Timing Cards Textbook

This is main Learn Tarot Forum. General tarot lesson questions and answer can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

cybee

Timing Cards Textbook

Post by cybee » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:40 pm

WARNING

Please, please be carefull when you start to use timing cards for the first time as giving the wrong time can be as bad as giving the wrong reading or interpritations.
Try to practice as much as you can with your spreads and incorporat your timings at the end.

The Tarot can be used to time certain events in life that may occur when certain cards in the Minor Arcana appear before or after a card from the Major Arcana.

If card numbers 2, 3, 7, or 9 appear immediately before or after a card from the Major Arcana, then this allows the reader to see possible timings and gives a more defined reading to the querent who is able to see when a situation may arise.

When this happens it's called a conjunction, of which there is a Minor and a Major.
This conjunction should be interpreted separately from the initial reading because it adds an additional layer to the read-ing and gives greater clarity to the querent's circumstances. If more than one conjunction appears in a spread, these two configurations should be interpreted separately, because in all probability they refer to separate events.

The Minor Conjunction

So if a number 2, 3, 7, or 9 card from the Minor Arcana appears immediately before a Major Arcana card, a minor conjunction occurs that indicates that the querent is beginning to embark on a new cycle. The energies inherent in this cycle are determined by the energies specified in the cards.

Twos
The number two generally refers to challenges in partner-ships, which almost always refer to couples, partnerships, duality, and pairs. Two as one more than one refers to our need to extend our level of awareness beyond our egocentric concerns to those of our partner or friend.

Two of Wands = Two Days
An event is likely to occur within two days that may concern business partnerships or creative endeavours. The nature of the beginning cycle will be indicated by the Major Arcana card, which follows the Two of Wands. Because the suit of Wands is so active, the cycle should begin shortly after the reading.

Two of Cups = Two Weeks
An event is likely to occur within two weeks that concerns relationships involving attachments of a highly emotional nature.

Two of Swords = Four Weeks
An event is likely to occur within four weeks concerning communications with a friend or partner. Contracts, phone calls, and other forms of communication will figure prominently.

Two of Pentacles = Two Months
An event is likely to occur within two months. During this period, the querent needs to focus on property, money, and financial matters. These financial concerns may be the result of an agreement with another person.

Threes
Threes refer to expansion and growth, and signify a need for independence because they are one more than the coupling two.

Three of Wands = Three Days
In approximately three days the querent will receive further guidance concerning issues relating to the card depicted in the Major Arcana. These concerns will deal with a creative endeavour or business pursuit.

Three of Cups = Three Weeks
In approximately three weeks the querent will find that a part of his or her destiny is coming into effect, which could represent the beginning, continuation, or change of plans. This could be a very emotional time with expectations of much happiness. The card drawn from the Major Arcana will give further clues to the situation.

Three of Swords = Six Weeks
During the next six-week period the querent is likely to feel a sense of loss. Although he or she may feel a bit melancholy, the worst of this difficult time will be over soon with the resulting outcome reflected in the card from the Major Arcana

Three of Pentacles = Three Months
During the upcoming three-month period the querent will be preparing for awards and recognition. Success is likely, but he or she will need to persevere and develop their skills in order to assure a positive outcome. The Major Arcana card following the Three of Pentacles will show the querent the area in which they will achieve.

Sevens
When a seven precedes a Major Arcana card, a choice needs to be made. The querent has reached a crossroad in her or his life and must make a choice before continuing on their journey. The seven deviates from the general pattern of the previous conjunctive cards because each suit of seven will be activated in approximately seven days.

Seven of Wands = Seven Days
The upcoming week may be rather tense for the querent as his or her concerns centre on business or creative matters. They may be required to stand up for themselves or defend their area of expertise. The following Major Arcana card will reflect the nature of this situation

Seven of Cups = Seven Days
In the upcoming week the querent needs to expand his or her level of awareness and look closely at the opportunities available to them, because some of the alternatives may not deliver hoped-for outcomes. Although things may not be readily apparent, the querent will soon begin to see with greater clarity.

Seven of Swords = Seven Days
During the upcoming week, the querent needs to re-evaluate his or her current situation. They may have been influenced by a proposition that seemed too good to be true; they will realise that they have been deceived. Because of this, they may be inclined toward self-pity, but instead should concen-trate their efforts on future prospects provided by the card drawn from the Major Arcana.

