Question about the deck after a reading

This is main Learn Tarot Forum. General tarot lesson questions and answer can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

ShyLittleBit

Question about the deck after a reading

Post by ShyLittleBit » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:58 am

I have a question about what you should do with your deck after you do a reading? Should you term them all in the same direction or put them back in order or just put them away the way they end up?  :smt017

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Whatever your intuition guides you to do.
I usually shuffle them and put them back in its box or wherever I store the deck.
Sometimes, I dont do anything; I put them back only to reshuffle when doing a new reading.

I am not a believer in these rituals. I believe in treating the cards respectfully. I talk to them sometimes after a reading; I thank them for a reading when I feel drawn to. I keep them  in a clean and safe place.
I cleanse them sometimes wtih my Reiki symbols or just say a prayer to dispell all previous energies.

agata

Post by agata » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:49 pm

I also don't believe in those rituals. I've read a lot about it and discovered that people do so many different things after they had finished the work with cards that there can't be only one true version. I just say "thanks" to the cards and then put them in a special box. Some people believe that cards must always lay segregated into major and minor arcana according to their numbers, etc or that they have to "clear" their cards by means of holding each card above the flame of a white candle. There is also a conviction that you should  knock on the table with the deck in order to let the negative energy go to the ground (if someone else touches your deck during the reading) but it sounds for me like a superstition! People do those things because they believe that if they don't, some bad energies will harm them.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:00 pm

I agree agata.
Although I keep my cards in a silky pouch, but that was not my choice; it was given to me and unless I find a better place to keep them, I will use that silk pouch.

Kaperuzita

Post by Kaperuzita » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:18 pm

I agree with Cedars and Agata. I usually thanks the desk and just  put it back in its box. I just clean it when it starts feeling "heavy" or when I feel it needs cleansing. For that I light an incense stick (usually sandal) and pass each card through the smoke. But I've only done this once a year or less.

Kaperuzita

Post by Kaperuzita » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:20 pm

I agree with Cedars and Agata. I usually thank the deck and just  put it back in its box. I just clean it when it starts feeling "heavy" or when I feel it needs cleansing. For that I light an incense stick (usually sandal) and pass each card through the smoke. But I've only done this once a year or less.

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:07 pm

I think it all depends on how often you use your deck and what the reading was like. Putting the deck back in order removes any possibility of the same cards recurring unless they are the right cards, no bad shuffling reasons lol.  I smudge when the deck feels sticky, or heavy, or I use a crystal or a breath of light to clear them :)  Fascinating how many rituals there are  that some people use when it comes to Tarot. :)
A cascade of light shone down on me, then the angels spoke, and set me free,
Cas x

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:52 pm

Isnt that so Cas?

Sometimes I Reiki mine.
Sometimes I fan and blow on them.
Sometimes I use the pendulum.

But, am not obsessed to doing it right after every reading.

As to the idea of putting all the cards back in their numerical order........hmmmmmm....... too much work if you ask me.
I have had a case of one querent getting the very same cards as the previous one. I reshuffled the cards vigorously and also asked the querent to shuffle it (which I dont usually ask them to do) and carried on with their reading. I believe spirit will bring out the cards as they are meant to be.

Return to “Learn Tarot”