Smanatha's Class 2006 - To all students Please sign in everyday!

Please note readings given here will be done by tarot students of varying levels with the purpose of improving their skills and knowledge. These practice readings will draw feedback on the style, the card interpretations and overall content.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

pranay

Post by pranay » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:55 pm

gosh!

i forget i was once a part of the class!

i should be expelled for non-attendence

BLouise

Post by BLouise » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:17 pm

Signing in this morning, I will be checking in periodically and trying to squeeze in some learning while I try to get my housework done :) Multitasking :)

Thanks George, is this your first try at learing the tarot?  Do you have the cards memorized yet? I think that may take me quite a while.  Have you been doing readings? If so what has been your feedback from the people you read for?

George

Post by George » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:26 pm

BLouise wrote:Signing in this morning, I will be checking in periodically and trying to squeeze in some learning while I try to get my housework done :) Multitasking :)

Thanks George, is this your first try at learing the tarot?  Do you have the cards memorized yet? I think that may take me quite a while.  Have you been doing readings? If so what has been your feedback from the people you read for?
it is my first attempt at learning the cards.  I would say i finally decided to buy a deck and start to learn about four months ago.  do not have the cards memorized yet! but for sure getting a real feel for the cards and picking things up rather nicely.  these lessons here have helped without question.  by the taking the first lesson on the cups court cards you get a feel for what all the cups are about and not just the meaning of one card but all of them.  i did 2 readings on myself, one for a lady at work, and this weekend for a friend (although that one i didn't really wont to do just now).   the readings i did for myself was a scary insight (good scary).  they seem to hit the mark.  the lady at work seem happy and gave me good feedback on her reading.
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:41 pm

You are both dooing the right thing....and we are watching the topic....so just cry out if you need help for anything :)
Good luck :)

BLouise

Post by BLouise » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:12 pm

Signing in.
There is so much to remember.  I have a different deck and each suit is based on a story from greek mythology.  I find that it is a little easier for me to remember the meanings as a stage in the story.  The meanings vary a little from the Rider Wait deck, but not by much.  It is the same principle.  I have been trying to read the book a little each night and so far I'm through the cups and wands.  I need to test myself and see if any of it has stuck.

I have tried to do readings for myself and I just can't seem to make sense of them.  I did a reading for one guy and he was very happy, but I tried to do a reading for another girl and she was very impatient.  She didn't understand why I couldn't give her a direct answer.  I was just trying to tell her what the cards were telling me and she wouldn't have it, so I've been reluctant to read for anyone again until I get a better grasp on the cards. I have a hard time applying cards that I see as "money" cards in a spread where someone wants love advice.  Does that make sense?

That is great George that your readings have gone so well.  Congrats!

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:56 pm

Just a speedy comment :)

It's right that books and here on the site you find "complete" stories or interpretion of each card.
If you use those notes when you yourself shall do a reading, you do it very difficult for yourself...in my opinion.

That's the reson I suggested you shall go with the "short notes", they shall  somewhat be equal in the Tarot as a whole, with some small adjustment from the author.

When you then make a spread, you start to interpret each card in contex with the question and the quarrant using those clue words, If you try to fit the finish interpretion from the book into this you will be stuck...and all layout will have the same meaning for the same card...and that is not true :)

I am not sure I have explained it good enough...ask if not :)

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:06 pm

I will try to show it.. I have "edit" my class work in Reading and made the key words wich I used to build the story.

I am not saying the Reading in itself are anything special :)

http://mysticboard.org/vi ... 1325#31325

BLouise

Post by BLouise » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:39 pm

Okay, I think I get what you are saying.  I should try to look at each card as a concept and apply that to the question or situation instead of trying to make the "written meaning" fit.  I think that is why I am having such a hard time relating to the cards.  I am trying to squeeze in a specific meaning into my life instead of just applying the concept, which fits much better in most cases than just a definition.

Thanks Rhutobello, I think once I get those little stickers on my cards I'll have an easier time.  Instead of trying to look up the meaning.

George

Post by George » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:11 pm

BLouise wrote:Signing in.
There is so much to remember.  I have a different deck and each suit is based on a story from greek mythology.  I find that it is a little easier for me to remember the meanings as a stage in the story.  The meanings vary a little from the Rider Wait deck, but not by much.  It is the same principle.  I have been trying to read the book a little each night and so far I'm through the cups and wands.  I need to test myself and see if any of it has stuck.

I have tried to do readings for myself and I just can't seem to make sense of them.  I did a reading for one guy and he was very happy, but I tried to do a reading for another girl and she was very impatient.  She didn't understand why I couldn't give her a direct answer.  I was just trying to tell her what the cards were telling me and she wouldn't have it, so I've been reluctant to read for anyone again until I get a better grasp on the cards. I have a hard time applying cards that I see as "money" cards in a spread where someone wants love advice.  Does that make sense?

