Gem's Tarot Classes - Sign Up & Learn

This is main Learn Tarot Forum. General tarot lesson questions and answer can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Gem

Gem's Tarot Classes - Sign Up & Learn

Post by Gem » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:53 pm

Hi everyone :)

I wanted to say hello to you all :)

:smt006

I know that at first the tarot boards can seem confusing and a bit disjointed, not knowing which is current and which out of date etc, where to post and who is what etc, so I am hoping that by starting this thread we might all be able to say hello and get to know one another?

There is alot of good, solid advice all over these boards, so please do nose around and see what you find. Any questions just ask :)

When learning Tarot, you will find that most people use the Rider Waite deck. Why?  Because this deck has  the normal 78 cards and each one has an easy to understand picture! and funnily enough many decks don't which can make them very hard to read.

If you don't have the RW deck, don't worry, you can still learn the Tarot, but please let me know which deck you do have so we discuss it. Another thing that you can do is to download the Learn Tarot Software which is based on the Rider Waite Deck and has the pictures and information
http://mysticboard.org/mb ... -software/

OK so I will start the ball rolling...

My name is Gem and I love the Tarot, I have a growing collection and have been reading tarot since I was a teen. The last few years I have swopped over to helping others to learn the tarot and to try and get everyone to read happily and confidently. It is a great honour to be asked to be your new teacher and share my knowledge and enthusiasm with you all, and hopefully we can all learn together.

Some of my favourite decks apart from the Rider Waite include Nefertari's Deck and the Tarot of The Witches, which was used in James Bond Live and Let Die.

Look forward to meeting you all  :)
Last edited by Gem on Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gem

Hi George

Post by Gem » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:56 pm

Hi George and welcome :)

You seem to be the first one here lol!

Hopefully a few more will be here soon.

*Star*

Post by *Star* » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:59 pm

I am here  :smt003

Thank you Gem.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:32 pm

I'd been thinking about learning the tarot and with my friend Gem here, what better time to start?  I am a complete newbie and will look again at the MB learn tarot downloads.  I am very interested in a Goddess Tarot (saw one I want to get, will let you know which one it is).
The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom while he sits by his hearth at home.
Quickly finds when questioned by others that he knows nothing at all.
- The Havamal, verse 26

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:35 pm

Hello Gem, just enroling for class.  I learned tarot from the Rider Waite set, but for face to face readings I use Tarot of the Cat People.  The pictures on the cards are beautiful and all the cats in it are my best friends lol.

I look forwards to class  :smt024

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:23 pm

Yay!  Hi everyone :)

George, Star, Earl and Suzi   brilliant!  Anyone else?

Earl have you ever used Rune Cards...?  Goddess Cards sounds like you.

Suzi the cat tarot is lovely :)  Meow!

Star are you using the Rider Waite?

I'm hoping that we can all support each other and help each other learn. Looking back over the past months it seems that a less structured and more fun approach might work well to keep the interest flowing?

Everyone learns at their own pace and in their own way. There is no one right way, and to learn properly takes enthusiasm, commitment and dedication (oooh scarey words!) so I think it is best to taper things to the individual as much as possible, but with a solid base and foundation of knowledge, and a large helping of fun :smt003

Even now, after many years I find I am still learning things from the cards.

sally moorby

Post by sally moorby » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:15 pm

hi gem just wanted to sign up for ur class i have been struggling along on my own trying to learn the tarot, and sometimes can be a bit daunting.. i am very excited to start the class i also read doreen virtues angle card[orracal]
hi i am a 29 yr old single mum,new age girl interested in anything to do with spirital work and interested in chating with like mined guys and gals.....

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:35 pm

Hi Sally and welcome :)

I love the Angel Oracles too, beautiful cards, you must be half way there if you read them :)

Do you have a tarot deck that you will use? I know it can be hard on your own, its much more fun in a group I think?

sally moorby

Post by sally moorby » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:49 pm

yes i do have a set but not sure what kind they are, in my deck the high pristess is called junon if that helps i will look at getting a new set but think these will do fine to start with...
hi i am a 29 yr old single mum,new age girl interested in anything to do with spirital work and interested in chating with like mined guys and gals.....

*Star*

Post by *Star* » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:36 am

Gem wrote:Yay!  Hi everyone :)

George, Star, Earl and Suzi   brilliant!  Anyone else?

Star are you using the Rider Waite?

I'm hoping that we can all support each other and help each other learn. Looking back over the past months it seems that a less structured and more fun approach might work well to keep the interest flowing?

Everyone learns at their own pace and in their own way. There is no one right way, and to learn properly takes enthusiasm, commitment and dedication (oooh scarey words!) so I think it is best to taper things to the individual as much as possible, but with a solid base and foundation of knowledge, and a large helping of fun :smt003

Even now, after many years I find I am still learning things from the cards.

Hi Gem, I am a complete Newbie, i dont know anything about tarots and the decks.  i was always interested, but didnt know how and where to start. With your help, i hope i will learn the art.  

I've tried the virtual tarot readings quite a few times, so i am familiar with the different tarot cards . i let the virtual reader choose the deck for me, because i dont know about the different decks and their purpose.

online, i have tried newage tarots, mystic, lotus, facade and more..
i like the newage, mystic and lotus because they dont show reverse cards. reverse cards are disappointing.  

I dont have a set/deck of my own tarot cards, can i use the online ones for now..

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:03 am

I would also love to join the class! I have a Spanish deck and a Rider Waite deck but I much prefer the Rider Waite cards. I have read a few books on tarot but most of it for me is trial and error and a long and fun learning process. Using intuition and gut feeling is key in reading and trusting your thoughts and opening up your mind are so important.

I do readings for friends, family and also absent readings for people I have never met. They tend to be pretty accurate and successful but I believe that everyone can learn more. Nice to meet you all here and I can´t wait to learn more!! :)

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:25 pm

Hi Star :)
I dont have a set/deck of my own tarot cards, can i use the online ones for now..
  Yes of course you can. I think thats a very good idea. Although I bet it won't be long before you want your own deck in your hands lol, you can actually use normal playing cards, but to be honest they are very tricky for a learner and I don't want you to be put off.

Another thing you can do is to make your own, some people print out the pictures then paste them onto card and use them that way, they are fine whilst learning but the majors do tend to get a little worn and easy to tell which are which if you use them too long.

I would go for the http://mysticboard.org/mb ... -software/  first, but there are lots of other versions that give readings too, under the Tarot Forum heading.  Hmm In fact I am really not needed at all, the software is self explanatary and easy to use  <sobs>

StarrySkies, Lovely to have you join us, I agree with you that the world of tarot is so vast and changing there is always something new to investigate and learn. A lot of the learning is self-study and the bonus of having a group and a tutor is that we can all share and support each other during the tough, and boring parts and then all celebrate and share the joy of a successful journey and readings :)

....George, Star, Earl and Suzi, Sally, Starry, &nbsp;we are growing daily, did I miss anyone?

*Star*

Post by *Star* » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:47 pm

alright! so iam all set :)

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:32 pm

Another thing I have just finished playing with is posted here http://mysticboard.org/vi ... 6459#76459

Small pictures of all the major arcana from the Rider Waite deck. So everyone can look at a glance and see the cards we mean :)

The first part of our journey is also posted under Tarot Lessons and Tutorials &nbsp;http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=24380

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:50 pm

Sounds great! Do we answer on the threads themselves, the tutorial answers I mean?

Return to “Learn Tarot”