What deck would you start out with first?

This is main Learn Tarot Forum. General tarot lesson questions and answer can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

appylover

Post by appylover » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:09 pm

:)  I just started learning tarot. The deck I bought is The Rider Waite Tarot Deck. So far so good. For me this deck has made it eaiser for me to understand their meanings.  Eventually I would like to try another deck. Their are some nice ones out there.

pirbid

New decks!

Post by pirbid » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:12 am

:) I am really happy now I have finally got my 3 new decks.

I have now gone through all 22 Majors (although I cannot post more of them now because my image hoster is down at the moment) comparing them among themselves and also with RW.

I then browsed through the Minors and saw that two of them were so RW based that they are very easy to follow if you are coming from the Rider. While the Universal Fantasy deck is beautifully creative and I could look at each image for hours, but I would have a hard time gleaning meanings from them.

So my final conclusion is that I think I will be able to read with both Llewellyn's and the Guilded tarots. Between these two, I would say the Guilded comes closer to RW most of the time, since Llewellyn's is based on Welsh folklore and myth and their heroes and heroines not always fit the bill exactly, although they are a beauty and not that hard to follow either.

If anyone is interested in seeing any specific Minor card from any of these 3 decks, I will be happy to post it. Because of scanner restrictions I will only be able to compare the 3 decks for the Major Arcana and maybe some of the Minors. Court cards are going to be tough, though, since they go in families and these are pretty big decks.

Also, if anyone wants me to stop posting them in the Learning forum, that is also fine (less work for me  :smt003 ). I do it in case anyone was thinking on getting one of these decks and wanted to browse before deciding.  :smt007
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

blacksnake

Post by blacksnake » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:34 am

thank you guys, i'm a beginner too but what's the best to start exactly?

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:50 am

blacksnake wrote:thank you guys, i'm a beginner too but what's the best to start exactly?
Hi,

Did you actually read the thread? Its all there :)

Elis Lopes

Marseille cards

Post by Elis Lopes » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi, I've been reading about tarot for a few months and have a marseille deck. Have tried a few readings with friends and is amaising the resuls you can get... What is your opinion on the marseille cards?
Elis

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:20 pm

They aren't the easiest because of the pips, the minors have just 6 swords or 5 cups etc, but a fantastic deck and one of the truest originals :)

George

Re: What deck would you start out with first?

Post by George » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:41 pm

Flame haired one wrote:I am curious about tarot, but, worried about the amount of 'intricate' details.  (remembering it all)  What deck would you recommend for a beginner?

Thanks
listen to Gem and she will lead you on your path!   :smt026
when i first bought my RW deck as much as i wanted to learn there were so many cards so many meanings it was just overbearing and i almost just dropped it all because of that feeling i'm never going to get this.

there were two teachers before Gem came and stayed for the long haul.  i've been reading tarot ever sense she came without going back to book for every card.    i would recommend taking her class!  i can't thank her enough for  all the work she does!                                                                  :smt020

:smt006
Common sense dictates there is no such thing as common sense.

mietooo

Post by mietooo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:44 am

I'm just learning tarot, so thanks for the link it's great!

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:49 am

Mod Note: Sadly the links are nothing to do with us!! They are pure advertising. We do not endorse them in any way and I would recommend you learn tarot with my free course here on Mystic Board and NOT through one of these red links. They are not approved by myself or anyone else here at Mystic board.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:50 pm

I agree with you Bandit.
I would say, stay away from that deck.

you made me laugh there..... LOL

amberpsychics

Post by amberpsychics » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:56 pm

I'm Irish and I started with The Celtic Tarot, I love the artwork and I read the pictures which helps in the readings I have been doing for the last few years. I have to say when I was getting my first deck I went to an astrology shop and must have stayed there for about an hour looking at all the different deck and just went with the one that I felt a pull for, I used the same principle when getting Oracle cards or any other divination tool!!

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:00 pm

ALTHOUGH......... I hasten to add...... I do like the Rider Waite deck. It was and still my frist deck and am not yet inclined to get another deck.

amberpsychics

Post by amberpsychics » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:04 pm

I've got loads as presants, I have a vampire deck 2 raider's and a lord of the rings but I havent even taken the plastic off them I am happy with my deck, I think most readers love the deck they start on

George

Post by George » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:04 am

Gem wrote:Mod Note: Sadly the links are nothing to do with us!! They are pure advertising. We do not endorse them in any way and I would recommend you learn tarot with my free course here on Mystic Board and NOT through one of these red links. They are not approved by myself or anyone else here at Mystic board.
logged on to see someone hacking the board just to walk away and come back to see you all are on top of fixing the problem!   :smt002

stand corrected they still are hacking the site!  :smt012

you know its funny a web site that hacks another and you suppose to trust them to do a reading for you even though they have no ethics because they going after your money!     :smt018

JewelOfTheSouth

Post by JewelOfTheSouth » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:43 pm

The first deck I ever had was Tarot Of The Spirit. If you can read that, you can read anything. I did master it but I grew tired of it or I out grew it. I passed it to a friend who has an innate ability to read palms. She has tried to master it and has done a good job, and she won't turn loose of it. lol My favorite deck is Londa tarot which is now out of print. I have a copy and use them, but I have others that I really like too. I guess it depends on the energy I am feeling that day and what deck speaks to me. I have about 3 that I go to when I am doing a reading. I have tarot of a moon garden, but I am not fond of it. I have never owned A.E. Waite's deck. I was not drawn to it. The golden dawn and the thoth decks I have owned and wasn't impressed either. But, that's how it goes. I have am not able to includ my interpretation of the moon card from the major arcana I'm working on.  I can't find where to upload it at. I already created several more. I wanted to show you at least one. I'd be interested to see what others think about them. They are in the beginning stages and not ready for the press yet.

Gentle Hugs,

Julie
The Universe Always Keeps Her balance. Lady Karma always shines through the darkness....

Return to “Learn Tarot”