Learning Card Meanings

This is main Learn Tarot Forum. General tarot lesson questions and answer can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

MysticMari

Learning Card Meanings

Post by MysticMari » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:10 pm

I have been reading tarot professionally for many years, and I wish someone had given me this advice when I was first starting.

Try not to be too concerned with the card descriptions or the information given in a little booklet when you buy a tarot deck on what certain cards mean. Lets face it, memorizing the meanings of cards is not only hard, its boring! Instead find a deck that suits you and that you enjoy looking at and focus on the picture of the card. Concentrate on how it "feels" to you and what you feel the meaning of the card should be.

You can put the description manual aside and go strictly on your own meanings or use it as a basic refrence point, but experiment with what feels right to you. You don't have to follow the "rules"! :)

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:13 pm

Hello MysticMari

I couldn't agree with you more. But as all tarot learners, we go by the book meanings at first and we mistrust our intuition. I also agree that once we get the 'feel' of the cards, then we can make our own understanding when giving readings and I have found myself completely deviating from the textbook meaning of the cards. And, they have made sense to the querent too.

Good point you have raised.
Thank you.

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:54 pm

:) In fact, that was the main point Gem taught in her tutorial. And it is a very liberating experience to verify how most of us reach the same conclusions when looking only at the images -provided we are all looking at similar decks, that is-. Once you rest assured of that truth, you feel much more inclined to follow your intuition in future readings.

Although I still enjoy reading new meanings from different books and also from the readers here. In fact, I believe the main reason for making all readings public on the board is so that we can all benefit from each other's experience.  :)
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:59 pm

I agree Pirbid.
There are times when a standard card portrays a different interpretation and a meaning under a spread and in a reading...... and it does make sense! That is the beauty, isnt it?

Return to “Learn Tarot”