What deck would you start out with first?

This is main Learn Tarot Forum. General tarot lesson questions and answer can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

bellevalentine

Post by bellevalentine » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:25 am

Interesting fact..The Rider Waite had masonic symbols in them since the one of the creators was a mason =)

crone

Decks I like

Post by crone » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:56 am

The Rider Waite decks are good to start with for those new to tarot, and even when you have been studying for awhile. It seems most of the books and courses use this deck. I like to add the New Vision deck when studying also, it shows a different view of the Rider Waite deck (from behind the cards). I have recently began to explore the Thoth deck. It is a little more complicated but the art like most decks it very interesting. If you want to have some fun for Halloween the Halloween deck is adorable. It's a blast at your Halloween parties.

Crone - Happy Halloween!

mystic67

Post by mystic67 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:34 pm

I like the Robin Wood tarot.
It was my first deck and still the one I look to most. A little more gentle that the rider waite deck
Donna

kqueen

New

Post by kqueen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:15 am

Hi I'm new here, Please help. it is so complicated
All the Best

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:47 am

What help do you need Kqueen?
Ask away :)

Isoniahtar

Post by Isoniahtar » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:13 pm

I for one am trully faithful to the Rider Waite. I have two right now, one I use for me and one for the others, but I do intend to get a Tarot of the New Vision for readings that involve me and the others. I've had my issues with my decks, especially my first one, but we've finally having a peaceful and efficient relationship. I do prefer the RWS style and I don't need the change. I tried to look closer to the Marseille deck, but indeed it's too complicated and I am too used to Rider Waite, that I can't connect to other decks. Anyway, I think that RW is the best choice for beginners, especially because it has inspired so many other decks and it is very expressive in its simplicity. I also recommend reading Waite's notes on the cards and his opinions, and of course other experts. It has helped me a lot. I still use my own notes on cards (I've gathered info from various books and sites), and learn interesting things, like the origin and history of a certain card, facts, symbols, etc. I do my own intuitive reading, but I'm still not confident enough as to not use my notes too (as in selecting what I feel is needed from all the meanings). It really depends on what kind of person you are, how you like to learn, how you acquire info better. I always understand things better after I have documented enough on the subject.
2+2=5

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:32 pm

I agree with you about the Rider Waite Isionahtar!

Return to “Learn Tarot”