Interpretation of The Magician - Upright - Major Arcana

The Rider Waite Tarot Deck - Discussion and cards explained.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Tarot

Interpretation of The Magician - Upright - Major Arcana

Post by Tarot » Tue May 16, 2006 5:50 pm

The Magician - Upright

Major Arcana

This card signifies a strong personality with willpower, skill and creativity. This is the time to be adventurous and start new projects. Success is bound to follow soon. This signifies creativity and ability to understand you potential by taking risks.

Let's hear your interpretation of the card...

Nelope123

The Magician

Post by Nelope123 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:25 am

The Magician card signifies your conscious mind and the material world.  The Magician can help you set your goals and develop an action plan, and this card may serve as a reminder for you to examine the direction in which you are headed!

Bella

Post by Bella » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:06 am

The Magician!

My Keywords for the card are Make things happen/action/conscious awareness

Before I give my interpretation I'd like to look at the symbolism of this card and what it tells us about the way we would interpret it.

The Magician has above his head the sign of the mystical lemniscate - which looks like a number 8 on its side.  This is also the mathmatical symbol for infinity and therefore connects our Magician to timelessness. You will notice around his waist is a belt  that is an ouroboros - snake swallowing its tail and is an emblem of wholeness or infinity and reinforces the message of the lemniscate. He stands amoung red roses and white lillies which can represent opposite energies - masculine/feminine. The Red Roses may well be a symbol of desire while the White Lillies could stand for truth. On his table are four magical tools these have come to represent the 4 elements in the pip cards. Robert M. Place in The Tarot, History, Symbolism & Divination tells us
The Magician's relationship with these symbols aligns him with the fifth element, the Spirit.
The Magician stands holding his wand pointing to the heavens and his left hand pointing to the earth symbolising "As above so below". Which could be interpreted to mean that our spiritual side should be manifested in our reality.

So what is the Magician all about...... he appears to be the one who points the way to enable us to transform the possibilities in life into a reality. He indicates to us by the tools on his table that we have what we need at our finger tips to create the outcome we may desire. He is the one who shows you the potential for new beginnings and that you can tap into your creative and intuitive skills and he indicates willpower and the initiative to succeed.

His No. is 1 and therefore represents potential and opportunity, what he says to you is 'you have the power to create' and so he shows you the direction in which further development can take place and he expands his energies on his visions and ideals to which he is committed.

Karen Hamaker Zondag in The Way of the Tarot says of the Magician
The Magician is the urge to give our lives directed activity. Energetic action, target setting and self realization for the sake of gaining insight into reality.
This is a card about being aware of the power in your life and this can also been seen from the position of his hands - one receives the power whilst the other directs it.

Negatively this card may well suggest you are lacking self-confidence or that you are not quite grounded enough. It could mean the misuse of power and one who may manipulate others to his own ends. It could also indicate deception and/or trickery - of yourself or others - watch out for that Con Artist!  :smt018

Mainly though his message is about recognising that you have what it take to make things happen in your life!

Here's to magic  :smt006

Bella
****~~~~****~~~~****~~~~****

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:56 pm

keep it up Bella. I like it when you probe into the symbolism of these cards.
cedars

astrologer50

Post by astrologer50 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:30 pm

Ruled by the planet Mercury, it's all about communications. someone using losts of charm, brainwaves, independant, finish projects. New projects could be work or relationships. Great for communications, very pleasant, amicable, poss amorous and have a 'touch of magic' about them

manon

The Magician

Post by manon » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:22 pm

Bella's explanation was great!
i am new to this forum and not a very active tarot reader (only for family and friends). I am comparing your interpretation with the one i gathered from european litterature or personal experience. so happy to read your comments!
The magician is for me a very very exciting card. It has a strong sense of ego and empowerment. The possibilities are infinite with all the tools on the table in front of you, you can move things between heaven and earth. He stands firmly there and has to go for a strategy.
P.R. work, advertising, (internet? not quite sure)
...and an unavoidable touch of manipulation (when negativ)

Cascade of Light

Re: The Magician

Post by Cascade of Light » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:16 pm

manon wrote:Bella's explanation was great!
i am new to this forum and not a very active tarot reader (only for family and friends). I am comparing your interpretation with the one i gathered from european litterature or personal experience. so happy to read your comments!
The magician is for me a very very exciting card. It has a strong sense of ego and empowerment. The possibilities are infinite with all the tools on the table in front of you, you can move things between heaven and earth. He stands firmly there and has to go for a strategy.
P.R. work, advertising, (internet? not quite sure)
...and an unavoidable touch of manipulation (when negativ)
Welcome :)

I like the Magician card too. Definately one that could turn his hand to anything and everything :)

Cassie x
A cascade of light shone down on me, then the angels spoke, and set me free,
Cas x

Return to “Rider Waite Tarot”