Frequently Asked Questions

This is main Learn Tarot Forum. General tarot lesson questions and answer can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Gem

Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Gem » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:25 pm

There are literally thousands of different tarot decks available today.

How do you choose? Which is best?

My answer would be very simple. You choose the one that you like, the one that you pick up and look at, the one that you are drawn to and want to open and look at and hold.

Which is best?  The one you like! The one you feel comfortable with, the one that you bond with, attune to, the one that talks to you :)

But, the Rider Waite deck is the one most used by teachers and classes everywhere. It has colourful pictures that are easy and simple to read. It has a picture on every card which is more than some decks.  Using the same deck means that everyone has the same image to work with and from there on other decks can be learnt and the imagery transferred and interpreted easily.

Many many people get confused between Tarot Cards and Oracle Cards.

Tarot cards are made up of 78 cards, each with a common general meaning no matter what deck is used. Oracles can have anything from 8 cards to 200 and they have their own set of meanings that are unique to that particular oracle.

Oracle are very useful and can give lovely accurate readings. On the whole they have messages written on the card so they are easy to interpret and give a good reading, they also tend to concentrate entirely on the positive, whereas tarot does contain some cards that can be seen as negative in some placings.

Once you have made your choice of cards don't be surprised if you want to buy other decks to try out too, that often happens.

Which decks do you have and what made you choose them?

George

Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Post by George » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:00 pm

Gem wrote:There are literally thousands of different tarot decks available today.

How do you choose? Which is best?

My answer would be very simple. You choose the one that you like, the one that you pick up and look at, the one that you are drawn to and want to open and look at and hold.

Which is best?  The one you like! The one you feel comfortable with, the one that you bond with, attune to, the one that talks to you :)

But, the Rider Waite deck is the one most used by teachers and classes everywhere. It has colourful pictures that are easy and simple to read. It has a picture on every card which is more than some decks.  Using the same deck means that everyone has the same image to work with and from there on other decks can be learnt and the imagery transferred and interpreted easily.

Many many people get confused between Tarot Cards and Oracle Cards.

Tarot cards are made up of 78 cards, each with a common general meaning no matter what deck is used. Oracles can have anything from 8 cards to 200 and they have their own set of meanings that are unique to that particular oracle.

Oracle are very useful and can give lovely accurate readings. On the whole they have messages written on the card so they are easy to interpret and give a good reading, they also tend to concentrate entirely on the positive, whereas tarot does contain some cards that can be seen as negative in some placings.

Once you have made your choice of cards don't be surprised if you want to buy other decks to try out too, that often happens.

Which decks do you have and what made you choose them?
i'm using  "The Original Rider Waite Tarot Deck".  When i bought my deck i was looking for the oldest style cards that i could find.   this deck seem to be whalt i was looking for.  my mother had a deck ages ago and it looks just like them as far as i can remember.  i'm still wondering what became of the cards i can't seem to find them at this point. i have always love the art work of this deck!

i also have "The Santa Fe" deck which i never really liked and was sorry that i bought them.  it was the first deck that i bought.

:smt020
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:54 pm

Hi George,  thanks for sharing, how are you getting on with your RW cards now?

The Santa Fe is very unique and unusual isn't it, rather striking.
Image Image Image

George

Post by George » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:29 pm

Gem wrote:Hi George,  thanks for sharing, how are you getting on with your RW cards now?

The Santa Fe is very unique and unusual isn't it, rather striking.
Image Image Image
To correct myself on the Sante Fe deck its not that i never like the art work its just i could never connect to the cards. they just weren't what i was looking for in a tarot deck now for the RW i love them with out question!  :smt008  when i've done readings they seem to be right on the mark!  i fall in love with them the first day i opened them!    :smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:35 pm

I live in Spain so it´s hard to get cards! I started with some spanish ones but didn´t like them. They loved me and gave me spot on readings!!

I got some Rider Waite ones for my birthday (2nd January, if you just saw my tech help thread!!) and like those more.

Can anyone tell me the name of the tarot which I am trying to attach a picture of? I love it and would like to buy a deck like this.

(Hang on... hope it attaches!!)  :smt004
Attachments
moontarot.jpg
Moon tarot is the filename... is that what the deck is called?
moontarot.jpg (13.07 KiB) Viewed 4039 times

Gem

Post by Gem » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:11 pm

Hi Starry, that card is from the very beautiful Llewellyn Tarot Deck :)  they have a website Llewellyn.com if you want to investigate further or see the other cards.

George, its great when you click with a deck isn't it :)

starryskies

Post by starryskies » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Thanks for that info Gem. I really do adore those cards!

renushka2002

hello everyone

Post by renushka2002 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:17 am

Please can someone tell me what is the significance of the house and the green fields in the 10 of wands. Iwill apprecaite all help.  Best regards to all

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:59 am

Hi renushka, we haven't covered the suit cards yet, they will be covered in the next few weeks. Its far easier to study the cards in turn so that the story unfolds and the journey follows on. But the ten of wands for me is about carrying a burden, working hard even though there is a bright safe place on the horizon, perhaps working whilst others don't, perhaps struggling and juggling to keep the happy balance....

Magewyntyr

My Deck

Post by Magewyntyr » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:51 am

My best friend gave me this deck years ago. Water ruined it. During a major transition in my life, I replaced the deck. Water ruined it a second time. This is my third time around with this deck. It survived the evacuation from hurricane Rita and I just found it again.

I love dragons. This deck calls to me. :)

http://photo.ringo.com/222/222836446O205432512.jpg

I'm practicing with it. I hope to learn more here.

:smt006 Blessings,

Wyntyr

Return to “Learn Tarot”