Interpretation of The World - Upright - Major Arcana

The Rider Waite Tarot Deck - Discussion and cards explained.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Tarot

Interpretation of The World - Upright - Major Arcana

Post by Tarot » Tue May 16, 2006 2:28 pm

The World - Upright

Major Arcana

Trust people who mean well. Look at both sides of the situation before making a decision. Do not get bogged down by other’s views. Success is seen in the near future. Your hard work will be rewarded. You will feel fulfilled, satisfied and experience a sense of completion.

Let's hear your interpretation of the card...

luca

~The~World~

Post by luca » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:42 am

~~~holidays and travel time~~~mmMmmm ;-) completing a*chapter*. Ruled by planet Saturn~represent the four fixed* zodiac signs: Taurus~Leo~Scorpio~Aquarius~~~it is a very*positive major arcana~~blessing around with luck~joy***satisfaction~~fulfilment~creativity~~ read individual~~can speak* about your surroundings..like the cards* surrounding that arcana give insight about your(our) world*
~aloha~

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:54 am

Travel, international business, success, meeting someone from overseas

Nelope123

The World

Post by Nelope123 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:13 am

The World card reminds you that your life is an never-ending cycle. It encourages you always to be aware of the universal mind and the journey of your soul and also gives you the opportunity to be in tune with your soul's psychic gifts which have been with you since the beginning of your journey!

ec

Post by ec » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:42 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on the fact that the three animals and the person are obviously christian references.... they are symbols for the apostles... I can't remember which ones though....what could this mean??
a problem cannot be solved with the same consciousness that created it (Einstein)

ec

Post by ec » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:45 pm

Maybe it's the idea of going out into the world and taking your message and vision out there... that would work witht he idea of travel anyway.... without it necessarily being a spiritual/ religious thing.............???????????????
a problem cannot be solved with the same consciousness that created it (Einstein)

ec

Post by ec » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:46 pm

and what is she holding???

pirbid

The World

Post by pirbid » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:20 pm

:) You are right: the 4 corners depict the 4 archangels or, rather, the symbols associated with them. But, being an agnostic myself, I am out of my depth here and cannot give you their names.

For me, the meaning of this card is the completion of a cycle within the bigger cycle that comprises our lifespan. Something like having mastered the challenges of one of the major arcana stages before tackling the next, although I believe we go back to each of them time after time and learn each from a different perspective.

In this sense, the 4 figures might be benignly supervising our efforts and celebrating our triumphs with us, so to speak. Since I am not religious, to me it is our inner serene self watching our growing process and making us feel good about our success in order to keep us motivated.

She -although many decks describe the figure as hermaphrodite- is holding a couple of wands just like the Magician's. In his case it might be pointing at his potential to do things, while in the World's they could be picturing proven abilities. Just a thought, though  :smt002
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:46 pm

The four characters (heads) on the World card are also present on the Wheel of Fortune.
Lion, Bull, Eagle and a human.

Four mythical characters in four corners: these are varous strengths and wisdoms (see how they are all 'reading' a book - source of knowledge and wisdom) which we encounter along our journey.
The human is listening to the spirits and carrying the messages of the Universe.

The wreath made of green leaves signifies perpetual movement - as the shape - cricle - indicates.

I look at this card as Attainment and/or Completion of a certain goal or a cyle in our journey of lilfe - not the whole life, mind you, as this journey ends another one is bound to begin.

I feel good with this card when it shows up in readings - it lifts my heart. I am also inclined to say that this could also indicate long-haul trip, a journey perhaps?

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:13 am

I like the world card too.  I find she gives me hope and comfort and knowledge that a particular cycle is coming to an end and something fabulous is on the horizon.

Must be the eternal optimist in me....
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

astrologer50

Post by astrologer50 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Recognition, reward, attainment, harmony and complete fulfilment as if you are sitting pretty on top of the world with non too many cares or problems around you.

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Sat May 23, 2009 12:55 pm

The World card has very positive influence on any reading as a whole. I interpret this card as attainment in all areas of a person’s life. Fulfillment and completion.

The Four images are linked as follows;

King of Swords—Air, direction North.
Image--Eagle
The back of the Kings throne is decorated with sylphs in their butterfly form and in the more evolved form of fairies. The King’s crown has a cherub across it like a band. These evolved forms of air spirits are symbolic of the King’s highly evolved intellect. The winged human images connect him with the man, the symbol of St. Mathew, on the World card.

King of Cups---Water, direction South.
Image--Man
Zodiac: Scorpio-linked to St. John on the World card

King of Wands---Fire, direction East
Image—Lion
The King of Wands, also set in a desert, has salamanders and a lion carved on his throne. This King is associated with Leo due to the lion, representing the lion of St. Mark. This association can also be drawn on the World card.

King of Pentacles---Earth, direction West
Image—Bull
On the back and the arms of his throne he has four bulls’ heads. The heads correspond to the bull’s head on the World card. Taurus links him with the bull of St. Luke.

If we look at all these symbols on the card, they are looking inward to the wreath. In this wreath, we find a “female” figure. This however has appeared in previous decks as an androgynous being, image attached. We also see in this image that instead of it being a “woven” rope, it actually used to be The Wheel, in this sense not as the Wheel of Fortune but the Wheel of the Universe. You can also see that the images Lion, etc. appears on the body of this figure.

This was one of the forerunners to the World card as we know it today.

Blessed be
Attachments
orphanic phanes.jpg
orphanic phanes.jpg (180.79 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
Do as you want, Harm none!

manon

The world

Post by manon » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:34 pm

the lion is St. Marc. I don't know for the other corner symboles.

Return to “Rider Waite Tarot”