Interpretation of The Sun - Upright - Major Arcana

The Rider Waite Tarot Deck - Discussion and cards explained.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Tarot

Interpretation of The Sun - Upright - Major Arcana

Post by Tarot » Tue May 16, 2006 2:26 pm

The Sun - Upright

Major Arcana
You are enthusiastic and passionate about your work. Your hard work is ready to reap good results. Be open to criticism. You are happy and satisfied with your accomplishment. You may receive lot of rewards and acclaims.

Let's hear your interpretation of the card...

Nelope123

The Sun

Post by Nelope123 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:09 am

The Sun card represents symbolically your ability to offer life to all things in the same way as the light of the sun does.  It gives you the opportunity, through nurturing love, to help others grow and flourish on their life journeys.

Bella

Post by Bella » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:43 am

As always before I give my interpretation of the Sun lets take a look at what Pixie Smith and Mr. Waite were trying to convey with the symbolism of the card.

THE SUN

Well the Sun is a card that is always most welcome, it seems to herald a happier time, a time when one is more confident about planning the future.
It's esoteric name is The Lord of the Fire of The World - this title reflects the Sun's ability to  light and heat the world.  Its ruling planet is the Sun (no surprise there!) - these of course are OGD attributions and its element is Fire (hot, dry).

In this card we see a naked child riding a white horse carrying a red banner of victory,  in a walled garden.  In his hair he wears a red feather like that of the Fool, this red feather connects him to Sun in terms of colour being fiery, the red feather in the Fool could reflect his desire but also his self confidence, and self confidence is something the  the Sun card is all about.    

The Sun has 22 rays and this could will be symbolic of the 22 Major Arcana cards, also I have read that the fact that they are straight and wavy represents the masculine and feminine energy. There are four sunflowers in the garden and these could be seen as a reflection of the sun on the earth, they could also be representative of the 4 elements in the pip cards. I also notice that the child has 7 sunflowers in his hair and I wonder if this reflects what the no. 7 as I have come to understand it means, which is insight, wisdom, personal growth and reflection - because the Sun is about arriving at a place where we understand ourself better. This is  the card which follows on from the Moon and if the crayfish in the Moon can be seen to be climbing out of the dark waters in the belief that there is something better, then the child can be seen as the crayfish transformed.

This cards message is often about finally understanding ourself and more than just that, its about being comfortable with whom we are and what we know. It signifies that we can acknowledge the things we can change and accept those that we cannot  - so one could say that the sun illuminates that inner light. This in turn results in a feeling  of joy and happiness, and a sense of achievement - which enables us to move forward to the Judgement card and transcend from one level of being to another.

This is a  positive  card that is full of optimism its a card that tells one not only to enjoy life but to enjoy it now.

So what can this card say to us in a reading, well apart from what I have mentioned above it can suggest that this is a good time for planning the future, it suggest a positive attitude, good health, high energy and strength. It's a card that speaks of success, achievement, happiness and joy.

The Sun can talk to you about having the inner strength to believe in yourself and stand up for yourself but at the same time it says you do not need to be center of the attraction as you already know your own worth!

So when you see the Sun appear in your readings, get out your sun lotion and bask in its warmth  :smt002

~Bella ~

better go and do the reversed now hey!

lilmisstarot

Post by lilmisstarot » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:05 am

I see it as a card of goal, dreams and desires working out just the way you planned.
Success and happiness.

astrologer50

Post by astrologer50 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:18 pm

To me the Sun is a new beginning, new love affairs, new work, new cycle, happiness and contentment coming, energy confidence, Success. Could suggest a baby on way, happy dealings with kids. Love great, work great

manon

The sun

Post by manon » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:10 pm

could also be the joy and happiness glowing on the inner child. Be happy, let go in confidence (the horse will take you). a dream come true, a holiday, a wonderful party.

Return to “Rider Waite Tarot”