That is great George that your readings have gone so well.  Congrats!
Rhutobello is right, tell the story you feel from the cards and do not just give the meaning of the cards.  see the card's meanings as the base and then add your own flair.  i couldn't quite get the readings that felt right on myself until i looked outside the box.  The cards have several meanings and depending on the cards falling next to it you may just use one small speck of their meaning to fufull you story.  

A quick thought, As for the pentacles (money type cards)  just look at it this way.  Money hurts, kills, weakens, etc a lot of relationships and may affects the love.  so maybe apply them in the sense that money may get in the way or hinder progress in building love, saving a realtionship, etc.    Also, money can help build a strong relationship by providing secruity to the home and family, the well being of all involved.  if a raise is coming and you finally can buy a new home, car etc then all is good.  

the first reading i did my querent ask one question of the cards.  As we stood there i was able to put the story together.  i went home did the reading again (i've saved all my placements of cards) and reflected on them and type them up, so i could post it here and to give her a hard copy of the reading. that reading stayed about the same.

now i did my second reading sunday and i coudln't finish it that day.  she ask no question so i knew i was looking for a big picture and not just an answer to a question so it was a little harder for me.  i had an ideal what the cards where saying so  monday i reread the cards again and boy the what a picture it was.  acctually after i get done with this post i will email to her.  anyway, she was kind of shocked that i had to look up most of the cards up although i was happy with myself because i knew a couple.  i think she wanted me to tell her everything right away and she seem to get bored waiting for me.  i find i should have given her a better warning how long it was going to take.  

I'm seeing is the only way to truly grasp the cards is to do the readings for others.  i'm starting to remember the meanings of the cards better when i use them in real life and give meaning to them in a reading.  i was reading the book and then online and it was helping and give me so focus but the true meat is in the reading of the cards.  the sad part is that you got someone that was negative about what you had to say about her cards.  don't let her get you down by no means, read and read again for as meaning as possible.  people are like that when they can't get their way.  you will always get people like that... learn from it and grow from it. then in the future you will learn how to deal with people like that.  

btw, i knew both ladies i did the readings for. the second one better then the first so it was really clear what the cards meant because they all screamed she was in a rut and needed to changed within.

anyway, don't give up its gets a lot more fun when you get a little use to it.   :smt006

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:39 pm

Since you both seems eager to learn I will recomend a date program to you :

http://www.orphalese.net/index.aspx

It's the best there is. You can download it as a shareware with free use for life with some limitations.
You need to install a 20mb addition to windows operationsystem called .Net. Many new programs will use it, so it's no vaste of time.

I shall not list all the option here...you can read it on his site....if you download and have any question about it...feel free to ask....i believe i can it pretty good :)

And yes George...some days the card tells you nothing and the next day all....so you are quite right, nice story :)

BLouise

Post by BLouise » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:10 pm

Thanks for the encouragement George.  I get what you mean w/ the pentacles.  I'll try to apply that when I do a reading.

I guess another thing I'm having a hard time with is seeing the big picture, I get stuck consentrating on the individual cards.  I guess it all comes with practice.  I'll just have to keep at it and try to become more familiar with the cards.  I have to really study the cards before it all starts to make sense.  I think it might have something to do with my inability to concentrate on them while my two little ones are running around me  :smt003

Thanks Rhutobello for the link.  That is a great program.  I'm still trying to figure out how to access the different decks after you download them, but the deck that comes with it and has the notes is very useful.  It is very flexible and easy to use.

All this input is really helping understand, thanks :)

web_guy

Post by web_guy » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:02 pm

my first attendence. i joined here to learn tarot. very new to this forum, and learning.

BLouise

Post by BLouise » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:18 pm

Yeah, Welcome Web Guy!!  Our group is growing!  I am a fellow student and I've been studying tarot here for about 3 weeks.  I recommend first browsing through the posted topics and then starting the 1 lesson which is the card meanings (or not, which ever works for you).  I'll put the links to lesson in this post for you.  It has four parts, one for each suit.
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=11374
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=11375
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=11376
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=11376

Post any question in the question thread:
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=11686

Great to have you, hope you enjoy it here!!

George

Post by George » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:28 pm

web_guy wrote:my first attendence. i joined here to learn tarot. very new to this forum, and learning.
welcome webguy  :smt006

this is a good place to learn and the group is getting bigger by the day!  :smt004

mom2ericha

Post by mom2ericha » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:54 pm

I would like to sign up for this class! I just downloaded the software also. I used to mess with the cards many years ago but when my daughter was young, she got into my cards and decided to play with them and lost them. I have got a cheap set for now...its a pretty set though....I feel good vibes in them so I guess thats all that is needed. I look forward to studying with you all!

Return to “Learn Tarot - Practice Readings”