Interpretation Of The Lovers - Upright - Major Arcana

The Rider Waite Tarot Deck - Discussion and cards explained.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Tarot

Interpretation Of The Lovers - Upright - Major Arcana

Post by Tarot » Tue May 16, 2006 1:38 pm

The Lovers - Upright

Major Arcana

This is the time to understand and give a meaning to your relationships. Develop those that you feel need to be nurtured and cut off those relationships which are useless. Tell your loved ones how much they mean to u. there is optimism and freshness in the air.

Let's hear your interpretation of the card...

Nelope123

The Lovers

Post by Nelope123 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:51 am

The Lovers card represents your relationships.  This card indicates the differences between you and others and yet offers an opportunity for compatibility.

firehorse

The Lovers

Post by firehorse » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:46 am

This is the "choices" card both within the reals and occasionally beyond our physical/emotional ties.
Again, as always, subjective and interrelated to position and spread.

blessed be

Firehorse
"For some a blessing, For others a curse"

jennifercrowe

meaning to me

Post by jennifercrowe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:40 am

I have learned to look and see what it is beside.  in some cases it means to be obsessed with a person that you have feelings for.

Bella

Post by Bella » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:17 am

I'm going to start my interpretation by looking at the symbolism of this Rider
Waite card:

This card of Pixie's  uses Adam and Eve to illustrate the theme of choices.
Here both the figures are nude, and this could allude to their vulnerability and openness to what is around them - if we look we can also see that their vision is clear, there is nothing hidden in this card. The third figure in this card is an angel, the man looks at the woman and the woman looks at the angel and the angel looks down upon both of them. So we have the man on the right representing conscious thought, the woman on the left representing unconscious thought and the angel representing the higher self.

Both Adam and Eve stand in front of trees, Adam in front of the Tree of Life which you will note bears 12 fruits, these could be symbolic of the 12 Zodiac signs. Eve stands infront of the Tree of Knowledge from which only 5 fruits hang representing for us here the 5 senses, around its trunk coils a serpent and this is an ancient symbol of wisdom and sex.

The lesson given in this card is a very simple one, that when one becomes in-touch with their higher self and the unconscious and conscious is working in harmony then you have a clearer picture of any situation - this is a card about the ability to judge well and make balanced choices.

So its message here is all about making balance choices and it does symbolize the importance of how that choice may affect your life. The thing to bear in mind though when making a choice is that it usually means that something else has to be relinquished.

This is a card that can reflect on our choices within a relationship, not necessarily a love relationship, any kind of relationship be it business/love/friendship etc. It is a card that traditionally reflects for us the challenge we face in choosing a partner. When this card does relate to a romantic relationship it also illustrates for us that it is necessary to consider what is of real importance to you and not just be led by physical attraction.

With making choice it also brings to our attention that change will come with it, for in order to choose one usually gives something else up. This card asks you to weigh up what it is that you are choosing between, it can draw your attention to the positive and negative elements involved, and so you may find yourself in a position where you have a choice of taking a risk that could lead you to much greater happiness or whether you play it safe and stay where you are.

On a very simple level this card could be telling us that there is a relationship/love affair that will involve a trial or a choice - and so one of its hard messages is about becoming responsible for our own choices in order to grow.

It seems to me that whatever the choice is that you have to make with this card it will always be a heartfelt one :smt002

~ Bella ~
****~~~~****~~~~****~~~~****

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:15 pm

Very well put, Bella.
Thank you.
I like looking at these cards now - after sort of studying their meanigns - in their symbology meaning as well.
Thanks for your insight.
cedars

Bella

Post by Bella » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:33 pm

cedars wrote:Very well put, Bella.
Thank you.
I like looking at these cards now - after sort of studying their meanigns - in their symbology meaning as well.
Thanks for your insight.
cedars
Thanks Cedars - I enjoy writing about them and the whole process enhances my understanding of the cards too! I am glad that they are of some help to you.  :)

~ Bella ~
****~~~~****~~~~****~~~~****

astrologer50

Post by astrologer50 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:33 pm

Ruled by the sign of Gemini, the twins. Happiness and harmony in work or family, but also possible difficult decisions and gemini like the sign of libra is famous for procrastinating, in fact gemini doesn't even like making decisions if it can get away with it. It prefers others to do this.

So someone not ready or willing to make any kind of decisions any time soon.

manon

The lovers

Post by manon » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:29 pm

Thanks Bella!
does anybody know more about the angel above? I am not sure it is the representation of the higher-self. if i go back to the Bible, it would be Lucifer, the highest angel in the "ranking" wanting to become as powerful as God. He is grand but has an uncomfortable presence and colours. He is TEMPTNG them. He is happy with the present situation, amazed and a tad afraid of her new reaction, but she is looking up to the other developing considerations. So this is really the card of the TEMPTATION, of the CHOICE TO MAKE. Could be slippery soil, but also it could be enriching and in any case progressive.

Return to “Rider Waite Tarot”