Seven of Pentacles = Seven Days
During the upcoming week, the querent needs to arrive at a decision regarding his or her career, possessions, or finances. It seems that they have put in a great deal of effort and are now entering into a period of gestation. It is important to know that if this preparation was of a solid foundation, the outcome will be stable, but if the querent failed to properly prepare, then the outcome may not be what they desire. Nevertheless, the situation will come to fruition during the upcoming week and the associated card pulled from the Major Arcana will indicate the nature of the outcome.

Nines
Nine represents the end of a cycle in traditional numerology and is considered one before the end in the Tarot, with the ten representing completion. Nines generally have a lot of power, which is cultivated through the previous eight cards. With nine, the querent feels the need to go back and reflect, re-evaluate, and release that which he or she no longer needs. Each nine is stimulated in two stages comprised of twenty-eight days. The first stage is composed of nine days and all existing forces will be broken down during this period. The second stage lasts for a duration of nineteen days and during this period the new cycle begins.

Nine of Wands = Nine Days Followed by Nineteen Days = 28 Days
During this period, the querent needs to finish what he or she has started. It is not the time tp give up because with a little extra effort they can reach their goal. The associated card from the Major Arcana reflects what they are likely to encounter during this new cycle.

Nine of Cups = Nine Days Followed by Nineteen Days = 28 Days
During this period, the querent is likely to experience a lot of joy and happiness. He or she should experience their first ele-ment of joy within the first nine days, and the remaining days will strengthen the initial peak.

Nine of Swords = Nine Days Followed by Nineteen Days = 28 Days
During this time, the querent will find that he or she is let-ting go of a lot unpleasant thoughts. They may be reluctant to release these opinions that have been with them for such a long time, but in order for them to enter into the next cycle it is important to let go of these memories.

Nine of Pentacles = Nine Days Followed by Nineteen Days = 28 Days
During this time the querent is likely to experience signifi-cant events relating to money or material possessions. He or she may feel that their life is at an impasse because nothing is right, yet nothing is wrong either.

Major Conjunctions

A major conjunction occurs when a card from the Major Arcana appears before a timing card. This indicates that the major event has already appeared in the querent's life, and the influences of the card impact the person first, as he or she then experiences the energies represented by the Minor Arcana timing card to complete the conjunction. The differ-ence between these two types of conjunctions is that the major conjunction signifies the end of a cycle, while the minor conjunction depicts the beginning of one.

Cybee

dee

timing cards text book

Post by dee » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:01 am

hi cybee. this is divyaa

I have been exploring the tarot for some years- and for me its an Arabian nights journey-with there always being more to discover! I found your piece on timing interesting, and hope to practice it. Is there anyplace i can pursue this in more depth-read it somewhere or ask you to share more!

I have on occasion used the timing contained in the elements/suits and also i feel many cards hint at a time frame within their symbolism or 'meaning'- for example 9 wands/4 swords showing a longer time frame ; or 8/3 wands showing a quickening....(based on the other cards naturally)

I have come across another system-, which uses the ace in a Celtic and the 10th card to then calculate a month/week/day even! Alas i cannot recall which book or site i came across it- because i have it scribbled on a piece of paper! Will post it if anyone wants to try it out.

I personally stay away from using a fixed system to depict timing-as i feel the whole tone of the reading and inherent language of the cards works better for me. More so i feel each tool as its strengths and challenges and the tarot is not ideal for accurate timing and I usually share the following with  my clients/students :

Tarot is not the ideal tool for linear timing as it deals with the language of the unconscious; which works on its own psyche time and not fixed calendar dates. Moreover, tarot points out probabilities and opportunities and thus it is up to you to make them happen in your time frame. However there is a built in system based on numerology, astrology, and the meanings of the cards, which can guide you in larger rather then precise terms…eg: have patience it will take time, rushing will not help –to- you have all it takes to manifest it soon if you….) and this plays an important part of the guidance the cards offer.

'Too blessed, to be stressed! Too anointed, to be disappointed’’

love dee

gracejo

Timing Cards Textbook

Post by gracejo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi Cybee, what about the Aces to depict timing? I read they represents each of the four seasons of the year and actually in my experience they hardly fail in my readings. I see Ace of Cups as Summer, Ace of Wands as Spring, Ace of Coins as Fall and Ace of Swords as Winter. Can you tell me your opinion about this, please? Anyway I agree with Dee too as time is a human invention and tarots is something metaphysical so it's not the ideal tool to get the exact timing, but who knows, world of tarot is so mysterious I think there are infinite new surprises in it.
Love Gracejo

Return to “Learn Tarot”