What deck would you start out with first?

This is main Learn Tarot Forum. General tarot lesson questions and answer can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Flame haired one

What deck would you start out with first?

Post by Flame haired one » Wed May 23, 2007 5:38 pm

I am curious about tarot, but, worried about the amount of 'intricate' details.  (remembering it all)  What deck would you recommend for a beginner?

Thanks
It is the eye of ignorance that assigns a fixed and unchangeable color to every object; beware of this stumbling block.

Gem

Re: What deck would you start out with first?

Post by Gem » Thu May 24, 2007 11:45 am

Flame haired one wrote:I am curious about tarot, but, worried about the amount of 'intricate' details.  (remembering it all)  What deck would you recommend for a beginner?

Thanks
Hi,

Have a look at this thread http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=26924  it will help you too :)

For learning I would recommend a Rider Waite deck, so that would include the Radiant Waite deck or the Universal Waite or the Original Waite deck or Rider Waite Smith deck. The creator Arthur Waite was one of the first to have pictures on all cards, instead of just secretive symbols like 6 cups or 5 swords etc.

The good news is this tarot class is all about Intuitive tarot reading, so no learning meanings and remembering long boring paragraphs of this card measn this etc. Obviously there are a few things that you will need to master but not the cards :)

It should be fun, simple and quick :) and then if you choose, it can lead on to a lifetime of deeper insight and knowledge that can be neverending as we discuss decks and where they came from, the symbology, astronomy and rune power of the tarot in the advanced tarot studies :)

Flame haired one

Re: What deck would you start out with first?

Post by Flame haired one » Thu May 24, 2007 4:55 pm

Gem wrote:
Flame haired one wrote:I am curious about tarot, but, worried about the amount of 'intricate' details.  (remembering it all)  What deck would you recommend for a beginner?

Thanks
Hi,

Have a look at this thread http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=26924  it will help you too :)

For learning I would recommend a Rider Waite deck, so that would include the Radiant Waite deck or the Universal Waite or the Original Waite deck or Rider Waite Smith deck. The creator Arthur Waite was one of the first to have pictures on all cards, instead of just secretive symbols like 6 cups or 5 swords etc.

The good news is this tarot class is all about Intuitive tarot reading, so no learning meanings and remembering long boring paragraphs of this card measn this etc. Obviously there are a few things that you will need to master but not the cards :)

It should be fun, simple and quick :) and then if you choose, it can lead on to a lifetime of deeper insight and knowledge that can be neverending as we discuss decks and where they came from, the symbology, astronomy and rune power of the tarot in the advanced tarot studies :)
Thank you fro the information, I will be busy for the next 8 weeks...once I am through that 'moment' I would like to begin trying to learn...

Thanks.
It is the eye of ignorance that assigns a fixed and unchangeable color to every object; beware of this stumbling block.

ghotie

Post by ghotie » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:13 am

I bought Quick and Easy tarot deck with the upright and reversed meanings written on the card.  This concept may appeal to you if you are like me and have a very bad memory.

Gem

Post by Gem » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:01 pm

Ghotie, if you took the learn tarot calss you would realise that you can learn to read intuitively that does not require you to learn fixed meanings :)

Stormy Ravenfeather

thnx

Post by Stormy Ravenfeather » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:56 am

this helps sooo much guys thanx
~Stormy Ravenfeather~

aesonknight

I tell my student to

Post by aesonknight » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:05 am

I tell my student to start with a deck they like. be it becuase of the pictures or becuase of how the cards work but i feel that each person need to find a deck that speaks to them it like shirits your not going to like the same shirt everyone esle is wearing.

of course I teach that my student to find the meaning of each card for them self.
LOVE AND LIGHT
AESON

tarottart

Post by tarottart » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:30 am

:)  I think whatever deck you feel the most comfortable with, as really its what comes from you yourself intuitively, what you pick up, your interpretations, I started with the Rider Waite deck as found them easier to connect with then.

Bandit81101

Re: I tell my student to

Post by Bandit81101 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:11 pm

aesonknight wrote:i feel that each person need to find a deck that speaks to them

What if the deck that speaks to you doesn't speak to you in a nice way?  Would you still reccommend that the person uses it, just because it does speak to them???
Fairytales don't tell children that dragons exist, they already know that dragons exist.  Fairytales tell them that dragons can be defeated.

Gem

Re: I tell my student to

Post by Gem » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:33 pm

Bandit81101 wrote:
What if the deck that speaks to you doesn't speak to you in a nice way?  Would you still reccommend that the person uses it, just because it does speak to them???
ROFLMAO, good point!  and NO!

Bandit81101

Post by Bandit81101 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:54 pm

As wide spread as the deck is that speaks negativlly to me, it's rather hard to avoid.  But I do my best :)
Fairytales don't tell children that dragons exist, they already know that dragons exist.  Fairytales tell them that dragons can be defeated.

Gem

Post by Gem » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:38 pm

Which decks have you tried and which dont you like and why?

Have you investigated dragon tarot decks? Or faery tarot decks?

I firmly believe that there is a deck for everyone )

Bandit81101

Post by Bandit81101 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:36 pm

Gem wrote:Which decks have you tried and which dont you like and why?

Have you investigated dragon tarot decks? Or faery tarot decks?

I firmly believe that there is a deck for everyone )
The deck is the riderwaite decks.  I talked about this in another thread, I just don't remember which one.  It gives me the creeps, even online versions, and makes me nauseous.  I stay away from them whenever I can.

I have friend that have other Tarot and oracle decks, and I have a few oracle decks myself.  But for some unknown reason I have a problem with those decks.  I found a deck I like (Madame Endora's Fortune Cards) but I don't really feel connected to them.  I'm thinking of looking into Runes. :) Who knows what path that search could wield.

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:43 pm

I remember the thread, and you said the Thoth was the same, but have you tried any dragon decks or faery decks? Perhaps your siggy is the clue?

Bandit81101

Post by Bandit81101 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:37 pm

Gem wrote:I remember the thread, and you said the Thoth was the same, but have you tried any dragon decks or faery decks? Perhaps your siggy is the clue?
I looked both of those up online, since I haven't seen them in person.  And I didn't feel much of anything for either of them.  I guess it's good that I didn't feel anything adverse to these either :)

Return to “Learn Tarot”