A short introduction to Tarot--Discussions and feedback.

This is main Learn Tarot Forum. General tarot lesson questions and answer can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:43 am

Very happy to see that you are enjoying the material posted by Payewacker.
He will be very pleased and express his thoughts to you, I'm sure.

Best wishes in your journey.

Soaring Eagle

Intro to Tarot

Post by Soaring Eagle » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Crowley and Waite were both a part of the Golden Dawn, but because of differences in theory, Crowley split from the Golden Dawn, thus creating the Temple of Set.  Both Crowley and Waite based their tarot decks on the Sola Busca Tarot deck.

Sorry this is so short, but I truly have not studied the history of tarot.  I do have several books sitting in boxes in the United States, while I am in Mexico.  It's been very hard to find books in english, or find someone to order them.  I now have one on order, and hopefully it will not take too long to arrive.

I enjoyed the comparison of tarot to playing cards.  I had never realized there was a connection.  There is something new to learn every day, and I am learning a lot here.

Loveandlight

Homework- Beginnings Response 1

Post by Loveandlight » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:26 am

Greetings,
As I read this late last night I will post more of a response soon. However I felt the overwhelming urge to post what I immediately was given during my perusal of the essay.

In the split between Golden Dawn and Crowley and his subsequent creation of Thoth using adapted philosophy, does the change alter the message of the cards and spiritual realm? Or at least the interpretation one makes from the cards. I understand that the cards are but tools to help focus and form the message given, but if the difference was profound enough to split the GD to form Temple of Set, then surely the resultant read one gets will too be different. So ultimately when developing yourself with the cards is it perhaps not wise to stream one way or the other and avoid any potential confusion.

Like I said just the strong question that I took from the essay. Will post back soon after crawling the web for further info.

Love and light
Jason
May love and light shine on you

Loveandlight

Homework-Beginnings response 2

Post by Loveandlight » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:40 am

OK so I have now read some more and haven't even got to the tarot part yet. What a can of worms and I must say OMG it was like watching days of our lives whilst reading it. The formation of GD from the Masons to the division of ranks by Mathers and Crowley to subsequent formation of ToS by Aquila (formerly Church of Satan) following Crowley's teachings albeit in my opinion a distorted sense of understanding. It was interesting to note that each site I visited put their own spin on the Crowley story.
GD made Crowley and Mathers to be seen as rebels within their teachings, plotting against other members. Thelema sites portrayed Crowley as a visionary and founder. While CoS and ToS sites played him as hero and inspiration although they seemed to really only use his teachings to fit their viewpoints. Namely the freedom of self to do as they will twisted into do whatever you want in the name of a higher power. Aquila (ToS founder) even went onto say in an Oprah interview that New Age is but a watered down form Satanism, they (the New Agers) just dont know it. One religious site went as far say Crowley, ToS, CoS etc were all the work of the devil and regularly performed sacrifices. CoS co-founder Levay denied these claims saying they never did sacrifices. In which the web site author refutes saying that sacrifices etc were performed, but to pull in recruits they downplayed it. An interview with Susan Atkins (Manson Family member) stated she was close friend to Levay and that he often told her of sacrifices being done. Wiki had a neutral view I feel, and while not the most reliable source, did explain  a lot. Without reading and understanding the underlying philosophies behind GD teachings ie Hermetic Kabbalah and the writings of Crowley such as the Book of Law and the Book of Thoth, I cannot express an accurate opinion. However I generally feel that Crowley took the Hermetic Kabbalah and adapted it from what he believed were teachings from his guide. Somewhere in this adaptation, Crowley's love for hedonistic tendencies influenced his view and subsequent works started take on the feel that they are seen as by many today.
If I have misread or got this wrong please dont be offended. This is just my take from an hour of web reading. Now to the Tarot part.....

Love and Light
Jason
May love and light shine on you

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi Jason,

You did a lot of research but you need to be carefull not to loose too much focus in the "politics" happening at that time. These groups have really spun into some form of obscurity even if they are still active. We must be carefull to consider a firm view on sacrifices. Every religion does the same thing, just in another form.

You will now start understanding how the "new" or modern Tarot was formed. From a lot of critisicm and infighting we have many decks formed. But ultimately we follow RW.

Blessed be.

Return to “Learn Tarot”