness may be brought to the present from the past. Too much of overindulgence about the pats may not be good. This may be the beginning of a new relationship.

Let's hear your interpretation of the card...

nicnic

Post by nicnic » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:08 pm

I find the first card a little hard to read. I know that the dwarf represents the past, probably because he is small I don’t know. There is a wishing well that suggest to me that maybe you wish you could change things from your past in order to change your future now. Maybe you could look to your past for answers in the now. Reliving childhood dreams.
(By the way Im reading from the Giovanni Caselli dect which is a close version to the rider-waite)

Going back over past events.

Wanting to be a child again, reliving your dreams.

Someone from your past could appear back into your life.

Reliving the past.

Meeting up or hearing from an old friend.

Owl of Minerva

Post by Owl of Minerva » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:41 pm

nicnic - I like that deck...very much a Six of Cups deck, in fact, a very comfortable and comforting deck with little aspirations to an occult or intensity of interpretation but good enough for most beginners or people who might feel uncomfortable with more intense symbolism being used.

Nostalgia and dreams of an idyll or peaceful life.

Contentment, satisfaction and comfort but at a lower level from the perfect fulfillment found in the Ten of Cups.

In a sense then it might have a slightly negative connotation that someone is in their "comfort zone" and is almost afraid of going further, or is living with one foot in the past and refusing to progress beyond where they feel comfortable.

There was a great theme song to an excellent British sit-com, Red Dwarf, about a party of space explorers trying to return to Earth:

"It's cold outside, no kind of atmosphere
"I'm all alone, more or less
"Want to fly, far away from here
"Fun fun fun, in the sun sun sun...

"I want to lie
"Shipwrecked and comatose
"Drinking fresh mango juice
"Goldfish shoals, nibblin' at my toes
"Fun, fun, fun, in the sun, sun, sun"

Everyone used to think it was just some made-up nonsense song, but on one of the DVDs the writers explained that the song represented the characters' desires for an easy, simple, Six of Cups life, with none of the trauma or high drama that they found on their voyage through space. Well worth a watch BTW for any metaphysics fans as their portrayal of time-travel and future "divination" was a real treat.

nicnic

Post by nicnic » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:28 am

That was very interesting and I loved the little poem.

Funny we should be talking about the 6 of cups and reliving the past. I see you are from reading in the UK .......some of my family are there and it has just brought back memories for me of the good times that we had there when we used to visit!

Return to “Rider Waite Tarot”